PDA

View Full Version : 6x9cm Graphic

Clemens
25-Aug-2006, 13:23
Folks, I am somewhat new to this forum - while I am writing this my second load of 4x5" Tri-X films is drying in the bathroom. I thought about LF a long time, now I have done it... and I would like to add something "in between" for high quality pictures in "almost-LF".

Actually these Graphic babies hardly qualify for this forum, but as an addition to my Shen Hao and as a portrait camera such a "Leica on steroids" could be nice and empty the purse much less than a Hasselblad or other stuff.

I know I have to take care with a Graphic that it has a Graflok back. I like the idea of having a rangefinder. But is it true that the rangefinder only works accurately with one single lens and if you change to a different lens you have to fumble somewhere on the camera to exchange a cam? I heard this is quite awkward if the camera's costly name is not Super Technika.

Bill_1856
25-Aug-2006, 13:57
There are no changable cams on the 6x9 Speed/Crown Graphics. Each lens is indivudually callibrated to the Kalart Rangefinder (about a 30 minute job). The cams on a 4x5 top rangefinder Graphic are interchangable, but a little tricky (best tackled sitting down, with the camera on a table). The Super Graphic cams can be changed in about 20 seconds, but unfortunately are difficult to come by other than for their original 135mm.

Dan Fromm
25-Aug-2006, 14:37
Clemens, what Bill_1856 wrote is true. The Kalart RF can be set up for only one lens.

The reason for wanting a Graflok back is that the usual roll holders attach to a Graflok, can't easily be used on a camera with a spring back. But there is one 2x3 roll holder for 2x3 press cameras that slips in like a sheet film holder and it doesn't require a Graflok back. The much-despised Adapt-A-Roll 620, which can feed film from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool.

To learn more about your options, visit www.graflex.org. If you don't need a 2x3 Speed Graphic, i.e., don't need a focal plane shutter, the Century Graphic has an integral Graflok. Can't fail to get a Graflok if you buy a Century. But of course you have to make sure to buy one with a focusing panel.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Oren Grad
25-Aug-2006, 14:46
But there is one 2x3 roll holder for 2x3 press cameras that slips in like a sheet film holder and it doesn't require a Graflok back. The much-despised Adapt-A-Roll 620, which can feed film from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool.

The 2x3/6x7 Rapid Rollex is also intended for use as a slide-in holder. I've used one with a Horseman VH-R, but don't know whether there are any quirks of the Graphic 2x3 spring-back design that would prevent the Rapid Rollex from fitting there as well. It's a modern design that doesn't require fussing with a 620 spool. For most people it would be overkill to pay the price of a new one (assuming you can still find one) to use with a Graphic, but every once in a while they turn up used at reasonable prices.

That said, you're still probably better off with a camera with Graflok back.

Clemens
26-Aug-2006, 03:43
There are no changable cams on the 6x9 Speed/Crown Graphics. Each lens is indivudually callibrated to the Kalart Rangefinder (about a 30 minute job). The cams on a 4x5 top rangefinder Graphic are interchangable, but a little tricky (best tackled sitting down, with the camera on a table). The Super Graphic cams can be changed in about 20 seconds, but unfortunately are difficult to come by other than for their original 135mm.

Oh, I did not expect that... so, practically the 6x9s are not cameras with interchangeable lenses but can be reconstructed to use different lenses... what a pity. Another 4x5 is too big for me. So, I have to buy 2 of these 6x9 cameras... or let it be. Aren't their any affordable alternatives?

GPS
26-Aug-2006, 04:13
If you don't need movements ("such as a portrait camera") it's hard to beat (at least in terms of value for the money) the old Mamiya press camera.

Dan Fromm
26-Aug-2006, 06:00
Oh, I did not expect that... so, practically the 6x9s are not cameras with interchangeable lenses but can be reconstructed to use different lenses... what a pity. Another 4x5 is too big for me. So, I have to buy 2 of these 6x9 cameras... or let it be. Aren't their any affordable alternatives?What? I use lenses from 38 mm to 480 mm on my 2x3 Graphics. I focus on the ground glass.

If you want a 6x9 camera with with rangefinder and whose interchangeable lenses couple to the rangefinder, look into the Mamiya Press, Graflex XL, and Fujica G690 systems.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Oren Grad
26-Aug-2006, 08:30
Aren't their any affordable alternatives?

Horseman VH-R, which is compatible with a complete system of Horseman lenses with matching cams. The construction is heavy metal, so it's close to 6 pounds with lens and rollholder, but that's no more than the weight of a 2x3 Technika with all the trimmings, and the Horseman is much cheaper than a Technika these days.

You have to change the cam and flip the corresponding infinity stops each time you change the lens, so it's not so quick and easy as changing the lens on a 35mm camera, but once you're in practice the whole thing can be done in less than a minute.