PDA

View Full Version : 5 by 4 transparency film, faster than 100 ISO

lesley-anne
15-Aug-2006, 11:27
Hello, I am new to the forum, please be gentle with me. I have always shot on Fujichrome RDP 2 or 64T (Kodak) I really need a film i can use in low lighting levels that is faster than 100 ISO I can't find anything for 5 by 4 perhaps it simply does not exist. I usually push or pull the film, for this shot i am working on now i need two stops/stop and a half more than i can get out of the film. Does anyone know if there is any faster transparency film? Thanks your help is much appreciated.

Ron Marshall
15-Aug-2006, 11:42
Not transparency, but Badger has some ASA 400:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=636

Eric Leppanen
15-Aug-2006, 12:11
The fastest transparency film available in 4x5 is Astia 100F or Provia 100F pushed two stops. Astia is the least contrasty of these two, so it is probably the best candidate for a two-stop push.

It would be nice if Fuji would ship the new Provia 400X in sheet film format, but unfortunately I sincerely doubt this will ever happen. The older Provia 400F could in theory be pushed up to three stops (ISO 3200), and presumably 400X will have a similar capability. Can you fall back to MF or use a 6x9 roll-film back for this particular shot you are working on?

Hiro
15-Aug-2006, 14:08
I asked a Fuji rep. about ISO400 slides in sheets at the VC conference. He said they (Fuji USA) had been asking Fuji (Jpn), but Fuji (Jpn) wouldn't do it. I don't think Fuji has ever marketed ISO400 sheet slides anywhere. I'm not sure about Kodak but rather doubt if they would do that, either (maybe for a $10,000 min order?).

It seems pushing ISO100 films is the practical option. I've never pushed but pulled Provia by one stop (shot at ISO50 by mistake). They came out nicely, at least to my eyes. The data sheets say Provia and Astia can be used in the range of -1/2 to +2 (+1 for Velvia 100/100F).

Bruce Watson
15-Aug-2006, 15:02
You need more speed. You are pushing and pulling as a normal part of your workflow. It sure seems like you need negative film which generally solves both of these problems and doesn't get you the pulling/pushing service charges at the lab.

But if you really want tranny film, I with the people saying Astia and a two stop push.

Hiro
15-Aug-2006, 15:24
lesley-anne,
Sorry I didn't read your post carefully (as usual). If you need 2 stops beyond what the film is capable, 4x5 slides don't look good. Do you need "4x5 transparencies" as the final output?

Gordon Moat
15-Aug-2006, 17:00
Kodak E200 pushes very nicely with quite good results. Unfortunately the largest size is roll film. If you have a roll film back, either 6x7 or 6x9, this would work. One stop push will take you to ISO 320 and two stops works well for ISO 800. Beyond that there are some tricky settings, and no information from Kodak, though I have successfully pushed 4 2/3 stops using E200 on many occaissions.

Most ISO 100 transparency films don't change contrast too much with one stop push. Some are okay with two stops push. Beyond that is possible, but not in a linear manner, and not without contrast changing, often involves some colour shift. In general, figure exposure compensation of 1/3 to 2/3 extra exposure for three or more stops push. I don't have figures over five stops, since the primary lab I use charges much more for over five stops push. If you want to experiment, one hint is that an 80A is often way too strong, since many films will get a blue colour shift over three stops push; and 81A or 81B is often more than enough under low light situations. Anyway, if you have time to experiment, pick a film and try some push settings.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
<http://www.allgstudio.com>

CXC
15-Aug-2006, 20:16
I'm using some 25-year-old Ektachrome 200 (8x10), which still looks dang good if exposed accurately. It may be worth the time and money to investigate the out-of-date market, especially since it can be really cheap (I paid 20 cents per 8x10 sheet).

Warning: I can't speak to its push/pullability.