PDA

View Full Version : Are there any long exposure timers out there?

Carsten Wolff
27-Aug-2006, 00:43
Hi, all,
some, if not many of you may have had a similar experience: You're on the threshold of waking; first you seem to hear bird song, then, through lazy eyelids you try to visualise what is making weird patterns on your tent-fly; as consciousness sweeps dreams away, you instantly realise: You've got it: That sinking feeling of another star-track exposure wasted as your tripod mounted camera's shutter now allows the morning sun to relentlessly bombard the silver halides of your precious sheet film with quanta of light, by now your spotmeter would, if it could, read Zone MCMXXIII for the shadows....:)

I haven't spent too much time researching this, but haven't come up with anything yet:
I'm after a simple (say, clockwork-like) long exposure self timer for night photography (beyond 32 sec. Prontor-and-the-like timers). I'm after something light that can keep a standard shutter open for minutes to, say, 8 hours or so. ....Otherwise I'll have to make something myself, again....sigh.....

JW Dewdney
27-Aug-2006, 02:31
What's wrong with using the T setting - and just closing the shutter yourself?

GPS
27-Aug-2006, 02:39
What's wrong with your alarm watch?

Carsten Wolff
27-Aug-2006, 05:07
Ha, I thought you guys would respond like this....Last time I did this I happened to have the camera set up in a somewhat precarious spot (had to due to vegetation and framing issues) and, quite far from my lodging I had to stumble through the countryside at night for 15 minutes with a torch each way.... I just thought why do this if there's something available. No drama though, I'll just make one then.

Walter Calahan
27-Aug-2006, 08:09
I've seen them over the years advertised in photo magazines. It's like a cable release with a built-in mechanical timer. Have no idea who makes it, or if they still do.

I did a google search, but didn't find anything except the modern electronic versions.

I use the T setting and a watch.

Ralph Barker
27-Aug-2006, 11:00
My suggestion would be to look into the remote triggering circuits and devices that are often used for wildlife (or, Sasquach pics :cool: ). Although these are usually set off by an IR proximity sort of trigger, you might be able to adapt the mechanics to a second trip for T setting via an electronic clock/timer circuit.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Aug-2006, 11:12
Supposedly the "autoknips" self-timer, which screws right into the shutter, does provide exposures longer than 1 second, but I am not sure how much longer. The electronic Compur shutter, and perhaps some other high-end shutters like the Prontor also provides exposures longer than 1 second.

nolindan
18-Nov-2006, 09:43
Some electronic intervalometers may provide this function. Modern intervalometers are not much help because they are made to work with automatic/motorized 35mm cameras and plug into the camera's remote control port.

If you have some way to hold the shutter open electrically then a household light timer will provide times of ~15minutes to 24 hours - you would need a source of house current, though.

Ted Harris
18-Nov-2006, 10:17
Prontor makes (made?) a very reliable one that goes from 2 to 32 seconds. You will see them available on eBay with some frequency, say one a month. They to go int he range of $100.

Michael Kadillak
18-Nov-2006, 11:51
Radio Shack electronic stop watch with an "illuminator" bar on the front and a laynyard for over your neck - $10.

Jim Rice
18-Nov-2006, 12:12
It would be possible to pretty easily build a very long exposure controller for an electronic shutter. One problem that comes to mind is that the traditional electronic shutters operate at some pretty funky voltages. This is not insurmountable.

David Karp
18-Nov-2006, 17:15
This won't solve the problem for very very long night exposures, but if you are working in the dark or in very low light, an electronic metronome set at 60 beats/min. works great. I have one that I use in the darkroom.

Jim Noel
22-Nov-2006, 11:59
If you can find a Prontor timer for $100 buy it. They are frequently sold for over $250.

Jim Noel
22-Nov-2006, 12:02
Another thought. .
I bought a Chinese made radio controlled shutter release for $30. The range is supposed to be about 100 yards, but I have not tried it at that distance. Calumet sells a similar device for significantly more money.

jstraw
22-Nov-2006, 13:50
If you can find a Prontor timer for $100 buy it. They are frequently sold for over $250.

Seriously?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRONTOR-10in-ADJUSTABLE-CABLE-RELEASE-with-TIMER_W0QQitemZ320048925096QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4702QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prontor-Professional-Shutter-Timer_W0QQitemZ300051560707QQihZ020QQcategoryZ15248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

QT Luong
22-Nov-2006, 17:47
I have the Autoknips. It's limited to around 30s (even less) and is very fiddly.

QT Luong
22-Nov-2006, 17:51
Of the two ebay links quoted, one starts at $6, the other one at $400 ???

Wayne Crider
22-Nov-2006, 21:01
If you initiated a "T" exposure all you would have to do is initiate a solenoid exposure to end it. You would need a solenoid (Graphic?) and connect it to a battery source with a timer. I have a battery operated timer for a sprinkler hose. Times I believe go quite long (although you would not need that feature) and can be initiated at any hour I want. With solenoid, a battery source to trigger the solenoid and a battery operated water timer to close the circuit you might get by.