PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Aftermath

Tom Westbrook
24-Aug-2006, 15:32
For those who missed it, the LF Home Page and the Forum were off line between 8/19 at about 5:45 CDT until now due to a hard server crash.

I was able to use the Saturday morning backup, so all the posts up to 19-Aug-2006 at 02:44 CDT were preserved. Anything posted after that was not. I've appended the posts that were automatically emailed to me (as a result of being subscribed to everything) below. If the author desires, they can repost (let me know if you need the re-ordered in the thread they belong to after you repost). You can choose not to repost if you so desire.

Anyway, everything else seems to be intact at this point, but I didn't look at every post. If you find any issues, email a detailed description of the problem to the moderators using the Contact Us form--be sure to refer to the page where your found the problem. If your account seems to be broken, be sure to include your user name (the one you use to log in with).

Anyway, enjoy!

Here are the missing posts (times are Central Daylight time, GMT-5):

Time: 8/19/2006 3:30AM
Forum: For Sale/Wanted
Thread: WTB - Ilex #4 Shutter
Author: Capocheny

Perhaps...

I took it apart, and there's one piece that is pretty badly fused. Its supposed to move freely and it doesn't really want to move at all. I figure that the repair costs on the shutter may actually be more than buying a replacement, but I'll check into it.

Thanks!

Hi Sheldon,

Well, I hope it can be repaired. The fellow I use is absolutely great and he's able to repair just about anything that can go wrong. If he can't fix a particular part... he's able to replicate the part. He's a "single" version of S.K. Grimes! :)

If you do some searching in the archives... I believe there's a repair technician that is really highly recommended by some of the forum members. I'm sorry but I just can't seem to recall the person's name.

Good luck.

Cheers

Time: 8/19/2006 4:30AM
Forum: Cameras & Camera Accessories
Thread: Thoughts on the Shen-Hao 4x5
Author: Paul-Owen

Hi. Any search on the subject will reveal a great deal of debate on these cameras! Some love them - others are not so fussed! However, if you are looking for a cheap entry into LF then you have no choice (other than looking around for a used Tachi or Wista). I think the biggest "problem" with Shen Hao is quality control - you either get a great one or a lousy example.

Time: 8/19/2006 4:54 AM
Forum: Lenses & Lens Accessories
Thread: 135mm or 150mm - Help persuade me
Author: JW Dewdney

Focal length will have absolutely no bearing whatever on the quality of your shots, nor your learning - though if you do pick a more 'difficult' lens - you may learn more and become more creative. Pick one. It doesn't matter which. Stay with it and don't buy any more for as long as you can bear it. The more basic you keep your tools, the better you'll get with them.

I'm sorry if this advice conlicts with previous posts.

Time: 8/19/2006 10:12AM
Thread: 135mm or 150mm - Help persuade me
Author: Leonard Evens

Focal length will have absolutely no bearing whatever on the quality of your shots, nor your learning - though if you do pick a more 'difficult' lens - you may learn more and become more creative. ...

Focal length may have no bearing on the quality of the shots you take, but it certainly has a bearing on which shots you take. That is why it is advisable for a beginning to start with a viewing frame to get an idea of what he or she can do with a given focal length and compare that with what he or she wants to do.

Time: 8/19/2006 10:15AM
Thread: strange lens in a Bionic shutter
Author: Wenbiao Liang

Thanks Dan again for the information, I will sure take some shots with it, after I fix the shutter that is. :)

Thanks,
Wenbiao

tim atherton
24-Aug-2006, 16:21
Hey Tom - epic job - thanks!

Eric Biggerstaff
24-Aug-2006, 16:21
Tom,

Good work to you and all that helped! I missed everyone and it is great to be back in business. Thanks again for the excellent work.

Christopher Perez
24-Aug-2006, 16:22
Wow. Suddenly I can breath easier. Never knew I'd miss y'all as much as I did. :)

Lee Hamiel
24-Aug-2006, 16:27
Thanks for all of the work you do on here - I do appreciate it

Tom Westbrook
24-Aug-2006, 16:38
Actually, Brian Reid did all the work--I just restored the forum data. He replaced the entire server and put the database on a RAID array this time, so this sort of long outage should not reoccur. I'll pass on the gratitude, though! He's a great guy in my book!

BrianShaw
24-Aug-2006, 16:42
Good going, folks! Welcome back!!

Ben Hopson
24-Aug-2006, 16:54
Withdrawal symptoms are easing up already. Welcome back!

David Karp
24-Aug-2006, 16:55
Its great to be back. Thanks for putting things back together, and thanks to Brian Reid.

It is amazing how much I missed this august group during the past few days this August!

Hiro
24-Aug-2006, 17:08
A good fix must feel like this (ahhh...).
Thanks to all who worked on the disaster relief.

Mike Boden
24-Aug-2006, 17:10
Oh yeah!!! I'm so happy that this forum is back up. Although I don't post all the time, I read it just about every day.

Tom & Brian...thank you so much for all your effort. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Oren Grad
24-Aug-2006, 17:16
Tom and Brian - thanks so much for all your hard work!

Ron Marshall
24-Aug-2006, 17:17
Thanks very much to all concerned for their dedication to this site. It is greatly appreciated.

George Stewart
24-Aug-2006, 17:21
Thanks many times over. I'm sure that many hours went into bring it back online.

John Kasaian
24-Aug-2006, 17:21
Great work! Now that the forum is back up I can stop prowling around on eBay!

Thanks!

lee\c
24-Aug-2006, 17:37
great to have you back.

lee\c

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2006, 17:50
You know that all you have to do is ask and I bet 1000 people here would each kick in $5 towards more hardware.

