PDA

View Full Version : Museo Max proper side?

Wilbur Wong
2-Sep-2006, 18:01
I received two sets of samples of Museo Max in the past week, one sample came from a reseller (365 gsm), and the other directly from Crane (250 gsm). Unfortunately, neither of these samples identified which side is intended for printing.

Each of these samples has a more pronounced "felt" finish than the reverse side with the 365 gsm sample being slightly more heavily grained. The other side of both of these samples seem to pretty consistent and is what I would consider closer to a "matte" finish.

Can someone tell me which side should be preferred to use?

Wilbur Wong

Helen Bach
2-Sep-2006, 19:18
Have you tried the wet finger and thumb test?

Best,
Helen

Wilbur Wong
2-Sep-2006, 19:52
I'm sorry, I was not explicit about this being a printing stock which I will be using on an Epson 7800 ink jet printer, so I am not looking for the emulsion for exposure under my enlarger, but rather the textural intent of the paper maker for digital printing.

Helen Bach
2-Sep-2006, 21:39
Yes, don't worry, I know what Museo Max is. If I'm in doubt about which side of a paper to print on, and can't tell by other means, I just lick my thumb and index finger and pinch a corner of the paper. The printable side is the stickier side. Then I mark the box or packet.

Best,
Helen

Wilbur Wong
3-Sep-2006, 06:15
Thanks Helen!

I really hadn't sensed a coating of any kind on this paper before I wet it. I never heard of this test on ink jet printers before, the print side of Silver Rag is obvious from the surface and the print side to me feels maybe 10 times sticker. The same test on the Museo Max is maybe 1 1/2 times stickier but I do find the difference discernable.

BTW, I like both of these papers, but I wonder if many photographic patrons might reject the surface of Museo Max for most images, but it might be appropriate to a more discerning fine art photography collector. Any thoughts?

tim atherton
6-Sep-2006, 08:56
Yes, don't worry, I know what Museo Max is. If I'm in doubt about which side of a paper to print on, and can't tell by other means, I just lick my thumb and index finger and pinch a corner of the paper. The printable side is the stickier side. Then I mark the box or packet.

Best,
Helen

Unfortunately Museo Max is coated on both sides, but only one side has the full "Max" coating (the back was coated as well to prevent curl - which means you can also print it with text easily, but it doesn't give the full quality for images).

Now, as I recall (and I may have to dig out a sheet to double check as I'm not 100% certain), I think the side with the slightly more pronounced texture is the correct side to print. Check the Crane box and see if this is the side which is uppermost when they packed it (I get some from a third party re-seller that had been packed "upside down...)

BTW - Kirk Gittings was (still is?) something of fan of Museo Max for his fine prints

Kirk Gittings
6-Sep-2006, 09:31
Yes Tim it is my favorite currently. If all else fails remember the orientation in the box and print a sheet both sides. The difference will be readily apparent.

Mark Carney
6-Sep-2006, 17:19
Helen

Thanks, I'd never heard of the wet finger test for printing side. What I thought might have been an occasional inconsistency with my printer now looks like me not being able to pick the printing side correctly.

This is going to help

mark

tim atherton
6-Sep-2006, 18:09
I actually use the tongue test rather than the wet finger test....

tim atherton
6-Sep-2006, 18:22
this was in an email I had from David Williams when I was testing the Museo Max - I find it's still so with the production sheets:

The Museo MAX is a one side product. The side that has more texture is
the printable side. There is a back coating for curl control that will
print with inkjet but the results are not like on the front side.

Wilbur Wong
7-Sep-2006, 05:32
Thanks to all. The wet finger test works dramatically with smoothly coated papers although those have an obvious finish difference to me. The wet tongue test was even more dramatic on most papers, however when I did this on the Museo Max, it was the smoother back side which was stickier. I assume that because both sides are coated both are sticky (slightly in this case) and the heavier texture of the "front" side interferes with the adhesion.

Since the small 8 1/2 x 11 sheets were sent to me as samples, I didn't have the benefit of an up side in the packaging. BTW I only received my 7800 printer yesterday, and expect to receive rolls of Silver Rag today. I've got lots of tweaking to do in the coming days I am sure. Trying out multiple papers on a printer this side looks like an expensive proposition.

Wilbur