PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Quickload in New Zealand and Australia

Michael Chmilar
28-Aug-2006, 10:57
Can anyone tell me about the availability of Fuji Provia and Astia Quickload film in Australia and New Zealand?

I have checked the website www.vanbar.com.au that was mentioned in another thread. They list RDP 100 in Quickload. The price is $126 USD. This is double the cost in the US!

If I am planning to use 20-30 boxes of film, it will be cheaper to buy it in the US, and Fedex it to myself in Aus or NZ.

roteague
28-Aug-2006, 13:09
QuickLoads are not available in New Zealand.

DavidFisk
28-Aug-2006, 15:00
In 11 trips to NZ, I have never seen them available. I gave up using them and ReadyLoads while there. Especially if you are shooting a lot, film holders and sheet film make more sense in terms of bulk to transport around. I have had 160 Portra go through 5 security scans on 1 trip without ill effect, so I have had no qualms about flying with the film as carryon.

Leigh Perry
28-Aug-2006, 15:23
Michael, that price is as good as you will get here in Australia. That's why many of us FedEx boxes of film in from Badger or B&H.

You are welcome to ship to me in Sydney if you don't have a destination address yet.

roteague
28-Aug-2006, 15:37
In 11 trips to NZ, I have never seen them available.

I contacted a shop in Christchurch before my last trip, and was told they weren't available anywhere in NZ. Cut sheet is available though, or mail order from the US (many of my photographer friends in NZ do this).

Capocheny
28-Aug-2006, 20:05
I have checked the website www.vanbar.com.au that was mentioned in another thread. They list RDP 100 in Quickload. The price is $126 USD. This is double the cost in the US!

Hi Michael,

LOL - If you think the cost of "imported" film is costly... just wait till you buy an imported bottle of wine! :)

Cheers

Michael Chmilar
29-Aug-2006, 11:09
Thanks for the responses. The answers are pretty much what I expected to hear, ie. Auz and NZ locals order from overseas.

Are there any problems with customs when a film shipment arrives from bhphoto or badger?

DavidFisk
29-Aug-2006, 14:57
Hi Michael,

LOL - If you think the cost of "imported" film is costly... just wait till you buy an imported bottle of wine! :)

Cheers

Actually, NZ and Oz wines are quite reasonable. I always take some on my shoots. :)

roteague
29-Aug-2006, 15:54
Actually, NZ and Oz wines are quite reasonable. I always take some on my shoots. :)

I'll be sure to stop by Brown Brothers when I'm in Australia in October and pickup a bottle or two.

DavidFisk
29-Aug-2006, 16:47
I'll be sure to stop by Brown Brothers when I'm in Australia in October and pickup a bottle or two.

Better to stop in on Chard Farm Winery near Queenstown in NZ. The scenery is awesome.

OldBikerPete
30-Aug-2006, 15:45
Are there any problems with customs when a film shipment arrives from bhphoto or badger?

If you post film to Australia and the total value of film+postage
reaches AU$500, you will have to pay 10% GST at the post office in order to collect. If the value reaches $1000, it will be held in the nearest customs office until you attend THAT OFFICE and fill out an arcane form. The form is relatively simple, knowing how to fill it out is not and the 'service' people are not allowed to help. There are (from memory) 3 manuals you have to be conversant with in order to fill out the form.

Michael Chmilar
30-Aug-2006, 17:06
If you post film to Australia and the total value of film+postage reaches AU$500, you will have to pay 10% GST at the post office in order to collect. If the value reaches $1000, it will be held in the nearest customs office.

That's very good to know. I will make sure to keep any film shipment below AU$1000. Paying the GST won't kill me, but I don't want to get tangled up with a bunch of paperwork.

Leonard Metcalf
1-Sep-2006, 04:26
If you have your film fed ex'd into Australia, they take care of it all for you, give you a ring, and you pay the excess over the phone with your credit card and then it is delivered to your doorstep. I made the mistake only once of importing a lens by UPS. I import all my colour large format film. In the past a few of us from this group have gotten together to save on the delivery costs. If you come up to the Blue Mountains you should drop by.

DavidFisk
1-Sep-2006, 14:26
If you have your film fed ex'd into Australia, they take care of it all for you, give you a ring, and you pay the excess over the phone with your credit card and then it is delivered to your doorstep. I made the mistake only once of importing a lens by UPS. I import all my colour large format film. In the past a few of us from this group have gotten together to save on the delivery costs. If you come up to the Blue Mountains you should drop by.

Maybe I'm missing something here. If I buy the film in the US (at lower cost than what seems to be available in Oz or Godzone, and save any shipping costs via FedEx or otherwise) and take it with me as carryon, with no question about where it is (since it's with me at all times), how is that not a viable alternative to anything else?

The Photo Curmudgeon wants to know.

bobc
1-Sep-2006, 14:53
David,

You're not missing anything. That is the way to go.

If you have film shipped to you in NZ, the cutoff amount before customs picks up on it is $400 NZ (around $260 USD, if my math is correct). Then, you have to pay 12.5% GST.

If you're in NZ and get in a jam, you can suck it up and by sheet film. There's only two places in Christchurch that sell 4x5 sheet film. Here's one: http://www.photo.co.nz/

I can't remember what I paid when I bough 25 sheets but it was painful. There's also not a big selection. I would imagine a larger selection in Auckland...

DavidFisk
1-Sep-2006, 20:33
David,

You're not missing anything. That is the way to go.

If you have film shipped to you in NZ, the cutoff amount before customs picks up on it is $400 NZ (around $260 USD, if my math is correct). Then, you have to pay 12.5% GST.

If you're in NZ and get in a jam, you can suck it up and by sheet film. There's only two places in Christchurch that sell 4x5 sheet film. Here's one: http://www.photo.co.nz/

I can't remember what I paid when I bough 25 sheets but it was painful. There's also not a big selection. I would imagine a larger selection in Auckland...

My question was more simple. Why pay FedEx or the like anything when I can stuff several hundred sheets on my carryon for free?

Leonard Metcalf
4-Sep-2006, 03:27
David... yes it is cheaper to bring it with you. I was referring to Michael's original post / question

If I am planning to use 20-30 boxes of film, it will be cheaper to buy it in the US, and Fedex it to myself in Aus or NZ.

Michael Chmilar
5-Sep-2006, 09:50
My question was more simple. Why pay FedEx or the like anything when I can stuff several hundred sheets on my carryon for free?

In my case, this is not an option.

My travel to New Zealand and Australia is part of a six month odyssey, starting in China. I cannot carry enough Quickloads to last through this journey, so I need to re-supply en route. While I can purchase the film in Australia, it ends up cheaper to get it shipped from the U.S.

I will bring ten boxes to China, as my carry-on, which should be enough for that leg of the trip.

roteague
5-Sep-2006, 10:54
In my case, this is not an option.

My travel to New Zealand and Australia is part of a six month odyssey, starting in China. I cannot carry enough Quickloads to last through this journey, so I need to re-supply en route.

The biggest problem with the QuickLoads is the physical size of the box, although I sure love the form factor. I'm off to Australia in another 3 weeks, and I'm carrying a mix of QuickLoads and cut sheet, mainly because of the size issue.