PDA

View Full Version : TF-4 fixer question

Fred Braakman
31-Aug-2006, 19:46
Hi,
I am using TF-4 as a fixer for my prints. They claim that hypo clearing is not necessary. Is this correct? or should one still clear with hypo remover?

Fred

Andrew O'Neill
31-Aug-2006, 20:23
I would and do.

Ole Tjugen
1-Sep-2006, 06:14
I wouldn't and don't. :)

David A. Goldfarb
1-Sep-2006, 07:26
Depends on how many prints I'm doing. If it's just a few, I wash a little longer. If it's a big session, I use Permawash to reduce my wash time even further, since I don't have a lot of wash space.

Tom Westbrook
1-Sep-2006, 10:41
I'd do a residual fixer test to see if it's necessary with your practices. Last time I tested it without Permawash, it showed the fixer was gone in about 10 min in my 16x20 Versalab washer using Polymax. I still wash for 30 min, though, mostly out of superstition.

reellis67
1-Sep-2006, 18:11
I'm doing three other things right now but you don't need HCA because TF-4 converts to the end product of fixing directly where traditional fixers that need HCA do not. Standard fixer converts silver to a compound that is difficult to wash out and then HCA converts that compound to a compound that is easier to wash out. Sorry I don't have the compunds themselves but that is why they say you don't need to use HCA.

- Randy