PDA

View Full Version : Cheap substite for Azo Paper. (For testing purposes)

SAShruby
17-Aug-2006, 13:29
I am in the proces of testing BTZS processes and I have only one AZO box (waiting for already orderred LODIMA).

Still, I think it would be cheaper for me do test on something which is more cheap than AZO paper. I already wasted like 20 sheets. Is there any enlarging photopaper which is suitable for contact printing and using Amidol formulas for development?

Thanks, Cheers

sanking
17-Aug-2006, 16:07
I am in the proces of testing BTZS processes and I have only one AZO box (waiting for already orderred LODIMA).

Still, I think it would be cheaper for me do test on something which is more cheap than AZO paper. I already wasted like 20 sheets. Is there any enlarging photopaper which is suitable for contact printing and using Amidol formulas for development?

Thanks, Cheers

You can use any silver gelatin paper for testing, either graded or VC. However, if you are contact printing with one of the light sources recommended for AZO, such as a RD-40 flood, you will need to reduce the wattage quite a bit. I have found that with the bulbs placed at the same distance from the printing frame a 65 watt RD-40 bulb prints on AZO in about the same time as a 7.5 watt tungsten night light on silver projection papers.

If you have an enlarger you could also contact print on regular silver papers.

Sandy

SAShruby
17-Aug-2006, 19:35
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for response, I do have 7.5W bulb only. My 10x10 enlarger is sitting in garage not assembled yet. No room in my darkroom. I building new place for it. I am surprised you use 65W R40 flood. I have 300W Flood light as Michael recommendation.

Cheers.

sanking
17-Aug-2006, 19:47
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for response, I do have 7.5W bulb only. My 10x10 enlarger is sitting in garage not assembled yet. No room in my darkroom. I building new place for it. How much exposure you give to 7.5W bulb?

Cheers.

If you place the 7.5 watt bulb about 36" from the printing frame your exposures should be in the 10-40 second range with most silver projection papers. Mine have been 20 seconds with both Ilford Multigrade IV and some old Kodak Polymax in some recent testing.

Sandy

SAShruby
18-Aug-2006, 06:24
Thanks Sandy for you input. Ilford Multigrade is a good choice and reasonably priced.