PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Copal Shutter Lenses ON F2 with Auto Aperture Shutter ?.

Thalmees
18-Aug-2006, 16:25
Hi all :).
This is the 1st post for me here. Sorry if it is repeated.
I would like to thank you(all) in advance for any contribution.
I have an old Sinar F2 with the mechanical behind the lens shutter(Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter). My lenses are DB or DBM mounted.
Now, I offered a new cheap Sinar F2, but without Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter, along with 3 lenses in copal(between lens) shutters on lens boards.
My inquiry now, is: can I use the copal shutters lenses, directly on the Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter like the DB or DBM mounted lenses ?
If there is any needed modefication, what is it ?
Appreciating any help.
Thanks again.

JW Dewdney
18-Aug-2006, 16:47
It's all a matter of the rear clearance. How about this? Why don't you just take the shutter OFF when you're shooting with your shuttered lenses? It's not like it's hard. I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't know this. Have you used your F2 before? It seemed from your post like you had.

Thalmees
18-Aug-2006, 17:30
It's all a matter of the rear clearance. How about this? Why don't you just take the shutter OFF when you're shooting with your shuttered lenses? It's not like it's hard. I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't know this. Have you used your F2 before? It seemed from your post like you had.
Thanks JW. Appreciating your help.
The kit I'm planning to buy, is like NEW F2 with shuttered lenses.
I used my OLD Sinar with Auto Aperture Shutter + DB/DBM lenses for almost a year. I even do not know how to take the Auto Aperture Shutter out, because I did not need to.
of course, I did not use the NEW F2 with shuttered lenses up to now.
I'm thinking to take the Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter from the OLD F2 and to attetch it to the NEW F2(and to continue using my DB/DBM lenses).
But what about the shuttered lenses ? I have to take it with the kit.
You may feel it strange that I'm using my F2 in the field(Nature+Landscape :)). And taking the Auto Aperture Shutter OFF every time I need a shuttered lens, is overwhilming.
So, what's the best solution in this case ?
thanks again Dewdney.

Capocheny
18-Aug-2006, 19:46
Hi Thalmees,

If I'm understanding your question properly... you now have an F2 with 3 Db-mounted lenses.

You've been offered some lenses mounted in Copal shutters.

Your question is, "Can I use them directly on the Sinar Auto-apperture shutter?"

------

The answer in short is, "No." Your board mounted lenses with the Copal shutters will go in place of the auto-shutter. In other words, you remove the auto-shutter from the camera. This is a simple proceedure and all it takes is a lift of the locks on top of the standard to remove the auto-shutter. Now, you can use your Copal mounted lenses.

When you want to use your Db-mounted lenses... you place the auto-shutter back onto the camera.

Sorry, but there's just no easy way for you to get around replacing the auto-shutter if you want to use Copal mounted lenses on the camera and vice versa.

I'd suggest you pull out the instruction manual... it's pretty much self-explanatory and is easy to follow. If you don't have a copy of the instruction manual... contact Sinar-Bron in New Jersey and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send a copy out to you.

Good luck.. the F2 is a fine camera!

Cheers

JW Dewdney
18-Aug-2006, 20:09
The shutter comes off just like a lensboard. If you can remove a lensboard, you can remove the shutter. Verrrry easy.

Capocheny
18-Aug-2006, 20:18
The shutter comes off just like a lensboard. If you can remove a lensboard, you can remove the shutter. Verrrry easy.

Exxxxxactly! :)

Cheers

Thalmees
25-Aug-2006, 00:12
Hi,
Sorry for being absent(my last reply was missed).
I wrote my final reply just befor the last server problem of this great forum. But I think it was missed during recovery. Anyhow:
I would like to thank you for your help.
Capocheny & JW Dewdney, thanks tooooo much for the great help.
Best Regards.

Armin Seeholzer
25-Aug-2006, 01:53
Hi Thalmess

If the back of the lenses is much smaller then the opening of the Sinar shutter you just can open the shutter and mount the lens but make sure you do not close the Sinar shutter!

Thalmees
26-Aug-2006, 12:15
Hi Thalmess

If the back of the lenses is much smaller then the opening of the Sinar shutter you just can open the shutter and mount the lens but make sure you do not close the Sinar shutter!
Hi Armin,
This was the same logic I was assuming. I still did not recieve the new F2, and (honestly) hope it will work the way you mention. Any way, I found taking the Auto Aperture Shutter OFF the front standard, simpler than I thought. Something like re-orientation of the back standerd from horizontal to vertical or vis versa.
Appreciating your help. Thanks.
Best wishes.

Dirk Baeumker
27-Aug-2006, 06:10
An other option would be to get some DB lensboards and mount your copal lensens in them. If you do not like to do it yourself, Sinar would re-mount the lenses for you.
You could sell the copal lensborards then.

Bjorn Nilsson
16-Sep-2006, 16:29
Last, and mentioned before: If the lens doesn't stick out far back, you can use the shutter normally. If I remember correctly the lens shouldn't protrude more than 18mm (11/16") from the back of the lens plate, but I might be wrong about the exact figures. Without measuring I know that a Symmar 150mm and a Fujinon 240A doesn't touch the shutter blades.

Thalmees
17-Sep-2006, 12:21
Hi Dirk.
Your idea is great realy(actually the correct way). But in this time, I'm thinking to keep the shuttered lenses as they are & excercise them every few months. If it happened that the behined lens shutter was broken, I can still use those shuttered lenses effecently.
Thanks too much.
regards.

An other option would be to get some DB lensboards and mount your copal lensens in them. If you do not like to do it yourself, Sinar would re-mount the lenses for you.
You could sell the copal lensborards then.

Thalmees
20-Sep-2006, 07:49
Thanks Bjorn.
I hope that at least some of those shuttered lenses can fit into Auto Aperture Shutter.
One of the lenses is 150mm.
Best regards.

If I remember correctly the lens shouldn't protrude more than 18mm (11/16") from the back of the lens plate, but I might be wrong about the exact figures.
The biggest DB lens I have, is protruding back around that figure(18 mm). The smallest DB lens I have, is protruding back few millimeters(~3 mm) only. So I think your role is correct or at least a very close estimation.

Without measuring I know that a Symmar 150mm and a Fujinon 240A doesn't touch the shutter blades.
Thanks for this piece of knowledge.

Last, and mentioned before: If the lens doesn't stick out far back, you can use the shutter normally. If I remember correctly the lens shouldn't protrude more than 18mm (11/16") from the back of the lens plate, but I might be wrong about the exact figures. Without measuring I know that a Symmar 150mm and a Fujinon 240A doesn't touch the shutter blades.

Thalmees
25-Oct-2006, 08:14
Hi all.
I've recieved my SINAR kit,Two weeks ago.
Hopefully, all lenses can fit into SINAR Auto Aperture Shutter.
These lenses are:
1. Sinar Sinaron W 6.8/90mm, in COPAL-No.0
2. Sinar Sinaron S 5.6/150mm, in COPAL-No.0
3. Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 5.6/210mm, in COPAL-No.1(Shutter not working unfortunately)
Just for your information.
Thanks again to all of you.
Best regards.