PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Tech 70 cam question

Michael L
6-Sep-2006, 20:26
Hi guys,

I've just acquired a Linhof Technika 70 that was made in 1967. I've seen very little info on this camera and I can't figure something out; The original warranty card has the serial numbers of the camera and the three lenses hand written from the factory ,however, the trilobed metal cam located in the bed of the camera has no serial numbers engraved on it? Does this mean that even though the 3 lenses and camera were sold together they might not be factory cammed? Were these engravings only on certain "types" of the 70's? I think I just don't understand enough about the cam/serial number issue. Any help much appreciated,Thanks,
Michael

Brian Ellis
6-Sep-2006, 21:28
There should be a number on each lens and that number should match the number on the cam. AFAIK this numbering system was used for all 70s, not just on certain types, but I'm not an expert on these cameras, I'm just generally familiar with the numbering system from reading about it. If there's no number on your cam I would assume that the original cam was replaced at some point in time. Do the numbers on your lenses match the numbers on the warranty card? If not then this would indicate that someone replaced the orignal lenses and acquired a new cam for the new lens.

Michael L
6-Sep-2006, 22:27
Hi Brian,

The numbers on the lenses match the warranty card but there are no markings of any sort on the trinagular disc. The odd thing is the owner passed away within a year of buying it new and I was the first person to open the case in 40 years. So I'm still stumped

Brian Ellis
6-Sep-2006, 22:32
Sorry but my limited knowledge is exhausted but unless someone else can help if you're in the U.S. I'd suggest contacting Marflex or Bob Salomon at HP Marketing and see what they have to say.

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2006, 07:00
The cams, when cut, are marked on the bottom with the serial number of the camera it was cut from (they are not interchangeable between cameras unless both cameras are sent to service to be modified) and the top of the cam has a focal length stamped on each lobe with the esrial number of the lens that matches that lobe.

The factory made 4 different cams for these cameras (also for the Super Technika V 6x9):

A neutral cam for no particular set of lenses
A cam with lobes for 65/100/180mm lens sets
A cam with lobes for 53/80/180mm lens sets
A cam with lobes for 53/100/180mm lens sets

If your cam has no serial numbers on it then it is not cut to match any of your lenses or your camera.

If your lens has focal length markings on the top of each lobe but no serial numbers then it has not been cut for your lenses. There probably is no camera serial number on the bottom of it either.

If your cam is completely unmarked then you either have the neutral cam uncut or a home made one that may or may not have been cut and matched to your camera and lenses.

Michael L
7-Sep-2006, 22:10
Thanks very much Bob