PDA

View Full Version : Some 510-PYRO Results

Eric Jones
26-Aug-2006, 00:02
I finally mixed up a batch of 510-PYRO and here are some preliminary testing results. I first determined the EI of each film using the 0.10 over b+f method. I determined the following:

510-PYRO
1:100
70 Deg.
Rotary Development on Beseler Base

Efke 25 = 50 ASA
Kodak TMX = 100 ASA
Fuji Acros = 100 ASA

I then shot 10 individual frames using an evenly lit white board, constant aperture and shutter speed and stacking ND filters to rule out inconsistent shutters/apertures. I was amazed how TMX and Acros are almost identical. I was also surprised by the speed of the Efke 25 but that film built up density fast, so maybe a lower dilution? Do these results track with anyone else that has tested these?

mikebarger
28-Aug-2006, 18:29
Hi Eric

Are you able to use b&W, or need a color setting. I have a really old machine that worked fine for Tri-X and HC-110, but I thought I've read the staining developers
need a color channel?

I've been using the 510 Pyro with 120 400 Tri-X and really like it.

Why do you think the Efke was nearly double its box speed?

Thanks

Mike

lee\c
28-Aug-2006, 18:37
Hi Eric,

first it looks like you have underexposed all the film by a few tenths. I would think if you are looking for .10>fb+f then you need to re rate the film a bit. maybe to ei 40 or so then it looks like the zone VIII is too high which indicates over development. Pull the development some and try for 1.30 >fb+f. If you are trying to use the zone system as outlined by Adams.

lee\c

Eric Jones
29-Aug-2006, 11:51
Hi Mike,

My densitometer does indeed have color settings as well as a visual setting. The above charts are from "Visual" channel readings of the negatives. My understanding is that blue channel readings are more useful for determining the masking densities of the pyro stain for UV sensitive alternative processes. Since I'm shooting 6x7, these negatives are designed for standard silver printing, so that's why I chose to go with the visual readings.

As far as getting double box speed on the Efke 25, I think that Lee is correct in that I may have underated it a little in this test. Some things that surprised me was the extremely low b+f of 0.02. The base is almost crystal clear. This was my first time trying the EFKE 25, so I did not know what to expect. I'm not sure if you get such low b+f with the film in other developers as well. It did build up contrast fast which I figured it would based on my reading about the film. Next time I will reduce the development time some more as opposed to switching to a higher dilution.

I can say that I was very impressed with my first round of testing with the developer. The only other experience I have with Pyro developers is with about 200 rolls put through W2D2+. What attracted me to trying out 510-PYRO was the fact that I could easily mix it myself and that the lasting properties of the developer was quite long as well as being economical. W2D2+ produces beautiful negatives, so I wanted to stick with a PYRO developer. The film speed seems great in this developer compared to W2D2+. Currently in W2D2+ I need to rate Acros and TMX at 40 ASA with the standard dilution and developing times. Also, the 510-PYRO negs seem smoother and are nearly grain free. Not exactly scientific but when I scanned the three films at 4800 dpi, I could not tell the difference between any of the three films at 100% magnification, grain wise. I've used Acros 90% of the time, so I'll probably stick mostly with that film. But all in all, I'm quite pleased and thank you for the tip Lee. Time to get out and make some new pics because this is about all the testing I really care to do!

Best,

Eric

p.s. I've included the Blue Density reading chart for EFKE 25 for comparison.

mikebarger
29-Aug-2006, 18:10
Thanks Eric

I too only print on silver.

I had used my antique Kodak to test for film speed and N +/- times with HC110, but didn't know if I could use it with the 510 pyro.

Thanks again

Mike