PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 4x5 viewing screen

Bill_1856
4-Sep-2006, 12:16
How does the GG/Fresnel which comes with a Tachihara 4x5 compare with bright screens like Maxwell and Beattie? Thanks.

Capocheny
4-Sep-2006, 15:11
Bill,

No comparison at all... but then you're not paying $200+ for the GG/Fresnel which comes with the Tachihara either.

FWIW, their screen is pretty bright on its own.

I'd also recommend the SatinSnow screen. I have them on all of my cameras ranging from 4x5 to 5x7 to 8x10.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2006, 19:09
I've used a Beattie, a Maxwell, and the Tachihara original equipment screen. Maxwell is in a class of its own IMHO, the only screen I've used that's even close is the BosScreen. There was a period of about four years between my use of the Tachihara and the Beattie (which came with another camera I bought and that I quickly replaced with a Maxwell) so I can't really compare them very well except to say that I liked the Tachihara screen fine, it wasn't great because of the usual problems associated with all Fresnels (except Maxwell) but it was very bright. I didn't care for the Beattie (though I had been using a BosScreen right before the Beattie so maybe it's not a fair comparison). The only after market screens I'd buy would be Maxwell or BosScreen (they're very different screens but both are very good) but that's just my opinion.

Dan V
5-Sep-2006, 09:00
Bill,

Many users reportedly find the original Tachihara screen bright enough, but I found that replacing it with a Satin Snow screen was an improvement - particularly considering the more-than-reasonable price of the Satin Snow.

The Maxwell screen has a reputation of being one of the brightest on the market but can easily set you back over $200 for the Tachi. Contact Bill Maxwell for details (http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index2.html). He's a pleasure to speak with - but be prepared for a long conversation as he loves to share his knowledge.

My newly ordered Maxwell screen hasn't arrived, so I can't tell you now just how great it is; but I expect to be pleasantly surprised.

-Dan

Bill_1856
5-Sep-2006, 12:28
Bill,

Contact Bill Maxwell for details He's a pleasure to speak with - but be prepared for a long conversation as he loves to share his knowledge.

-Dan
Yes, I've had the pleasure of speaking with him before (at length), but at least it was on his nickel. His Long Distance bills must be terrific. Hope he got his divorce and custody problems straightened out.