PDA

View Full Version : Center Filter on Schneider 72mm XL

Larry Huppert
29-Mar-2000, 14:53
Do other folks using the 72XL find a center filter necessary or desirable when u sing 4x5 format? I've been doing some testing of the 72XL at and near it's cove rage limit. The results have made me want to do a comparison with a center filt er. With tall architectural subjects, the fall-off is quite noticable on a chro me. Could someone with a 72XL center filter comments on this issue?

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2000, 19:53
That is why center filters are made. The 72mm is no exception. I use it regularly on the Linhof Technorama 617 S III and the filter is a big improvement.

Larry Huppert
29-Mar-2000, 20:09
Bob - I know that is why center filters are made. I think we all just hope that someone has put together some glass which leaps beyond the laws of physics :-)

To be serious, I ask this question because in actual use, sometimes the benefit of a CF isn't enough to justify the pain that it causes (in the case of the 72XL, you can pretty much forget about using filters in front of the lens with the CF, and we all know the compromise involved when placing filters behind the lens). If I was using the 72XL with little movement on 4x5, I don't believe a CF would be needed most of the time. 6 x 17 format is probably another matter however.

Bob Salomon
30-Mar-2000, 10:06
If you see the fall off then the filter will improve the photo. Unless: A you overlight the edges B you like the effect C you can dodge and burn but then it's difficult to make matching prints D you do no movements to minimize the falloff and, if your camera has base tilts, any movement is prone to assymetric fall off.

I find using the filter is the only convenient solution.

But then we sell Heliopan and they make filters large enough to fit the front of any center filter.

heidis
30-Mar-2000, 20:36
I'm shortly going to get a Linhof 617 S III with 90mm lens (thanks for your info, Bob!), and I'm uncertain which center filter to get: Linhof or Heliopan? Will I get better, i.e. more precise results from the dedicated Linhof filter, or is Heliopan's version as good?

Thanks, Danny

Bob Salomon
30-Mar-2000, 23:55
The choice is between Schneider, Rodenstock and heliopan as Linhof does not make filters.

Heliopan would be the least expensive. Rodenstock will be the most effective and have the most neutral in color. Schneider will be the most expensive.

Bob Salomon
30-Mar-2000, 23:55
The choice is between Schneider, Rodenstock and heliopan as Linhof does not make filters.

Heliopan would be the least expensive. Rodenstock will be the most effective and be the most neutral in color. Schneider will be the most expensive.

Bruce Gavin
10-Jun-2000, 14:47
I'm wondering if the 72XL has the same proximity issues as does the 110 Scheider lens, where a filter would contact the front element. This makes me ask the question, are the Schneider center filters the only ones that will fit correctly on the 72XL lens? Or, would the Rodenstock and Heliopan CFs fit also? This question also applies to the 110 lens.