PDA

View Full Version : Minolta srT200

Dana44
24-Aug-2006, 19:08
I was recently given a Old Minolta srT200 film camera.. I have no idea what year the camera is made.. from what I understand. it's circa 1978.. So yea. I've never used a film camera, especially with manual focus, and zoom. as well as ISO, I mostly do photography during the day.. So I am not sure what to set the ISO at.. Also, were can I find lenses for it?

And are these camers any good?

Ron Marshall
24-Aug-2006, 19:10
This is a large format forum. Try APUG:

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/

Dana44
24-Aug-2006, 19:28
This is a large format forum. Try APUG:

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/

ah, it claims that regerstration is closed.

Hiro
24-Aug-2006, 19:52
I considered buying one back when, and circa 1978 makes sense. You set the iso to the film's you use.
You'll most likely get more thorough answers at APUG. It's not closed. Just closed to non-registered users. There is a link to registration in the HP.

Mark Sampson
25-Aug-2006, 06:54
You might also look at the Minolta forum on photo.net.

Vick Vickery
25-Aug-2006, 08:45
Ok, so he picked the wrong forum...we can still impart a little info, just to get the guy started...set the ISO to the film speed of the film you choose to shoot; for example when using a Kodak print film with a big "200" on the box, set your ISO at 200. I've bought lots of good lenses for my Minolta cameras on E-bay.

Bob Gentile
25-Aug-2006, 10:38
In a nutshell, the SR-T 200 was a "budget" model produced from (IIRC) 1976 to sometime in the early 1980's. The term "budget" applies to a pared down feature set and NOT to the quality of the camera. It's built like a tank! But it lacks some of the features which are available on the SR-T 201 and 202. (Mirror-lock-up? Self-timer? Not sure.)

Minolta/Rokkor and third party lenses are readily available on eBay. SR-Ts will take "MC-" or "MD-mount" lenses.

MIke Sherck
25-Aug-2006, 11:53
Minolta's SRT models are good cameras with excellent lenses but there's absolutely no automation whatsoever. I like 'em. Your big problem is going to be batteries: they were designed to use mercury cells (common at the time) which are illegal and unavailable these days. Wein cells are good replacements (available from many sources,) or your local camera shop can send it in and have the circuitry adjusted to use alkaline cells instead. Lenses are commonly available and very inexpensive on E-bay and I often see them at garage sales at in the used equipment sections of my local camera shops. Look for the 58mm f/1.2 lens: absolutely superb, world class.

Mike