PDA

View Full Version : New 5x7 Shen Hao

Pronier Jean Claude
16-Aug-2006, 00:25
Bonjour
Anyone could give me some informations about the new Shen Hao 5x7 camera?
Reference is FCL57-A
It's in walnut built and the focusion system is very near from the Philipps camera, with a knob under rear frame. According to pictures it seems a rather strong camera and the weight is only 3kg.
jean claude

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 05:25
As it`s brand new, I guess no one has ever seen one yet...
I looks very good though...
See here: http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html

Nick_3536
16-Aug-2006, 05:43
They've changed the back. I assume so it can take the 6x17 rollfilm back. Anybody know if the new back will fit older Shen 5x7s? And if it's available? I've tried emailing the factory but got nothing.

Geert
16-Aug-2006, 06:10
That looks very nice!

They skipped rack&pinions and changed the gear on the front standard to a Philips-alike system. I can tell you: it's a pain to move the standard from back to front that way if they didn't add some manner to quickly set the standard to another distance.

No shift or swing on the back... but I like the attachement to the base.
Rather lightweight for a 5x7.

G

scott_6029
16-Aug-2006, 07:05
Did you try Badger Graphics? they are helpful with Shen hao gear.

Pronier Jean Claude
16-Aug-2006, 07:47
Hello
Geert, I looked at the photograph on Badger Graphics and suppose unlocking the 2 knobs on the bed let it shitf back and forth to approch the focusing then locking the two knobs one can make acurate focusing with the rear big wheel...
Badger Graphics is waiting for first delivery within 2 or 3 weeks.
jean claude

Michael Graves
16-Aug-2006, 08:07
Anybody know how much it's going to sell for? I didn't see that on the website. Badger didn't have it posted yet.

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 08:15
I just got an email from Shen-Hao, they replied in less than an hour!

"Dear Sir:

Thank you!

The new FCL57-A camera is $1100.

The camera case is $38.

The 4x5 reducing back for 5x7 is $110.

Regards,

Zhang fuming"

It will be probably slightly more expensive from Badger. But shipping from Shanghai is expensive, so you`ll probably come out best from Badger anyway.

Pronier Jean Claude
16-Aug-2006, 08:32
Badger gave me by e-mail the info about availablility.Badger sell it for 1295$ without case and shipping is 65$ by USPS
Shen Hao send only by fedex 139$ but the wire bank transfer is not free.
It's rather a question of SAV ,in french wich means "services after selling" sorry, I don't remember how you say that.

Pronier Jean Claude
16-Aug-2006, 08:41
I just received explanations from Badger, find here after the copy:

Hi Jean Claude, The two knobs on the rear allow you to swing and extend the back further to the rear. The round focus knob under the rear standard moves the front standard on a gear for focusing. The back can also be moved for focus but it is much easier using the front gear.

I'm not convinced with that answer, in case you are very far from focus (changing lens for instance...) you are obliged to screw and screw with the rear command! rather tedious!

Pronier Jean Claude
16-Aug-2006, 08:48
Jean claude again
About focusing system goto the shen hao site and have a look to camera FCL810-A, there are many photos which show the focusing system better than long words.

Geert
16-Aug-2006, 09:46
Well, Jean-Claude,

I am very happy that I finished my latest camera in july this year. Before knowing of this new swing method on the Shen Hao, I incorporated similar features in my design, ouf!

I also use slotted wood for focussing, the locking knows are located at the bottom of the baseboard.
I used the camera on my trip to Bretagne last month and did not feel the urge to have a fine focussing mechanism like I had on my previously built cameras.
You can have a look at them here (http://sheetfilm.be/cams/). The oldest model has become obsolete and the 7x17 uses individual fine focussing on the back.

I'm not convinced with that answer, in case you are very far from focus (changing lens for instance...) you are obliged to screw and screw with the rear command! rather tedious!
Correct!!!

Greetings,
Geert

Darren Kruger
16-Aug-2006, 10:46
The new FCL57-A camera is $1100.

Any pricing information on their 5x12 camera?

-Darren

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 10:53
Any pricing information on their 5x12 camera?

-Darren

Yep. And a few others:

The FCL717-A camera is $3300.

The FCL810-A camera is $1700.

The HZX512-IIA camera is $2500.

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 11:20
Damn, this thread has led to some serious GAS! :D
With the 4x5 reduction back I`ll have a lot of flexibility and my 150mm Symmar-S will also cover 5x7(no movements though), my 250mm Fujinon would be a slightly-longer-than-normal lens, and the 161/2 R.D Artar would be a hefty long lens....

Hmm, if I sell my Shen 4x5 and the expensive Nikon 70-200 VR I rarely use, I might have a HZX57-IIAT coming my way in a few weeks...

Lee Hamiel
16-Aug-2006, 11:32
Amund:

I am looking for a 70-200 VR - let me know & I also have some LF equipment as well.

I'm a 4x5 & 35mm film/dslr user

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 11:55
Lee, I`ll try to sell the VR here in Norway first, as the 70-200 is really expensive here($2400), I`ll probably get close to what a new one costs at B&H...

Lee Hamiel
16-Aug-2006, 13:05
Thanks Amund for the response & I do understand - Good Luck

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2006, 17:20
Update: I already have buyer for the Nikon lens! Wow, that was fast! :)
The downside is that he can`t pick it up before the 29th... But I`ll manage 12 days..
So the finances for the SH 5x7 is already 98% there... GAS strike fast...

Charles Hohenstein
16-Aug-2006, 17:40
I just had a look at the Badger Graphic Shen Hao lineup, and I must say that I am impressed. I didn't realize that so many new items had been added. Now if they would just sell their studio camera and stand in 11x14 format and supply standard 11x14 film holders at a reasonable price, I would be quite excited.

Aaron Rocky
17-Aug-2006, 10:58
Why do they want to make such outdated camera for which film is scarce and expensive? A light 4x5 would make much more sense.

Scott Davis
17-Aug-2006, 11:24
Why do they want to make such outdated camera for which film is scarce and expensive? A light 4x5 would make much more sense.

Well, for starters, a 5x7 is twice the size filmwise of a 4x5. Second, the proportion of the format is nicer for portraits. Third, it gets you halfway to an 8x10 without the weight and size penalties. Fourth, most 4x5 lenses also cover 5x7, so it is an easy way for someone with a smaller format to step up without replacing or duplicating all their gear. You've obviously never shot a 5x7 or you wouldn't be asking that question.

Nick_3536
17-Aug-2006, 11:49
Plus just add the 4x5 back and it is a 4x5.

4x5 is okay for some things but it's a less then perfect format. OTOH is a perfect format.

Ron Marshall
17-Aug-2006, 15:30

I have a light-weight 4x5, Toho, and a 5x7. Both make sense for me.

Geert
17-Aug-2006, 15:42

huh? Scarce and expensive?

Every hobby is expensive. It depends on the level you want to excercise it. Luckily, the European counterweight 13x18cm is readily available here :-)

OTOH, you are correct about the leighweight remark. A 5x7 with a 4x5" reducing back might cut the costs on a new camera but you only benefit from the smaller film size and the ability to enlarge if you don't have a 5x7 enarger, like me. Packing an carrying a double weight camera is not funny.

G