PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Ranch

Kirk Gittings
28-Aug-2006, 21:23
What photographic opportunities are there at the Irvine Ranch Land Preserve (near Fresno?)? I have an opportunity to go there next month.

DavidFisk
29-Aug-2006, 21:04
Unless I miss my guess (certainly likely), Irvine Ranch is in The OC.

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2006, 21:09
What do you know about it?

DavidFisk
29-Aug-2006, 21:39
I haven't seen that much of it. About 50,000 acres. Pretty unspoiled once you get away from the developed part of the Irvine Ranch, as I recall. Lots of hiking trails. You can get a better idea from their website. irvineranchlandreserve.org, I believe.

Chris Strobel
30-Aug-2006, 08:54
Kirk, I have lived on Irvine Ranch since 1972.Its in Orange County, half way between LA and San Diego.If you come down this way let me know, and I'd be glad to show you around for a day.Though we'd have to take your ride/rental ride as my Jeep is once again in transformation mode.Here is a shot of a migrant farm workers home right smack dab on the railroad tracks about a mile from my house.Shot with 35mm not LF

Chris

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/56383619/original.jpg

What photographic opportunities are there at the Irvine Ranch Land Preserve (near Fresno?)? I have an opportunity to go there next month.

Joel Brown
30-Aug-2006, 11:17
Chris, your image must have been taken the moment you moved to Irvine. In 2006, I don't think you could find a house within 20 yards of the tracks, along with a dirt road and non-electric RR Xing signal. I like the photo though.

BrianShaw
30-Aug-2006, 11:21
I had the same reaction as Joel... but on reflection perhaps you can find similar at the rail station in San Juan Capistrano.

Joel Brown
30-Aug-2006, 11:56
Brian, Los Rios St. in SJC does have some nice old houses along the track. It is a historic site so the houses shouldn't change much in the years to come.

Chris Strobel
30-Aug-2006, 17:51
Ooops, I fogot the image details only appear when you view it directly from pbase.Yes not only is that house gone, but so are those tracks.It was shot off of Myford road and Bryan in about the mid 70's.Irvine sure ain't as photogenic as it used to be thats for sure.

Chris, your image must have been taken the moment you moved to Irvine. In 2006, I don't think you could find a house within 20 yards of the tracks, along with a dirt road and non-electric RR Xing signal. I like the photo though.

Michael Gordon
30-Aug-2006, 23:19
Great photograph, Chris!

Chris Strobel
31-Aug-2006, 09:36
Great photograph, Chris!

Thanks, I was only about 13 or 14 years old with a beat up used Pentax Spotmatic 500.I wish life was as simple now

Kevin Crisp
31-Aug-2006, 09:47
Chris: I'll bet you could have a long thread on people who use LF who took at least one of the best pictures of their life with a Spotmatic. (You know, if you turned the dial past 1/500th there really was a 1/1000th there....)