Heck, to me you're worth a lot more than that.

Thanks,
Frank

Brian Ellis
24-Aug-2006, 18:01
Thanks for all the work Tom, Brian, and anyone else who was involved. INot having this forum available for a few days made me realize how much I enjoy it and learn from it.

tim atherton
24-Aug-2006, 18:02
Thanks for all the work Tom, Brian, and anyone else who was involved. INot having this forum available for a few days made me realize how much I enjoy it and learn from it.

I wonder how many of us got more work done though... :-)

Dan V
24-Aug-2006, 18:06
You know that all you have to do is ask and I bet 1000 people here would each kick in $5 towards more hardware.

Heck, to me you're worth a lot more than that.

Thanks,
Frank

Great idea. Let's up the donation to $10 each.

Neal Wydra
24-Aug-2006, 18:14
Thank you for your ongoing efforts.

Neal Wydra

Marko
24-Aug-2006, 20:09
Amazing work, guys. Great to see you back.

I'm with Frank and Dan about donations.

jwaddison
24-Aug-2006, 20:14
I've been reading and learning from this site most days for over a year, and I missed it. Thanks to all the people who worked on getting it back up.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Aug-2006, 20:15
Thanks, guys! Agreed--I'd be happy to make a contribution to support the forum.

paulr
24-Aug-2006, 20:22
Another thanks for all the hard work.

Now someone post a familiar troll ... quick!

Ralph Barker
24-Aug-2006, 20:24
On behalf of Brian and Tom, who actually did the work, thanks, guys. Until such time as we actually need to use a commercial service to host the site, however, we have no need for financial contributions.

Mark Carstens
24-Aug-2006, 21:05
I don't make much noise around here, but I'm an avid reader, and archive digger. It's great to have such an invaluable resource at my fingertips once again.

Thanks a million, Brian and Tom!

~Mark

Emmanuel BIGLER
25-Aug-2006, 02:38
Thank you to those who worked Hard, Tom W. and Brian Reid.
I know that Brian has been the maintaineer of other photographic discussions groups & archives that I cannot mention here since the format is too small ;-);-) so we know his expertise.

The missing posts reminds me the old story of the missing socks at the laudry.
When the amount of linen is substantial, there are always a few missing socks somewhere at the end.

Michael Graves
25-Aug-2006, 04:26
Thanks, guys! Agreed--I'd be happy to make a contribution to support the forum.

I'll contribute a copy of my new book, The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+, as soon as it's released. Just let me know where to mail it.

Vick Vickery
25-Aug-2006, 05:56
Thank goodness its back up...I was beginning to have withdrawal!!!

Don Wallace
25-Aug-2006, 06:11
This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster. When I had a disk crash last year, I lost a lot of scans, but the originals were safely tucked away in their little envelopes. Sure, if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries. And when the technology changes, the originals will still be tucked away their little envelopes.

Scott Knowles
25-Aug-2006, 06:51
Having spent 15+ years in data/database management I can understand the time everything goes clunk. In my case it was a 24/7 real-time satelite data system, so I spent many off-hours in/outdoors year-around with the team getting things running. And it's one of the jobs everything goes back to normal after the work, so you don't get the time back, but please find the time to take a break (a nice beach, forest, or ?) and send us a (digital) postcard. You have my respect and admiration for the work. Thanks.

--Scott--

s preston Jones
25-Aug-2006, 08:14
Tell me where to send the money. This forum is very important and we should all support it. I really missed the questions and answers.

lcrannell
25-Aug-2006, 09:05
Thanks Tom for your efforts.

As a new member and recent purchaser of an used LF camera, the information from this forum has been invaluable. When it came back online I was able to get other questions answered.

Thank you again for so much work in getting this forum back online, and for running such a great forum.

Loren

lcrannell
25-Aug-2006, 09:07
I agree. with the information that I have received from the forum it's probably saved me a $1000 dollars.

I would be happy to Paypal $10 for the cause.

Loren

Greg Miller
25-Aug-2006, 10:13
It's good to have the site back. Thanks to all whose efforts go to providing this site and fixing it when it goes down.

Capocheny
25-Aug-2006, 10:34
Good to have the forum up and running again... sure did miss it!

I'd also be glad to PayPal $10 in support of this valuable resource... just let me know where to send it, ok?

Cheers

QT Luong
25-Aug-2006, 12:18
This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster [....] if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries.

If the house burned down, I would recover all of my digital files (except maybe for the last week) from my backup location. Since those files are a large part of how I support myself and my family, it would be a top worry if they would be lost.

Greg Miller
25-Aug-2006, 14:35
This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster. When I had a disk crash last year, I lost a lot of scans, but the originals were safely tucked away in their little envelopes. Sure, if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries. And when the technology changes, the originals will still be tucked away their little envelopes.

Trusting your files to 1 hard drive is asking for trouble. But having a 2nd hard drive to backup everything to is very easy and inexpensive. And running a utlity every night to copy new/changed files to the backup is easy and free. Keeping an additional copy off site is even better. I would much rather do this and know that I have backup copies then trust a single film copy (which can be destoryed by fire, water, mold, pollution, mice,...). Technology change is an incredibly minor issue (and certainly as much of a concern with film as digital). There's always a migration path form old media to new.

Pronier Jean Claude
26-Aug-2006, 09:13
Happy the forum is back.
Many thanks for the hard job you had. And bravo for the success

darr
26-Aug-2006, 09:42
Thank you everyone!