PDA

View Full Version : William Garnett

Merg Ross
3-Sep-2006, 17:43
I have recently learned that William Garnett passed way on August 26 at his home in Napa, California. His aerial photography, in my opinion, ranks with the best fine art photography produced. He received three Guggenheim Fellowships and his work has been exhibited and collected worldwide. He was 89.

Kirk Gittings
3-Sep-2006, 19:03
Sorry to hear that. He had a very unique vision and true mastery of his technique. I always greatly admired his work. It seemed like in the last few years he had been largely forgotten and young photographers were not aware of his contributions.

Eric Biggerstaff
3-Sep-2006, 19:58
That is sad, he produced so much beautiful work. He was also a great teacher and I know Alan Ross will be very sad as Garnett was the teacher who got Alan started. His work was truely unique.

Thanks for posting this Merg.

Brad Rippe
13-Sep-2006, 12:22
I am extremely saddened to hear he passed away. I was fortunate to be his teaching assistant for several years in the mid 70s at UC Berkeley. He taught me how to use a view camera, how to print (from some hideously bad negatives) and was one of the most patient and generous teachers I've ever had.
He admonished us not to quit what we were studying and take up photography exclusively. I know he struggled for many years raising his family by working in photography.
A few years ago he invited me and several other students of his to a show of his work at a Napa Valley winery. It was a memorable trip, viewing his incredible black and white aerial photographs, and drinking champagne.
He inspired me to design a tethered balloon suspending a camera to photograph archeology sites in Sardinia Italy. There is a very interesting book by Beamont Newhall called "Airborne Camera" (1969) in which Garnett has many images.
The best book of his black and white aerial photographs is called, "William Garnett
Aerial Photographer" (UC press, 1994.)
Many years ago I bolted the foundation of his Napa home for earthquake resistance in exchange for one of his sand dune prints. I told him I was getting the better deal by far.
A toast to Bill Garnett.
-Brad Rippe

QT Luong
13-Sep-2006, 12:31
He had a very unique vision and true mastery of his technique.

Many, if not most, of his images were shot while he was piloting his own plane.

Tuan.

Mark Sampson
13-Sep-2006, 12:48
And in his earlier days, he used a 4x5 Speed Graphic. A remarkable photographer, a beautiful body of work. I'm sorry he's gone. One of those people you always wished you could have met.

Merg Ross
14-Sep-2006, 21:25
Brad, that is a very poignant reply. My earliest memory of Bill goes back to the late 1950's when he buzzed Brett Weston's house in Garapata Canyon. It was years later that I met him at a show of my father's work in San Francisco. He had a delightful personality and certainly a profound influence on my photographic vision. His work will continue to be an inspiration.

As an aside, Brad, you were his teaching assistant at UC Berkeley in the mid 70's. Did you happen to know my dear departed friend, Gary Prather, who managed Garnett's photo lab at Environmental Design?

Regards,
Merg Ross

steve simmons
15-Sep-2006, 05:34
One of the most impressive exhibits I've ever seen was at the Visions Gallery in SF (I think that was the name) of Garnett's black and white work about 1978 or so. Simply stunning.

steve simmons

paul stimac
15-Sep-2006, 06:16
He's my favorite photographer of all time. I'm sad.

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2006, 19:00
Very sad news. He was an inspiration for many aerial photographers. Very sad news!