PDA

View Full Version : Argentum Camera

Oren Grad
5-Sep-2006, 10:26
A new LF camera maker (tip o' the hat to APUG, I wasn't aware of this outfit until I saw the thread over there):

http://www.argentumcamera.com/_angol/html_pages/home.htm

Check out the specifications and prices...

Ernest Purdum
5-Sep-2006, 10:43
I find some of the design features interesting, particularly the front rise provision of the "architec" in which only the lens panel moves, so that the bellows are not affected. Years ago, many cameras, particularly in G.B. and other European countries, used such sliding panels. often together with conventional front rise and fall, but it has become uncommon since.

Brian Ellis
5-Sep-2006, 10:52
I find some of the design features interesting, particularly the front rise provision of the "architec" in which only the lens panel moves, so that the bellows are not affected. Years ago, many cameras, particularly in G.B. and other European countries, used such sliding panels. often together with conventional front rise and fall, but it has become uncommon since.

If I understand your description of this correctly Deardorff 8x10 cameras have that same feature, which I think is great. I've always wondered why more LF camera manufacturers haven't used it.

Ron Marshall
5-Sep-2006, 11:03
The Excursor model, while having minimal movements is incredibly light: only 1.75 pounds for the 4x5 and 2.6 pounds for the 5x7. The prices are also reasonable.

Heinrich
25-Nov-2006, 09:48
Hello,

does anybody have experience with one of the argumentum cameras?

Regards
Heinrich

Ted Harris
25-Nov-2006, 13:13
Kerry Thalmann and I have both been in touch with them, Kerry much more than me and I expect he will be doing a review of one or more of their offerings as soon as he can get his hands on one.

bglick
25-Nov-2006, 13:46
Who would ever have dreamed that so many LF camera makers would surface when LF use is at an all time low. Toyo used to employ 35 people, now they emply 2 people... And yet, we have amazing offerings now from this company and of coruse Fotoman who has entered the LF market with a bang.... Very impressive...

Ted Harris
25-Nov-2006, 14:07
I'm not sure that LF is at an all time low. That might ahve been true a few years ago but it seems to me that there are folk joining the ranks these days than leaving it.

BTW, "Toyo used to employ 35 people, now they emply 2 people" that is an interesting numbefr that I have never seen before, where does it come from?

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
25-Nov-2006, 15:31
When new cameras and models of existing ones keep coming out we can't say LF is at a low. Furthermore, it is quite encouraging to see people designing new cameras. This means that film and other supplies will also be available for quite a while, and as long as we remain dedicated to our hobby, the art and craft of photography will continue on.

bglick
25-Nov-2006, 16:12
Ted, Toyo facts came from a long time Toyo dealer. Linhof has has its troubles, Sinar, Wisner, etc. etc. I think its clear the demand has fallen since the advent of digital. Of course there has been a few rising stars in their place.

Emrehan, I fully agree... more camera makers is great for our field.... the more users, the longer film will be around, which is our biggest concern... at least color... B&W will be here forever as these are smaller concerns making the film.

My only point was, its rare in a declining market that people jump in the manufacturing business....can you imagine a company starting in business today - to make color film?

Keep in mind guys, I am not the enemy, I am on your team, I want LF film to stay here forever.... just mentioning an opinion...

Jimi
27-Nov-2006, 17:17
I am expecting my 5x7 Excursor during late december or early january. It'll be interesting, no doubt. It's so hard to ascertain manufacturing standards and how a camera is going to work in real life situations from a website. It's really buying blind - but sometimes you have to take a risk... :D