PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to 8x10 Velvia 100/100F

squiress
14-Aug-2006, 07:56
Before I spring some bucks for a Wehman 8x10, I thought it prudent to see what film was available out there. There seems to be an empty space on the shelf for Velvia in this size in a lot of the places I'm checking. If you were shooting landscapes, what would you use to replace this film to get similar grain and color saturation in 8x10? Thanks

Stew

Eric Leppanen
14-Aug-2006, 08:28
There seems to be an empty space on the shelf for Velvia in this size in a lot of the places I'm checking.

Have you tried Samy's Pasadena store at (626) 796-3300? I was part of a group that persuaded Fuji USA to stock 8x10 Velvia 100 in the USA earlier this year, so I am surprised that the initial build would already be depleted. The film order was placed through Samy's, although Fuji agreed to also stock local inventory so stores like Badger, B&H, etc. could also obtain some. If Fuji's inventory is indeed gone, that could be good news in that 8x10 Velvia demand appears to be strong. Of course, we need to make sure that Fuji continues to import this film!

Badger Graphics' web site still shows 8x10 Velvia 100 in stock.

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Aug-2006, 09:13
B&H has E100VS listed in 8X10 in their catalogue and on their website.

squiress
14-Aug-2006, 09:40
Samy's only had one box of ten sheets. It appears that this was in high demand. How much effort did it take to get Fuji to make a commitment to import? Badger does have it in stock by their website listing for a little more than Samy's.

I assume the the Kodak VS is similar to the Velvia?

Stew

Eric Leppanen
14-Aug-2006, 10:42
I am checking on 8x10 Velvia 100 availability. As Brian indicated, E100VS is its Kodak counterpart, so if you need a high contrast, high saturation film and Velvia is unavailable, then E100VS is the way to go. I used E100VS for 8x10 until the Velvia order came in.

Velvia 100 and E100VS have different color palettes (E100VS is particularly good with bright reds; it is an excellent film for Bryce Canyon at sunrise, for example) and preference is a matter of personal taste. I prefer Velvia 100 because of its better reciprocity characteristics and ability to push/pull.

It took some effort to get Fuji USA to initially stock Velvia (Fuji wanted a 100 box special order and a group of us committed to order 50+; Fuji decided make a 100 box build anyway and see how well the remaining boxes sold), but now since Velvia has been imported hopefully it will be easier to convince Fuji to maintain inventory. We shall see!

Rory_5244
14-Aug-2006, 17:46
8x10 E100VS at dusk. Arca-Swiss. Fujinon 240A.

http://www.trinidaddreamscape.net/pichost/columbus2.jpg

Ed K.
14-Aug-2006, 18:57
Kodak VS is indeed quite different stuff. Nobody mentioned grain, and perhaps nobody shooting 8x10 cares about it, however I find Velvia 100 to be nice and fine grained. You should try the films in 4x5 or something to see what you like. Who knows, you might like the Kodak emulsions more, you really can't take anyone else's word for it.

Velvia 100F is a lot like Provia 100F, ( but not the same ) enough so that they decided to make a faster version of the old Velvia as Velvia 100.

Biggest boon to the Fuji films is the lack of reciprocity during most shooting situations.

Also, if it turns out that you're worried about getting the film, you can get a frige for it, and just buy it all up front, or at least 100 boxes. 100 boxes of 8x10 is really not that much film when you're shooting alot.

In a few more months, maybe the rest of us would join you in a group order too.

squiress
15-Aug-2006, 01:16
Have been shooting Velvia, Provia and even some Astia in 4x5 Quickloads. Just ordered some E100VS in 4x5 loose to try in my 4x5 film holders. If I am going to start working with film holders, might as well try the 4x5s as well.

Thanks

squiress
15-Aug-2006, 06:39
Just a quick observation. Samy's had one box of Velvia 100 8x10 (10s) yesterday. Badger had sixteen. This morning I got the last three that Badger had. Samy's may still have one, but I don't think anybody else has any. I would still like to get a couple more. E100VS is still available at a number of locations.

