PDA

View Full Version : Is a ring to fix a lens on a board part of a lens?

Clemens
28-Aug-2006, 01:46
Well, now I have bought me a lens, a 360m Tele-Xenar, old, but looks quite useful. As my trust in the good in mankind is still existing I bought it in the 'bay of deception and wrong descriptions'.

The lens was offered without a board. It's okay, I have a board that will fit exactly.

Now, after the auction has ended, the seller offers me in a separate mail to buy the ring that fixes the lens to the board. I am quite surprised.

What is your opinion? Isn't that ring part of a lens? Is that normal?

Capocheny
28-Aug-2006, 02:00
Hi Clemens,

I've never bought a lens without the retaining ring before but... there's always a first time! Did his listing indicate anything to the effect that it was included?

IMHO, I'd think it's normal to include the retaining ring with the lens.

However, that said... I have seen the occasional lens sold on the bay without a retaining ring.

So, it really does depend on the seller.

Cheers

Paul-Owen
28-Aug-2006, 03:56
Hi. As all new lenses come supplied with a retaining ring and lenses NEED a ring in order that they can be used I would have thought that if the ring is available for the lens it should be included. If the seller described the lens as not being supplied with the ring or ring available seperately then fair enough - but "fairness" would dictate the ring should be included in the price?

Nick_3536
28-Aug-2006, 04:16
Did you ask about the ring before hand? Did you see it in the pictures?

For anything used I assume it's missing. The things have a habit of walking away.

Now I think it's sleazy that he's offering to sell it to you later but that's a different question.

Frank Petronio
28-Aug-2006, 05:00
The problem is that most non-LF photographers have no idea what the retaining ring/flange is so it often gets lost. But in this seller's case they obviously know the value of the ring and failed to disclose that it was missing upfront. I would complain unless the auction's listing clearly stated that there was no ring included.

And in the future, unfortunately, it is up to you to ask about the ring or make sure it is the item's photos, beforehand.

Hmmm, maybe I could strip aperture scales off the shutters and offer them to lens buyers for an added cost after the auction? LOL, yet another revenue stream!

Steve Bell
28-Aug-2006, 05:29
Frank's comments echo my thoughts.

Aside, some Tele Xenar 360mm lenses didn't come with locking rings, mine didn't. It was mounted into a threaded extension tube, then this was mounted via a flange and 6 small screws onto a Technika size lens board. OK if your camera uses Technika boards, but a fidly job moving it onto a Toyo field board. Obviously the lens in question did come with a fixing ring, and should have been sold on with it.

Michael Graves
28-Aug-2006, 05:29
My philosophy has always been to include the ring if I've got it. When buying a lens, I always ask. Retaining rings are very easy to lose, and even harder to find. If it isn't mentioned in the ad, or shown in the photo, assume it's not there. Still, offering to sell it as an add-on (AFTER THE SALE???), IMHO, doesn't just border on dishonest. It falls right into the pit of slime.

But that's just one person's opinion.

Ed Richards
28-Aug-2006, 06:26
Unless the asking price is really high, buy it ASAP because it is going to be a pain to find a replacement - you might have to get one machined. You always have to ask about rings when buying lenses from anyone.

Jim Jones
28-Aug-2006, 07:55
My philosophy has always been to include the ring if I've got it. When buying a lens, I always ask. Retaining rings are very easy to lose, and even harder to find. If it isn't mentioned in the ad, or shown in the photo, assume it's not there. Still, offering to sell it as an add-on (AFTER THE SALE???), IMHO, doesn't just border on dishonest. It falls right into the pit of slime.

But that's just one person's opinion.

I agree completely. It's up to the buyer to determine if the item is complete. Lens retaining rings, monorail mounting blocks, and other components are sometimes missing. If the buyer can't determine this from an ad picture or by contacting the seller, the purchase is a gamble. However, offering a ring as an add-on after the sale sounds like certain discount camera stores and smells like something all too familiar here in farming country.

Brian Ellis
28-Aug-2006, 11:59
I think he should have included the ring since he had it or should have disclosed that it was for sale separately to the winning bidder. How much does he want for it? Since he's played cute with you, do the same to him. Check with S.K.Grimes and see if they have a ring in stock or can easily make one from their existing patterns and what it would cost. If their price is within a few dollars of what he wants (unlikely but possible, especially if they have one in stock) tell him to go pound sand and wish him good luck in trying to sell a retaining ring for an old Tele-Xenar by itself.

Gregg Cook
28-Aug-2006, 14:52
brian has the right idea....

Mike Boden
28-Aug-2006, 16:48
I feel that the seller should have included the ring. It's a total low blow for him to withold the ring and then offer to sell it after the fact. What a bunch of crap.

But what's done is done. I'd take Brian's advice and hope for the best.

Clemens
30-Aug-2006, 11:35
Well, I did NOT buy the rings, the lens cost less than 70 Euro, he wanted 15 Euro for the rings - see what I am talking about? Now he sold them on eBay for 19 Euros, and I am waiting for the lens to arrive, will check it thorougly, maybe even better. If it's alright I will glue it to the board and give him an interesting rating ... did I mention that he had offered the rings OUTSIDE ebay?

tim atherton
30-Aug-2006, 12:27
Is it an old one in something like a Compound #3 shutter? a new ring is about $35.00 - $45.00 from SK Grimes