PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Shen-Hao 4x5

davidb
18-Aug-2006, 20:03
I am about to buy the Shen-Hao 4x5 and I wanted to get some thoughts on the camera from people who have used it.

Also, is the 90-150-210 the typical 4x5 set-up?

thanks.

Capocheny
18-Aug-2006, 20:17
David,

I've got quite a few friends who have the Shen-Hao 4x5 and absolutely love it. For the dollar value... it's pretty hard to beat. I think it's pretty well built and will handle pretty much whatever you want to photograph with it.

As for a "typical" set-up... it really is very dependent on what sorts of subjects you want to shoot. The 90-150-210 is a pretty good place to start though. Personally, I went with a 240 instead of the 210... but again, that's a matter of personal preference. Some shooters prefer a 180 over the 150.

You've had 18 postings here so I'm assuming you know a thing or two about LF. So, my advice is to just get a basic lens, whether it's a 150 or 210 and start shooting with it. That's the easiest way to learn... sink yourself knee deep into the quagmire! :)

Good luck...

Cheers

Ted Harris
18-Aug-2006, 20:18
The Shen-Hao is a solid wood field camera at an 'entry level price. It is a good option for stating out and may even last you for many years. It will do everything much more expensive cameras will do ... just without the same fit and finish that they have and without the same precise feel you have in others. If the bellows extension of the Shen-Hao is not something you need then you should also look at the Tachihara which is in the same price range and, IMO much better finished ... also several pounds lighter.

As for lenses, you will get responses that go all over the lot. 90-150-210 is a 'set' that many have but it may not fit your taste or needs. I suggest you statt with one lens, either the 150 (if you prefer a bit wide of normal) or the 210 (if you pefer to shoot a bit tighter). Personally I have a 75 - 110 -135 ......

Ron Marshall
18-Aug-2006, 21:01
I have 75, 110, 150, 210. But 90, 150, 210 or 240 would make an excellent three lens kit.

Gordon Moat
18-Aug-2006, 21:35
Hello david b,

I have a Shen-Hao HZX45A-II since January this year. So far I only have a 135mm and a 210mm, though I hope to add a 75mm at some point. My Shen-Hao needed a little bit of lubrication, then working all the controls through their movements a few minutes until it got smoother. Despite the numerous knobs, I have quickly found it fairly easy to unfold at get ready for shooting, or to pack it away. While not super compact, it does fit into a reasonable size. If you start off with one of the smaller lenses, you can probably leave it on the lensboard on the camera when you fold it all up. My 135mm just needs to be flipped around to allow the camera to fold up easily. If you want lots of information, go to the Shen-Hao Users Group (SHUG) over at Yahoo Groups, and feel free to ask more questions.

Lenses selection can depend a great deal on what you want to photograph. I do architecture, automotive, and urban imaging with my Shen-Hao, which sort of dictates my choices. I wanted one small lens that would pack into the camera, which I got in my 135mm. The other lenses can fit into my bag, though I might be going towards a 180mm to replace my ancient 210, or maybe a newer 210mm. Remember that you can crop from a wider view, though if you have clients or an art director that want pre-cropped shots you can always add a roll film back.

My suggestion is to start with one lens, somewhere in the 120mm, 135mm, 150mm, 180mm, or 210mm choices. Once you have the camera and that one lens, then you can practice. After numerous shots, you should get an idea of whether you want your next lens to give you a wider or tighter view, or if you simply need something that allows more movements.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Aug-2006, 22:44
You might want to read this post:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19251

Personally, I love my Shen-Hao and am amazed at the level of quality for such a low price, but many forum users have quite a different opinion from me.

Brian Ellis
19-Aug-2006, 00:07
If the bellows extension of the Shen-Hao is not something you need then you should also look at the Tachihara which is in the same price range and, IMO much better finished ... also several pounds lighter.

Actually in normal configuration the Tachihara has a one inch longer bellows (13" for it vs 12" for the Shen Hao). Shen Hao claims another couple inches through some gyrations with front tilt. I think the Tachihara can do the same but I'm not sure. In any event, I wouldn't want to have to go through those gyrations if I could avoid it so if bellows length is a consideration that would tend to favor the Tachihara. Both, however, are fine cameras and perfectly usable for most purposes. As Ted says, the Tachihara is lighter but then the Shen Hao has a couple more movements.

CXC
24-Aug-2006, 19:40
I started out with a Shen Hao and was happy with it. Eventually I wanted more bellows and upgraded to a Walker, which has about TWICE the bellows extension the S-H had.

I think a 90 - 210 combo is a great pair of lenses -- I am not at all sure I would need something in between.