PDA

View Full Version : Interplay of Personal and Commercial Work

Daniel Piar
29-Aug-2006, 15:41
As an aspiring commercial photographer (architecture and interiors) who would also like to develop a body of personal work (documentary and fine art), I have been wondering how compatible those goals are. Does being a commercial photographer tend to open up opportunities to show and publish one's personal work? Does doing commercial work sharpen one's vision and technique to the benefit of one's art? Or do commercial photographers keep so busy running their businesses that the personal work has to take a back seat? I know there are people on this forum who pursue both, so I'd be interested to hear your experiences. I have many reasons for wanting to start a commercial business, but I would naturally see it as a bonus if it could help me grow on the "non-commercial" side.

Regards,

Daniel

Walter Calahan
29-Aug-2006, 16:00
For many commercial photographers doing personal work does take a back seat, but if you schedule your time well, personal work can be as much a player as your commercial work.

Personally I can't see NOT doing personal work. It keeps you growing as a person, and pays off in the end in your commercial work. Some of my best clients were won by showing my personal work.

I have two personal projects on my web site. One shot all 8x10 color neg, and the other shot all digital SLR. The on-line portfolio is a mix of assignment and personal work.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com

Good luck with your dream!

darr
29-Aug-2006, 17:50
Or do commercial photographers keep so busy running their businesses that the personal work has to take a back seat?

For fifteen years I shot professionally and taught a photography/business class when I could. My personal work was done on a very limited basis during those years and as time passed, I felt more and more unfulfilled artistically. Even though I had employed two part-time assistants and one full-time studio admin person, it seemed I was always trying to squeeze twenty-five hours out of a twenty-four hour day. I eventually decided to give it all up and move wherever my husband's career took us. Today I am producing more personal work, but I continue to run a business that takes up too much of my time. Some of us are just plain workaholics. :o

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2006, 17:57
Walter, that Akaka Falls image is superb.

Daniel, the answer to all your questions is yes. Commercial buys the equipment and gives you tons of experience. Architects amd shelter magazines can help you network. I have found that my best advertsisng for my commercial work are my fine art shows of personal work. And the same magazines I shoot architecture for end up doing articles about my books and shows. Many of my biggest collectors of my art work are my architect commercial clients. I even teach classes at two universities that are joint offerings between the art dept and architecture depts. It is a great synergy.

It is a struggle to maintain a balance. the past few years, with both my art and commercial photography booming is like working two full time jobs. Still commercial provides most of the income (just finished putting three kids through out-of-state colleges) and art nourishes my soul.

Gordon Moat
29-Aug-2006, 22:09
Hello Daniel F. Piar,

It seems that even commercial clients often want to see your personal vision. So you really need to plan to do both. If that sounds like a situation that can make you very very busy . . . it is exactly that.

Like Kirt Gittings, I have found that showing fine art can get you some commercial work, and sometimes a little more respect from your clients. Now if I could only be as busy and successful as him.
:(

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

jnantz
31-Aug-2006, 17:17
a friend of mine always showed a small portfolio of personal work along with his commercial "book" art directors and other "creatives" always like to see that you are well rounded ...

good luck ( and don't forget to have fun )
-john

MJSfoto1956
31-Aug-2006, 19:08
If your commercial work inspires you and doesn't drag you down with all the administrivia (e.g. accounts recievable, accounts payable, advertising, payroll, inventory, taxes, etc) then you would likely have the best of both worlds.

However, my own experience as a studio photographer so wore me out that after four years I needed to go completely "cold turkey" from photography for many years. Eventually I came back to do my own personal large and medium format projects with no clients involved so that today I'm very happy with both my art and my involvement in photography.

Daniel Piar
6-Sep-2006, 16:53
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It's good to hear that it's possible to intergrate one's photographic lives, even if it is a lot of work!

Regards,

Daniel