PDA

View Full Version : Folding a C-1

Jim Rice
18-Aug-2006, 17:55
Margret (the magnesium C-1) and I are still lensless, but we are getting to know each other nonetheless. The way I have folded her so far is to slide the tripod block onto the front rail, unscrew the rear rail, position the rear rail to near vertical, slide the tripod block back to semi-support the rear rail vertically and then compress the rear extention rail against the block to keep the rear rail from banging the rear standard. This is in addition to mashing (technical talk) the two studs on the rear standard into holes in the front standard. This works reasonably well until the studs work their way out of the holes, and, once again, I achieve the (undesirable) banging. Also there are holes tangent to the studs into the sockets which would seem to portend some way to secure the studs in the sockets via the reduced diameter along the studs.

At this point I'll mention that while all the user's photographs that I've seen of a folded monster look more or less like this, the vintage (old) Calumet catalogues show the tripod block on the vertical rear rail when folded. How they keep that rear rail puppy up in that case is beyond me.

I suspect that I am either missing some fundamental truth here or there is a nuance that I'm unware of. Or the damned things are just supposed to bang together.

Was there such a thing as a user's manual for a Calumet C-1 (if there was one for a 4x5 Wisner tech, I didn't get one)? If not, there must be many current or former C-1 users here. So what do/did you do?

John Abbott
18-Aug-2006, 18:59
Hi Jim,
I'm attaching a picture of a folded C-1; it might help. If you want a larger version of this image, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. I'm at jda8x10@verizon.net.
When folded, the prongs on the rear standard fit into holes on the front standard, and there are thumbscrews that you lock to hold the prongs in place.
The tripod block is all the way forward.
The rear section of the rail folds up toward the ground glass, and clips fit over the screwheads to form a right-angle and hold the rear rail in place.
I just sold my C-1 and sent the instructions with it; sorry I don't have a copy to send you. But I got the instructions from contacting Calumet -- you might try them to see if they still have a set they can fax you. That's how they sent mine.
Hope this helps.
--John

John Hannon
18-Aug-2006, 19:11
Jim, those clips are the only thing holding the rear rail and it seems flimsy, but it seems to hold up well. The clips are held down on one end by phillip-head screws attached to the front rail (right at the bend). The other end is a hole that fits into a screw head on the rear rail as John said. They are loose enough for you to slide on to the rear. They also may be missing on your camera....

If you look at the lower right area of John's photo you can see it.

I hope this helps. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,
John Hannon

Jon Shiu
18-Aug-2006, 21:33
The C1 I had had broken clips, so I just fastened the rail to the handle with a velcro strap or a twist tie.

Jon

Chris Strobel
24-Aug-2006, 16:32
Thats a good idea anyway as even with the clips the rail is loose and chatters against the bail arm.I've got some photos of Brett Weston with his C-1 and the clips are missing.I saw a photo of Cole Weston and his C-1 and no clips either.Also have the Christopher Burkett video, and from what I can see in the video the clips are missing on his Black Beast C-1.Very interesting and curious.

Chris

The C1 I had had broken clips, so I just fastened the rail to the handle with a velcro strap or a twist tie.

Jon

Jim Rice
24-Aug-2006, 17:24
So it appears I'm in very good company with my broken clips. Thanks folks, it appears the sulution to my banging issue is my missing thumb screws. Thanks again.

Chris Strobel
25-Aug-2006, 10:45
Is this the John Abbott from Irvine that had a spread in B&W magazine?

Hi Jim,
I'm attaching a picture of a folded C-1; it might help. If you want a larger version of this image, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. I'm at jda8x10@verizon.net.
When folded, the prongs on the rear standard fit into holes on the front standard, and there are thumbscrews that you lock to hold the prongs in place.
The tripod block is all the way forward.
The rear section of the rail folds up toward the ground glass, and clips fit over the screwheads to form a right-angle and hold the rear rail in place.
I just sold my C-1 and sent the instructions with it; sorry I don't have a copy to send you. But I got the instructions from contacting Calumet -- you might try them to see if they still have a set they can fax you. That's how they sent mine.
Hope this helps.
--John