PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Photos with Captions

Ed Richards
27-Aug-2006, 09:20
I have started a page that provides more info about the areas I photographed for my Katrina project:

http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/katrina/index.htm

I will expand the information, including GPS coordinates, as time allows. Comments are welcome, esp. from proof readers.:-)

Charles Carstensen
27-Aug-2006, 17:33
Wow, low resolution scans you say? What outstanding quality. Makes you think twice about all the devistation. Very emotional pictures. B&W far better for historical purposes. Your time and effort shows. Thanks for sharing this terrific work.

Ralph Barker
27-Aug-2006, 17:53
You've put an impressive amount of work into this, Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Moshay
27-Aug-2006, 22:15
Amazing and sobering photographs. Your work will be valuable now and in the furure. Thank you. Paul

Ed Richards
28-Aug-2006, 10:59
Thanks for the kind words. I am almost finished going through the film I shot and scanned - 800 sheets takes some time when it is not your day job. I am trying to figure out the best venue for this work - while they make great prints, would someone really want to hang disaster pictures on their wall?

Ralph Barker
29-Aug-2006, 08:20
. . . would someone really want to hang disaster pictures on their wall?

My walls are already a disaster, as many are "decorated" with my work. Come to think of it, if I were to hang a few self-portraits, I might qualify for FEMA assistance. ;)

Seriously, I think the "proper venue" for the work is your personal choice, Ed. You might, for example, consider publishing a book, the scope and direction of which would be a matter of discussion/negotiation between you and the publisher. Or, you might choose to leave the presentation as-is - a Web resource. Or, any number of choices in between. But, I do see considerable value, both historical and artistic, in the scope and quality of the work.

darr
29-Aug-2006, 10:16
Ed,
I have spent about two hours looking at this project. The inclusion of words helped to pull me in and keep me interested in a way I feel photos alone may not have done. IMHO, there are some very powerful images in this body of work that I hope to see in a published form. Maybe a book through LuLu or similar? I would definitely be interested in having one in my bookcase. Katrina affected the area I live in too (SW of Miami FL), but not quite like New Orleans. Keep us updated as your project evolves. Thank you again for your vision and your steadfast work.

Kind Regards,
Darr