PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for Quickload Holder and Toyo 45aii

lcrannell
29-Aug-2006, 17:10
I just got my Toyo 45aii and the Fuji Quickload holder. How do you know if you have inserted the holder correctly and have the film opening aligned with the camera opening?

When I insert the film holder in front of the glass it seems like a lot of work, how do you stop from changing the camera's position?

Thanks for any help..I'm new to this format.

Loren

Dave_B
29-Aug-2006, 17:28
Loren:
The holder should be inserted using the bail to lift the back so that it does not require too much force to insert. When the holder is fully inserted, you release the bail and the holder is pretty much locked into place. It is hard to describe in words but when it is fully inserted and locked into place against the stops, you know it. The quickloads also insert and sort of snap into place. It is obvious when the lip on the quickloads has caught on the springs that hold it. When you remove the cover to expose the film, you can feel that the film is staying put while the paper cover is sliding out of the way. After you expose the film, you can also feel when the cover is fully re-inserted and then you press the release button and everything comes back out. It is a little like a number of other things in life that I am too polite to mention. It is hard to describe in words, but when you get things positioned properly, you sort of know it by instinct. I imagine that, like me, you will waste a couple of slides not quite getting it right in the beginning but will pretty quickly get the hang of it. The $10 in some wasted films is drag but it is still a pretty cheap price to pay to join the club.
Cheers,
Dave B.

squiress
29-Aug-2006, 17:45
The Quickloader has a rib on it facing the lens that is the same as a film holder. When its fully inserted, it will not slide out unless you pull out the spring back. The quickload has some markings on it that are hidden when it's fully inserted. At that point you want to pull on just the edge to remove the paper cover and not the film as well (although the lock should keep the film in place). On mine, after the paper cover has been pushed all the way back in place over the film, I have to press the release in once and then release and a second slight push to fully release the quickload. It comes right out. You will know if it isn't fully released by feel (ie, the paper is coming out but not the film.) If that happens just push it in again all the way and press the release again. I also try to grab more than just the edge at that point. I really like this as a way to conveniently deal with 4x5 film. Of course it's twice as expensive as using film holders.

Stew

squiress
29-Aug-2006, 17:47
Oh and as for camera stability during, this is the point where it pays to be well locked down on a solid tripod. Nothing like taking all that time composing and then moving the camera when you insert the film. :-)

lcrannell
29-Aug-2006, 17:51
Thanks Dave....

Thank you for your reply. After looking at it, I realized that I was inserting the holder on the wrong side. :(

It all seems to work quite easily now. .... it's an exciting world...

Thanks again...

Loren

raucousimages
29-Aug-2006, 18:29
Big tripod, Big head.