PDA

View Full Version : Sheet film handling

jimbobuk
26-Aug-2006, 13:44
Hmm.. I think i may have ruined a new pack of Delta 100 film... I was just sitting there and wondering how I could develop films, I was ready to do black and white at some point but i plan to send of transparency film to be developed by a lab.. I got to thinking how would i be able to send this film to the lab so they could develop it..

I was wondering if each sheet came in an individual light tight envelope so that after exposing I could put it in one, seal it up and send it away with others for developing.

I opened a pack of Delta 100, saw the black bag in there... thought it couldn't be that simple and opened it and looked inside.. on pulling it out further i could see what looked like film contained inside white cardboard ends... it clicked that i've probably blasted it with light...

there goes £13 ... the original curiosity still stands though... How can you send these films off for development, what is the way you handle this film...

If this black envelope is all that is used to keep it light tight and you only use some film in a changing bag then i guess you have to seal it up, and rebox it again... i struggled to fit it back in the box when i was able to look at the bag, doing so in a changing bag is going to be interesting.

Is there any page on all this, and importantly have i likely ruined this box of 25 sheets?

Cheers.... and DOH!!!!!!!!!

Dave Krueger
26-Aug-2006, 14:04
Good question. Back when I was doing transparency film, I would just take a stack of film holders down to the lab and pick up the empty holders and processed film four hours later. Them were the days. A lab on every corner and E6 while you wait (almost)...

-Dave

jimbobuk
26-Aug-2006, 14:10
Yes I guessed keeping them in the dark slides would be ideal.. but I am not going to post them away.. I'll have to look into that further there must be light tight envelopes, i'll email the developer i was planning to use.

So have I ruined this whole pack of film?? Gutted if I have.

Brian Ellis
26-Aug-2006, 14:19
Most people just put the exposed film in an empty film box. The three-part boxes are light tight by themselves, you don't need separate envelopes or anything like that. You can use the box that contained the film you've ruined for your first shipment then just keep a few empty boxes on hand as you use more film. You might consider purchasing in smaller quantities for your first few boxes. Or better yet, consider learning to develop b&w film yourself, you don't need a dedicated darkroom and it's quite easy to do.

jimbobuk
26-Aug-2006, 14:27
Thanks Brian, so i have ruined the film then... damn :)

I do indeed plan to develop them myself, i've done that in 35mm and medium format.. its why i've got a medium format back so that i can shoot this and also develop it quickly.. I've also got the paterson orbital processor to hopefully let me develop 5x4" as well..

The thing is i will do a good amount of black and white but i will also do a good amount of colour, probably transparencies.. i'm so glad i ruined the ilford.. although it was 25.. the smaller quantities weren't available from the place i got them from... but i also ordered to packs of velvia 50.. harder to get hold of, or at least it will be in a few more months!! :)

Makes sense to reuse the boxes.. I'm sure someone must sell these or folding sealing envelopes as well.. I've emailed the mail order processor, will see what they suggest as well.

Thanks for your help.

Brian Ellis
26-Aug-2006, 15:47
"Thanks Brian, so i have ruined the film then... damn "

No, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I had reached that conlcusion. I don't know for sure that it's ruined though it sounds like it probably is. I just assumed it was ruined because I thought you had reached that conclusion. By all means give a sheet or two a try, maybe a couple from the middle of the stack, before you expose it to any more light or throw it away.

Jim Jones
26-Aug-2006, 19:14
Thanks Brian, so i have ruined the film then... damn. . .

Like Brian says, try the film. The end of the sheets should be fogged, but the rest might be good enough for test shots. It might still be good enough for serious photography.

Diane Maher
26-Aug-2006, 19:25
The only films that come in a light tight envelope are the Fuji Quickloads, Kodak Readyloads, and Polaroid. Except for the Polaroid, these are only available as 4x5.