PDA

View Full Version : Recessed/Extension Lensboard

SAShruby
18-Aug-2006, 07:03
I came recently through this link: Do It Yourself Build Your Own Recessed Lensboards (http://shutterbug.com/techniques/film_processing/0400sb_doit/)

I need to build like 10" extension lensboard for my 35" Artar. Lens is heavy, like 4 Lb. What do you think? Is it going to hold it? I very much doubt so.

Is there any other material, except wood I can use?

Cheers.

Don Hutton
18-Aug-2006, 07:10
I came recently through this link: Do It Yourself Build Your Own Recessed Lensboards (http://shutterbug.com/techniques/film_processing/0400sb_doit/)

I need to build like 10" extension lensboard for my 35" Artar. Lens is heavy, like 4 Lb. What do you think? Is it going to hold it? I very much doubt so.

Is there any other material, except wood I can use?

Cheers.

I would suggest having it made out of aluminium (I've had a machine shop make a recessed lensboard for an enlarger); but a 10 inch extension is going to put a huge amount of torque on the front standard with a 4lb lens hanging on it. If you're considering it on the Deardorff, I would be very surprised if it worked - those locks on the front tilt are just not going to cut it IMO.

Ernest Purdum
18-Aug-2006, 07:14
A 4 pound lens out on the end of a 10" extension would be trying very hard to introduce the ultimate front tilt.

Nick_3536
18-Aug-2006, 07:27
Put a tripod mount on the bottom of the tophat. Then use something like a monopod or even a second tripod. But then I'd consider using a second tripod with any 35" setup.

SAShruby
18-Aug-2006, 07:41
That is not a bad idea guys using a sedond tripod. I will take piece of aluminum, dril a hole, make threads in it, make tripod lock system, lock it on tripod and used bellows for extension.

Brian Ellis
18-Aug-2006, 09:44
I agree with Ernest. Unless you take some serious precautions (such as a second tripod under the lens/extension and who knows what else) you're likely to get 90 degrees of front tilt when you put a 4 lb lens on a 10 inch extension (i.e. the kind of front tilt you get when the camera falls forward and hits the ground).

Jim Rhoades
18-Aug-2006, 10:56
I would not be suprised if you ripped the screws out of the lens board clips on the front standard long before you got the second tripod attached. This sounds like a job for a green monster. There was a reason Calumet built those tanks.