PDA

View Full Version : Budget Film Washer

Ken Lee
28-Aug-2006, 10:59
Here is a photo of my current Dish Rack Film Washer. It cost a few dollars, and gives great results.

See http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/dishrack.php

Coming soon... budget film developing "trays".

Brad Rippe
28-Aug-2006, 11:06
Ken,
I love that kind of ingenuity. I once made a print washer from a Coleman cooler. The best part was you could chill a beer at the same time!
-Brad

Gregg Cook
28-Aug-2006, 14:53
coffee cans work for roll film...

chris_4622
28-Aug-2006, 15:05
I've been thinking about modifying a toilet tank, just flush every 15 minutes.

Ken Lee
28-Aug-2006, 16:27
I've been thinking about modifying a toilet tank, just flush every 15 minutes.
Brilliant !

Here is a link to my other contribution to the art of sheet-film development: Plastic Food Containers (http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/devtray.php).

Ben Calwell
28-Aug-2006, 17:25
Ken -- that's a great idea. I wonder if I could modify it to wash 8x10 or 5x7 film?

Ken Lee
28-Aug-2006, 18:24
There are many different kinds of plastic dish racks out there. Some will provide a higher support. I use the same "model" for 5x7: I just turn the film on its side.

You can also get some inexpensive plastic plates and drill them full of holes. Then you can use them as dividers. Be sure to sand-down the holes, so that they are smooth, and won't scratch your film.

From time to time, I like to walk around the local Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target etc, looking for new solutions to these old problems. During my fling with Pt/Pd printing, I discovered that a superb plastic container with a handle and a wide-mouth screw top, is given away for free, as it were, whenever you buy a certain brand of cat litter.

A $10 "Athletic Bag" holds all my 4x5 camera gear and does a fine job. When I leave it in the car, it looks no more inviting than someone having left their gym clothes to "ripen". Placing an old pair of tennis shoes alongside, completes the effect.

If anyone wants to send me some photos and text of their "do-it-yourself" solutions for Large Format, I'd be delighted to list them on my web site, with full credit and links.... Just trying to help, much as I have been helped.

Dirk Rösler
28-Aug-2006, 23:24
I am using this Japanese laundry hanger for socks to dry sheet film. Works very well.

Gary Smith
29-Aug-2006, 00:02
I am using this Japanese laundry hanger for socks to dry sheet film. Works very well.

Hey! That looks exactly like mine! I actually do the same thing, it works very well.

Gary

Dirk Rösler
29-Aug-2006, 01:12
Obviously great minds think alike, Gary :)

Did you also twist around the pegs by 90 degrees so the sheets don't touch each other (they may stick to each other otherwise; have a close look at my pc)?

Wonder if it works for 8x10 though...

Amund BLix Aaeng
29-Aug-2006, 02:36
Wonder if it works for 8x10 though...

No, it doesn`t hold the film firmly enough... I know :(

Ben Calwell
29-Aug-2006, 05:07
In the realm of "off label" uses, I'm using one of my wife's old suitcases (the kind you see at airports with the telescoping handle and wheels) to hold my Kodak 2D 8x10, meter, dark cloth, loupe and a couple of film holders.

Mike A
29-Aug-2006, 07:18
Awsome idea Ken, I new there was a way around filling up my 16x20 washer for 4 sheets of 11x14 film. I'm going to try and build something that will accomodate 11x14 film which may help 8x10 users as well, I'll report back my findings.

Mike

tonepixs
11-Sep-2006, 06:09
Hey Ken such a simple solution-Imagine that there we've all been floating ideas around in the tub. Improvising, saving cash do the dogs get fed this week,yader yader.
When its been right there holding our butts!

Note to self extra cleaning duties after fixer-Wouldn't wanna get stuck there now!
Could'nt resist that-Note to self must find further focus for mondays when supposed to be completing mundane chores..zzzz

Jim Rice
28-Sep-2006, 19:18
It's a really cool site as well, Ken.

erie patsellis
6-Oct-2006, 10:41
here's another idea, use the spring paper clips (I get them from stapels 24 for about $3.50) unhook the handles and re hook them on a plastic hangar. not only can you use them for sheet film, but the with a cilp a the bottom, the clip is heavy enough to hold a roll of 120 film straight too.

erie