PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Ilfochrome

Paul Schilliger
31-Jan-2000, 17:36
So far, I have always been mounting my Ilfochrome prints on plastic or aluminium auto-adhesive plates, overlapping them with the matts. But I remember when visi ting Michael Fatali's gallery in Springdale some years ago, I noticed his (beaut iful!) prints where mounted the way black and white prints are mounted, that is with a heat press directly on the matt. I wonder how this process can be achieve d, since Ilfochrome cannot be heated. Two faces adhesive? Ilford's support could not answer me at the time. Glossy polyester require a very smooth surface. Mat paper is less demanding. Does anyone know about this technique?

Lanier Benkard
31-Jan-2000, 22:06
Paul, I don't know the answer to your question myself, but I do remember that the lightroom's website has a whole section on it. Rather than go there myself and then misconvey the information, I'll just point you there: The Lightroom (http://www.lightroom.com).

Paul Schilliger
1-Feb-2000, 16:29
Lanier, thanks for the link! The indications given there go in the same directio n as Dan's explanations. Dan, thanks a lot! I have to try this method. The first question that comes to m y mind though is: will this give acceptable results with the glossy polyester paper too? I have had prealabl e experiences of a very annoying "orange peel" finish on some supports. But I can think, because the adh esive will hold stronger on the polyester side than on the board's side, that it will flatten up with the time. Your indication on buffered boards and how to inactivate wooden frames are precious too. Where do y ou get that mylar stuff? An adhesive film? Thanks!