PDA

View Full Version : Canada Customs, Boxed Film and Canadian Clients of International Firms...

jim kitchen
17-Aug-2006, 00:36
Dear Group,

Just a heads up note...

Canada Customs is now opening boxed film, imported into Canada from an International source, delivered by all courier services to a personal address or a personal business address. This action could be totally random, and for the moment, undetermined.

Yesterday, a fresh box of 8X10 TMY from the View Camera Store, delivered by FedEx International Priority, had a Government of Canada Customs seal on it, noting that the box of film was opened and inspected by Canada Customs. Fred and Dennis are now cognizant about this issue.

I called FedEx to ask about this recent event, and FedEx told me that every package imported into Canada, from an International source, is handed over to Canada Customs. The imported package is cleared by Canada Customs, handed back to FedEx, and FedEx delivers the package to a Canadian customer. FedEx can not explain the actions of Canada Customs, nor were they about too. FedEx decided they will address this issue with Canada Customs, since it is a box of light sensitive film. Personally, I doubt FedEx will change Canada Customs mindset, regarding a box of film, due to the political climate we endure around the world, but FedEx did promise to inquire about the issue and get back to me directly.

That said, Kodak's paper seal surrounding the film was not opened. Could anyone tell me, from their own experience, how light proof this seal might be? Kodak's paper seal certainly looks like it is light proof...

I now believe that my delivered box of Ilford FP4 with a Customs seal on the box could be a different matter, especially if the Customs Inspector decided to take a look inside Ilford's plastic film bag. I will test a piece of film shortly to see if the film was accidently exposed.

This border crossing event for the moment, will more than likely impact any future purchase I might make, regarding boxed film from any international source...

jim k

Joseph O'Neil
17-Aug-2006, 05:34
Hi Jim;
I have run into customs problems with film before, but not like yours. However, in my case, a nice but very firm letter to my local MP, and CC copies to Revenuce Canada, Minister or Trade and Minister of Finance, and to the media (make sure you send copies of th eletter off to both Globe and Mail and the National Post), will eventually get some action.

Waht you need to emphasize is that these actions are harming business. If it is jsut a hobby, you gian little ot no support, but if you point out that these actions are incurring business losses, you will get some attention.

The only thing you can do is make noise.

But BE POLITE. Firm, to the point, but the minute you loose it and get nasty, you will be written off. Attitude will loose the battle over any facts.

Good luck, and keep us all updated.

joe

PS - if all else fails, the cynical part of me thinks you should complain to the media that the government is purposely interferring with your right to produce artitisc gay nude, large format photos. The minute you make it political, it iwll be hands off. :)

Andrew O'Neill
25-Aug-2006, 09:28
Why don't you just buy your film from a Canadian source? I get all my film and paper from either Beau Photo in Vancouver, or The Camera Store in Calgary.

Nick_3536
25-Aug-2006, 09:29
Price
Choice

Capocheny
25-Aug-2006, 10:45
Jim,

A friend just sent me a box of 8x10 Provia up from LA and it came through unopened and unscathed!

I'm wondering whether this is just one of their routine, "open and inspect" the odd package scenarios as opposed to opening and inspecting "every" film package.

Have you exposed any of the film yet?

Cheers

jim kitchen
25-Aug-2006, 14:32
Dear Group,

My Ilford film was exposed along the edges, due to the packaging, from a separate delivery. My Kodak TMY survived, due to the internal packaging, also from a separate delivery. My selected choice of Canadian distributers happens to be very narrow, since the film is not always available, and I have no idea how old the film is until it arrives. The wait can be incredulously long for an order, and their pricing is not as competitive as you might think, and if I must buy a few boxes at a pop to keep my supply happy, I guess I should rethink that. For the moment I guess I just don't want too.

As for the Camera Store, albeit they treat me quite well as a customer, my order for Kodak TMY is three weeks old. To be fair, the Camera Store must wait for Kodak to fill an entire order, not just for my film order but other items too, before Kodak even thinks of shipping to a client. Other stores are certainly an option and they offered their services recently. I will consider their services now, due to my recent experience with Canada Customs and imported film.

So, when I wanted a package of film locally, and could not find one, I would order it from the View Camera Store in Arizona. The freshly boxed film arrived the next day at a competitive price and, or a small premium due to the FedEx International Priority delivery charge. Upon receipt, I became a happy camper. As for FedEx, UPS, USPS, and Canada Post using a ground delivery system, there are obviously boat connections somewhere in their itinerary...

jim "Some people are starting to call me Mohammed" k

JW Dewdney
25-Aug-2006, 16:43
Why don't you just buy your film from a Canadian source? I get all my film and paper from either Beau Photo in Vancouver, or The Camera Store in Calgary.

The last time I was in my home town (London, Ont) - a roll of Fuji NPS 120 cost me around $13 (about 10.75 USD at the time) - I'm guessing that's got something to do with it - though I'm sure the metropolitan centers would be better.

Michael Kadillak
25-Aug-2006, 21:54
The last time I was in my home town (London, Ont) - a roll of Fuji NPS 120 cost me around $13 (about 10.75 USD at the time) - I'm guessing that's got something to do with it - though I'm sure the metropolitan centers would be better.

At that price, who the hell can afford to make photographs?

If you come across through the customs station personally would they give you the same hard line? Might be worth shipping a load of it to a US border hotel and making a road trip to pick it up. What a drag.

Last time I crossed the border into Canada from my home state of Montana I just brought along a few prints and the crossing guard had no problem with the fact that I had film in closed boxes.

What has the civilized world come to?

Jim MacKenzie
26-Aug-2006, 08:40
My local camera store charges me $23 Canadian for a box of 25 FP-4 Plus 4x5. It's $21 from B&H in New York. November 2007 expiry - fresh enough for me.

I live in Saskatchewan, which isn't exactly the most civilized place in Canada. (Well, we are pretty civilized, but we like everyone to think we are simple folk who drive combine harvesters on the freeways.)

(Okay, the odd person actually does that, but most of us don't.)