PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Compact II 8x10 Camera

Linhof
31-Aug-2006, 23:19
I am studying to buy a Phillips Compact II 8x10 camera. Could you give me some advices?

The lenses that I am using is SA 160mm & 210mm, normal 300mm, 480mm, 600mm and 760mm. I shoot citycape and landcape photos all the time.

Since bellow could not be changed, is it easy to make camera movement when using wide angle lenses?

Does it accept Sinar lens broad?

How much does it cost and where could I buy?

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2006, 06:27
My advice is to prime yourself for disappointment -- Phillips has stopped taking orders and plans to quit the business (acording to the web).

Bruce Schultz
1-Sep-2006, 07:34
As an alternative, you might look at a Wehman. If Bruce Wehman doesn't have any in inventory, they aren't easy to find, but well worth the effort to locate one. Not quite as lightweight at Phillips but 4 kilos isn't bad, and they are very sturdy.

raucousimages
1-Sep-2006, 08:27
Look at a canham also. Good cameras and lighter than my Toyo.

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2006, 09:10
Dick Phillips is building one last batch of 8x10 Compact II cameras this year. After that, he plans to build only 8x10 Explorers (horizontal only) and 4x5s.

If you're seriously interested, you should contact Dick and get on his waiting list. Sometimes someone on his list backs out and he's able to allocate a camera to someone who missed the initial order window.

The Compact II can easily handle a 165 SA. And yes, it does accept Sinar boards.

George Hart
1-Sep-2006, 09:54
I have never seen let alone used one, but the Shen-Hao FCL810-A looks interesting, and it appears to be based on the Phillips design.

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2006, 10:30
Oops - something I should have thought of before posting my reply: the problem you'll have with a Compact II isn't with your wide angle lenses, it's with your long glass. The bellows draw on current-production Compact II cameras is about 26", or 660mm.

Amund BLix Aaeng
1-Sep-2006, 10:46
I have never seen let alone used one, but the Shen-Hao FCL810-A looks interesting, and it appears to be based on the Phillips design.

My FCL57-A wich is the same design will ship next week, I`ll probably post a little user report on in after trying it a little. I haven`t heard of anyone handling either of these cameras yet, so I`m taking a wild chance here... But I`ve been wery happy with the 4x5 Shen I had, so I`m not too worried :)

Brian Ellis
1-Sep-2006, 11:25
You might also ask Dick Phillips whether he knows of any used for sale. It's my understanding that he maintains an informal list of people who want to sell their Phillips cameras.

Kerry L. Thalmann
1-Sep-2006, 11:47
My FCL57-A wich is the same design will ship next week, I`ll probably post a little user report on in after trying it a little. I haven`t heard of anyone handling either of these cameras yet, so I`m taking a wild chance here... But I`ve been wery happy with the 4x5 Shen I had, so I`m not too worried :)

Badger Graphic had an FCL810-A in their booth at the LF conference in Rockford. They also loaned it out for the "Speed Dating" session. Unfortunately, I was busy supervising and didn't really get a chance to play with the camera myself. So, I can't comment on the feel or overall quality. The bed and back design are heavily "borrowed" from the Phillips design, but the front standard is different (looks kind of like a cross between and Ebony and Canham front standard).

Of course, it's also considerbly heavier than a Phillips.

Perhaps someone who had a chance to handle the Shen-Hao FCL810-A at the conference will chime in with their impressions. Better yet, maybe someone who owns one can share their experience. I noticed a couple weeks ago Badger had a "demo" FCL810-A listd in the used section of their web site for $1495. This is most likely the same camera they had in Rockford. It is no longer listed on their web site. So, somewhere out there is the proud owner of a FCL810-A.

Kerry

scott_6029
1-Sep-2006, 12:13
I own a phillips 7 x 17 and it is a fantastic camera. For 8 x 10 I own a wehman which I also really like. I almost went with the shen hao 7 x 17, but Dick had a couple people back out at the last minute on the 7 x 17, so I would definitely call him re: the 8 x 10's. But if you can't get a phillips, you should look at the wehman and shen hao (which is very much designed after the phillips, but all wood). I think the Wehman and Shen Hao are comparably priced around $1800? You can get a sinar adaptor for the Wehman too.

Ted Harris
1-Sep-2006, 17:45
I was running like Kerry during the Speed Date session at the Conference but I did spend a bit o time with the hen Hao 8x10 since, as a formr Phillips Compact II owner and current Canham 57 Traditional owner, I wanted to see how and where the Shen Hao had borrowed from the two. Tje rear movements are indeed very much lke those on the Compact II although, if I recall correctly that applies to the swings/shifts and the tilt was more like the Canham. You wil have no trouble with the movements onthe Phillips, jsut that they are different than those on other cameras in terms of the rear lead screw for fine docus adjustment, the two sliding rails for rough focus and swings/shifts and finally the screw down front standard as opposed to sliding into place, that is you scew it to a specic screw mount on the base for the lens you are using, sort of a permanent infinity stop arrangement. The camera is quick to setup and use once you get the hang of it.

tim atherton
6-Sep-2006, 09:02
As Oren said, the shorter/wider lenses will be no problem, but you will have problems with your longer lenses