PDA

View Full Version : My Wehman 8x10 Arrived

squiress
24-Aug-2006, 17:14
It's been here for a couple of days. Along with it has come some brand new Fidelity holders and a couple of lenses I ordered off of Ebay. Also a dark cloth, three boxes of Velvia, one box of 160VC. Now I am simply waiting for one last lens board to be drilled and shipped along with a lens board adaptor so that I can use my Toyo AX45 lens boards with this camera.

The camera was certainly well packed and while I temporarily mounted it to a Bogen hexagonal plate, I order a Bogen 4"x4" plate for permanent use on my 3063 panhead, which until I see how that works and examine other alternatives will be the primary head.

The camera itself opens very nicely. Unhook the nylon strap and unfold the front bed. I wasn't sure what Bruce meant in the instruction about locking the three front pins into their holes, but it is really straight forward once you see how they should fit. The front standard folds down on the rails. It's obvious that if you were going to leave a lens on the standard that it would have to fit between the rails.

Front movements are really straight forward, although the detent takes a bit of levering to get shift and swing. I really like the single knob, although haven't had much time to see how easy things work from under the darkcloth. The rear movements are wonderful. Very straight forward and easy to understand. The rear focusing and ability to do an asymetrical swing, and tilt as well are all very nicely engineered. I really like how the rear standard braces appear to be spring steel (stainless) and would allow for swing at tilt at the same time. And once swing is locked, both geared rails move with the single focusing knob.

I mounted a 480 Apo Ronar into the lensboard and was quite please with the brightness of the plexiglas GG. With its 19" focal length I was just out on the forward bed. With rear focus rails all the way back, I could almost reach focus with just the main bed. So it appears that I will be able to use most of my lenses with the front bed removed in the field. I am looking at 300C Fujinon and 305 G-Calron primarily so if someone has either that they'd like to sell, please contact me.

I also really liked the levered pressure plate opening. You just move a lever and the back opens to receive your film holder. No rotational torque on the camera pulling on plate tabs to insert holder.

I plan to spend a lot of time getting used to the controls under the dark cloth before taking any pictures. And since I don't want to screw up loading, I bought some 4x5 sheet film to practice with those loaders first with the Toyo.

One of my desires with an 8x10 camera was to shoot 4x10. The lenses I bought for my 45AX were good for coverage of that format for the most part. Bruce will probably get into making that type of back, using someone elses holders, but it will likely be 12-18 months. Still looking for options there, but I suspect if there are some other folks with Wehmans (and I know there are at least 160 of you) had a desire to do the same, he might bump it up in priority. I would like to use Canham holders.

Really enjoyed chatting with Bruce. Since he used to live here in Colorado, he provided me some pointers on Rocky Mountain National Park, as to places to shoot.

Anyway, will get this well understood and start taking pictures. I have the 4x4 plate to get in and some Ektachrome 100 yet to arrive, plus the lens board and lens board adaptor. Then I'm ready.

Nice to have the site back up. Missed it.

Stew

Kerry L. Thalmann
24-Aug-2006, 17:19
Stew,

Congrats on your new 8x10 Wehman. As far as the 8x10-to-4x10 reducing back goes, Shen-Hao makes one for their 8x10 cameras. Badger Graphic has it listed on their web site for $295. Perhaps you could get one of those and modify it (or have Bruce modify it) to fit your Wehman. I haven't seen one in person, but from the pictures it looks like it was designed to take the 4x10 Canham holders.

Kerry

Ralph Barker
24-Aug-2006, 17:42
Congrats, Stew. Happy clicking.

Linhof
24-Aug-2006, 17:43
My 4x10 back is just a half cut of 8x10 dark slide. You can make it in 2 mintues and the cost is low.

CXC
24-Aug-2006, 19:33
"I really like the single knob..."

Stew, you are the first person I've heard of who actually *prefers* a single control for two movements, plus rough focus. Most of us consider it a drawback.

Actually, that particular knob is the one weakish point in the Wehman design in my experience. The front standard can come off the rails pretty easily if you loosen it too much, and it is not quite trivial to get it back on. But given its manifold other strengths, I would never trade my Wehman for any other currently existing 8x10.

Don Hutton
24-Aug-2006, 19:48
Have to confess, I just bought the "lightweight" model and I am very impressed. It has some great original design ideas and seems to be well executed and simple to use. A fully functional 7.5 lb 8x10 with 31 inches of bellows was too much to resist....

squiress
25-Aug-2006, 05:14
"I really like the single knob..."

Stew, you are the first person I've heard of who actually *prefers* a single control for two movements, plus rough focus. Most of us consider it a drawback.

Actually, that particular knob is the one weakish point in the Wehman design in my experience. The front standard can come off the rails pretty easily if you loosen it too much, and it is not quite trivial to get it back on. But given its manifold other strengths, I would never trade my Wehman for any other currently existing 8x10.

