PDA

View Full Version : ebony asymmetrical tilts

Colin Graham
28-Aug-2006, 10:35
I'm curious about the ebony tilts- is the rear asymmetric tilt axis 'static'? In other words, can the tilt axis be moved like it appears that the swing axis can (when coupled with shift)? If not, and the grids on the ground glass seem to indicate that they can't (or shouldnt) be moved, what's the math for establishing this axis? Is it based on some image compositon standard, or some scheimpflug principle I'm not aware of? I guess I'm wondering if incorporating asymmetric tilt 'within' rise and fall would be a good thing or too damn fussy. Thanks for any elightenment.

Steve Hamley
28-Aug-2006, 19:00
Colin,

The rear asymmetric tilt point is always in the same place on the groundglass regardless of rise. Rear rise and tilt have independent controls unlike the swing and shift on the front standard.

It isn't fussy at all; it works wonderfully.

I'm guessing the asymmetric tilt/swing points were trial and error or possibly based on Sinar's asymmetric axes. Ian Wilson (igbwilson@yahoo.com) would be able to tell you better.

Steve

Colin Graham
28-Aug-2006, 20:32
Thanks, Steve. Much clearer now. I had been thinking about incorporating a varying asymmetric tilt in a camera I'm working on, where the asymmetric axes could be 'infinite' as it were, but now I wonder how practical, or even necessary, it would be.

Steve Hamley
29-Aug-2006, 04:51
Colin,

Check out the rear moves on a Wehman. It looks like the tilt is from the edge of the GG and the swing is variable in the sense that both sides of the rear standard can be independently positioned.

Steve