PDA

View Full Version : Polarizers for 90 f/5.6 SA XL

DrPablo
7-Sep-2006, 09:42
I'm thinking about getting a polarizing filter for this lens, which takes a 95mm thread filter. The ideal for me would be something that works with the Lee 4x4 filter holder. Otherwise I'd need something 95mm that I could adapt for my smaller lenses. The problem is I could almost buy a new lens for the cost of some of these filters. any thoughts?

Curt Palm
7-Sep-2006, 10:59
circular polarizers are much more expensive then linear ones, my understanding is that you only need a circular polarizer if you are doing through the lens metering

Ralph Barker
7-Sep-2006, 15:55
Footnote 7 on page 93 of "Murphey's Law Expanded" says, "If you buy the 95mm polarizer, your next lens will almost certainly take 105mm filters."

I'd suggest getting a 105mm and an adapter ring.

Don Hutton
7-Sep-2006, 15:56
I'm thinking about getting a polarizing filter for this lens, which takes a 95mm thread filter. The ideal for me would be something that works with the Lee 4x4 filter holder. Otherwise I'd need something 95mm that I could adapt for my smaller lenses. The problem is I could almost buy a new lens for the cost of some of these filters. any thoughts?
Lee make a 100mm square linear polarizer - and a push-on filter holder which fits around the barrel of the 90mm XL - works perfectly.

Eric Woodbury
7-Sep-2006, 16:49
Not sure what you are doing, but it is difficult to use a polarizer with a wide angle lens. Outdoors, polarization changes so much with angle that skies will be uneven as will any sun polarized light.

Calumet sells a nice 4x4 plastic linear (at least they did). A simple holder or home made holder works with all my lenses, 72mm to 800mm.

DrPablo
7-Sep-2006, 18:32
I already have the Lee wide angle 4x4 setup with a 95mm adapter. I'm not looking for a circular polarizer, just a linear one.

On my SLR I use polarizers with good effect down to 17mm, which is wider than the 90mm on my 4x5. I wouldn't use it for wider than that, but I think 90mm is narrow enough.

I'll check to see if Calumet still sells that filter.