PDA

View Full Version : Linhof universal finder and fuzzy lines???

Vick Ko
29-Aug-2006, 19:19
I have a question on the Linhof universal finder.

On the one I have, the black framelines and cross appears out of focus when I look at it from the eyepiece. I wear glasses and am near-sighted. The image of the viewed scene is fine.

If I take off my glasses, the black framelines and middle cross are sharp. I think that the mask and cross are in my near-field, which is why I can see them with my glasses off. Now with my glasses off, the far field (i.e. the image of the scene) is fuzzy.

Is this the way the Technika Universal finder is supposed to be?

I do notice that the rear conical ring of the finder can unscrew, but it does not appear to hold any lenses. Would I be missing a lens in that rear conical ring?

Thanks
Vick

photographs42
29-Aug-2006, 20:43
I’ve used mine for over 20 years. When I started I didn’t ware glasses and everything was fine. As my eyesight worsened and my glasses have gotten stronger, I began to have similar problems. I solved the problem by taping a diopter eyepiece to the finder eyepiece.

Jerome

Emil Ems
30-Aug-2006, 06:27
Vick and Jerome,

I also had the same problem and taped a dipter eyepiece to the finder eyepiece. However, I now notice, with increasing age, that the problem has not gone away. I think Vick has a point in saying that the frame (and center cross, the most important part) has a virtual focus at a distance differing from the motive. As long as you are young the eye can very quickly accommodate focus from motive to frame, so that everything appears sharp. When you get up to my age, this is no longer possible. The diopter gives me a sharp picture of the motive, with an unsharpt picture of the frame and cross. Something we have to live with, I am afraid. Still, even with an unsharp (actually double) cross, it is possible, through experience, to locate the center point of the motive. This is important for hand held shooting, when aiming the viewer at a part of the motive that will keep the camera horisontally aligned (to avoid converging verticals).

I hope this helps.

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2006, 08:39
Which version? The current one with two rotating rings around the eyepice, one for focal length and one for distance setting? That is the one that has been sold for the past 30 years.

Or one of the older types? They pull apart on the base to set focal length.

If one of the older types which version?

Vick Ko
30-Aug-2006, 12:08
Bob, thank you for writing.
My finder looks exactly like this one on ebay: item number: 180022178848

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Technika-Universal-Viewfinder-Schneider-German_W0QQitemZ180022178848QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there some way to adjust the optical system so that I can sharply focus the grid/cross at all the focal lengths?

regards
Vick

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2006, 13:43
Bob, thank you for writing.
My finder looks exactly like this one on ebay: item number: 180022178848

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Technika-Universal-Viewfinder-Schneider-German_W0QQitemZ180022178848QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there some way to adjust the optical system so that I can sharply focus the grid/cross at all the focal lengths?

regards
Vick

That one is an antique. There are no parts for it but an optician might be able to make you a diopter.

photographs42
30-Aug-2006, 14:56
Which version? The current one with two rotating rings around the eyepice, one for focal length and one for distance setting? That is the one that has been sold for the past 30 years.

Or one of the older types? They pull apart on the base to set focal length.

If one of the older types which version?

Bob,
Mine is the pull apart at the base type. It came with a 4x5 tech IV. The diopter glass I used was for a 35mm SLR camera eyepiece. Is there a better way to do this? Mine is due for another upgrade.
Jerome

Doug Dolde
30-Aug-2006, 15:02
I used to have a Linhof finder. One of the newer ones. Frankly I do just fine without it and really don't see a need for it.

photographs42
30-Aug-2006, 15:15
I used to have a Linhof finder. One of the newer ones. Frankly I do just fine without it and really don't see a need for it.

Doug,
Like many other people, I am sure, I don’t use mine like it was intended. I use a 5x7 now so it is less accurate (although I recalibrated it for 5x7) than before, but I use it as a crutch to determine the focal length and where I initially place my tripod. It is never attached to the camera. If I’m hiking, it is usually in my hand or my pocket. If I am working from the car, I often take only the finder with me on short excursions and if something looks promising, I go back for the camera.
Jerome

Bob Salomon
31-Aug-2006, 04:07
The best way to use a diopter is to find an optician who can grind one for you to the proper size and correction. Next best is a 35 or mf diopter which may need to be cut to size and may not have exactly the right correction.

As for use with 5x7 Linhof did make a 5x7 version of the Multifocus Finder with settings for lenses from 90 to 500mm and an assortmment of common sized masks for aq 5x7 camera down to 6x7cm.

photographs42
31-Aug-2006, 20:08
The best way to use a diopter is to find an optician who can grind one for you to the proper size and correction. Next best is a 35 or mf diopter which may need to be cut to size and may not have exactly the right correction.

As for use with 5x7 Linhof did make a 5x7 version of the Multifocus Finder with settings for lenses from 90 to 500mm and an assortmment of common sized masks for aq 5x7 camera down to 6x7cm.

Bob,
I would love to have a 5x7 model. I've bid on a couple on ebay but didn't win. If you have a good source, please let me know.
Jerome