Stew

Eric Leppanen
18-Aug-2006, 10:03
Samy's Pasadena store has told me that Fuji USA's remaining inventory of 8x10 Velvia 100 is gone. Based on their most recently available information from Fuji USA (one month ago), it looks like we'll have to do another group order to keep this film coming (even though our initial order sold out quickly, apparently the overall volume is too low for Fuji USA to stock it on an on-going basis). Fuji is looking for an order of 100 boxes (last time they accepted less than that, more like 60+) in order to start a production run.

So please submit your film orders to your friendly LF film retailer (I'll be using Samy's since they've started this whole thing, but Badger among others stocks it too), and when the overall total gets high enough Fuji will start another run (presumably production will take 3-4 months once the build is initiated).

If you need film immediately, Samy's as of yesterday had one box remaining. Otherwise, I can only suggest going with E100VS or importing directly from Japan through someone like Megaperls.

chris jordan
18-Aug-2006, 10:53
I find Astia 100F to be a vastly superior film to any of the other transparency films. It is finer grained than anything else out there, and has far wider exposure latitude-- close to what you get on negative film. Its ability to preserve detail in bright skies is really amazing. If you are scanning for digital prints, and want more color saturation, then that's an easy step in Photoshop.

~cj

Eric Leppanen
18-Aug-2006, 13:50
I find Astia 100F to be a vastly superior film to any of the other transparency films. It is finer grained than anything else out there, and has far wider exposure latitude-- close to what you get on negative film. Its ability to preserve detail in bright skies is really amazing. If you are scanning for digital prints, and want more color saturation, then that's an easy step in Photoshop.

~cjChris,

I think your work is incredible and as a humble amateur it's difficult for me to disagree with what you say. I carry Pro 160S with me for similar reasons: it scans well and has considerable latitude. But even in our digital age, for some of us, higher contrast, more saturated films play an important role because:

- Matching film contrast to scene contrast (in theory at least) results in the maximum amount of image information being recorded to film. I use Velvia for flat or overcast lighting, or during the first few minutes of "golden hour" when contrast is within a range that Velvia can handle. In such a case, tonal separation (or so-called "micro contrast") is enhanced by using the more contrasty film. I asked West Coast Imaging a year or so ago whether they recommended using Astia as a universal film as you suggest in your post; they said, for their particular digital workflow, that Provia was a better universal film since its somewhat higher contrast does a better job of recording fine micro detail. For these reasons, I carry Velvia, Provia and Pro 160S and match film contrast to scene. Of course, YMMV. Contrast can be added in Photoshop, but if the film doesn't record all the image information, you reach a point where there's nothing to add contrast to.
- For those of us (like me) who are not Photoshop literate, instructing an outside digital lab to make a bunch of specific contrast and color corrections can become very awkward (how do you communicate the particular shade of red you want, for example, when the lab operator resides 500 miles away?), and can result in multiple proof prints being sent back and forth, etc. (I've had this happen). It's much easier to have the chrome look almost exactly the way you want, so changes at print time are minimized. Giving instructions for dodging, burning and creative interpretation I have no problem with, but communicating a bunch of color changes is a pain.

Of course, this is just a temporary situation. Once your dream machine becomes available ("an 8x10 digital capture device that's about the same size and shape as an 8x10 film holder. You slide it in the back of the camera, pull out the dark slide, make an exposure just like normal, and within a minute or two it records a 2GB file right into its battery-powered 100GB internal flash memory.") we won't have to worry about any of this stuff, right? :)

Eric

Dirk Rösler
25-Aug-2006, 00:08
Fuji is looking for an order of 100 boxes (last time they accepted less than that, more like 60+) in order to start a production run.

Bear in mind the film is produced all the time and on sale here in Japan. It is just not being imported to where you are (which I understand makes it even more frustrating).

By the way, Fuji will increase their transparency film prices by 10% from September 1st (here in Japan, anyway, not sure about elsewhere).