I started off with a Crown Graphic 4x5 and that's the way swing and shift work on it (although not much) and the Toyo 45AX is the same, although both of these are levers and not a knob. So this was like coming home. Very familiar!

squiress
12-Sep-2006, 05:40
Well this has all come together wonderfully! Yesterday I got my first four 8x10 processed negatives (Portra 160VC) back from Reed Photo Imaging here in Denver. They have done an outstanding job on everything I've given them. The shots were made of flowerbeds in my front yard. I used a Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 180mm for these first efforts. The Wehman was very easy to use, setting up the front standard and then fine focusing with the rear. The removal of the film sheets and placement in the triple film box for delivery to the processor seemed a little chancy to me, but it worked out just fine (I normally shoot Quickloads in my 4x5 so all this film holder stuff is new to me.)

I have an Epson Perfection 700 scanner and it is set up to handle 8x10s very nicely. I could see in the preview scans that I lost a bit of upper corners on two negatives and lower corners on the other two, so the Rodenstock is likely a no movement capable 8x10 lens, and that I should reserve it for when I get the 4x10 back thing working. One thing about these big negatives is that you don't have to scan at high density. For a 16x20 print, it's just 600dpi and you're there for final prints at 300dpi.

To wrap things up, I also received the second lensboard that came with the camera from Bruce yesterday. That allowed me to mount the 300C Fuji, which will be the primary lens for this camera. And the adaptor board for my Toyo 45AX lensboards arrived last week so I'm pretty much set.

I have always liked larger image scale when looking at graphics, whether it be a picture or a computer monitor or the image in a telescope eyepiece. I think 8x10 fits that to a tee, although with a rough cost of $15 a shot to get to a scanned image, I will settle for many more 4x5s and a lot more 120 efforts, reserving this format for specific efforts.

It will take more time to get more comfortable mechanically with this camera and it's movements, but already it is a lot of fun and has produced some nice images (when cropped a wee bit.:)

Stew

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-Sep-2006, 06:14
So show us some images! :)

squiress
12-Sep-2006, 06:25
Not sure how to post an image with a reply. Do you just attach the JPEG using the Manage Attachments button? Is there a size limitation? Will get something out here tonight if I can figure it out.

Stew

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-Sep-2006, 06:34
You can upload images by manage attatchments, but the size limit is 650x650 pixles and 175kb, so it`s better to upload a larger image to a free site as Flickr and hotlink it here. I want to see a big image :)

Ralph Barker
12-Sep-2006, 06:40
Not sure how to post an image with a reply. Do you just attach the JPEG using the Manage Attachments button? Is there a size limitation? Will get something out here tonight if I can figure it out.

Stew

Yep, the Manage Attachments button is the door to image uploads. You can upload directly from your computer, or via a URL. JPEGs are limited to 650x650 pixels and a file size of 180KB.

CXC
12-Sep-2006, 09:34
Stew, most labs will accept film still in the holder, for processing. That's how I do it. Of course that puts said holders out of action for a little while...

squiress
12-Sep-2006, 09:47
Reed has a surcharge for handling film in the holders so I kinda wanted to avoid that. As well, if I ding them up I don't feel so bad, but I don't have a feel for how they would be treated by the person developing so better to simply not let them have them. And as you point out, and since I only have six, with a couple out of commission while at the lab, I could short myself. The multiple layer film box seems to work fine, but I rubberband it just to make sure it doesn't come apart accidentally.

Stew

CXC
12-Sep-2006, 10:42
Well, the e6 lab I use has a surcharge for handling ReadLoads, instead of filmholders, so there's always something, eh? Anyways, it sounds like you got your film handling under control, so you can move on to the NEXT problem. Or solution.

BTW, though not really a chrome guy, I happened to obtain some out-of-date but perfectly good 8x10 Ektachrome for dirt cheap, just for fun, and boy is it fun! I particularly enjoy fooling around with macro imagery, around 1:1. Then I use my laptop as a light box.

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-Sep-2006, 11:41
BTW, though not really a chrome guy, I happened to obtain some out-of-date but perfectly good 8x10 Ektachrome for dirt cheap, just for fun, and boy is it fun! I particularly enjoy fooling around with macro imagery, around 1:1. Then I use my laptop as a light box.

You bet 8x10 chromes are fun! I got an almost full(about 40 sheets) box of Provia dated 03/99 for $12
last year. Finally got around to shoot a couple of sheets a few weeks ago. I had the lab push it 2/3 stop and it came out great! A tiny mageneta tint(fixed in 2 seconds in PS) was all...

squiress
12-Sep-2006, 18:42
Okay, I finally got flickr to accept my pics, but only when I uploaded them at their archival level. When I tried to get them at a higher pixel size they only showed up black. Although not large scale, you can see the slight darkening at some of the corners as the image circle of the Rodenstock 180 was reached.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93938926@N00/241988238/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93938926@N00/241988300/in/photostream/

Stew

Capocheny
12-Sep-2006, 22:31
Stew, most labs will accept film still in the holder, for processing. That's how I do it. Of course that puts said holders out of action for a little while...

Hi Chris,

LOL... just buy about 25 more holders. Then, you won't have to worry about having a few in the lab! :)

Yeah, most labs will accept film in holders for processing but the lab I use charges us an additional 50 cents a sheet!

Cheers