PDA

View Full Version : Reflex viewing hood

Gerry Harrison
11-Aug-2006, 18:07
Any opinions on the reflex viewing hoods..specifically the Cambo T-20 2.5 x magnification. It seems like a good idea..are there any surprises or dissapointments. eg...is 2.5 x magnification enough for focusing ? I wear glasses any problems there....I'm over 50..the eyes aren't quite what they used to be...I'm sure many can relate to that.

Thanks Gerry

robc
11-Aug-2006, 18:28
I use a Linhof reflex viewer. I like it. The only thing I find is that you need to put your eye to it and leave it there for a few seconds to let your eye adjust to the light level before you can see the GG clearly.

Other problems can be the position of the eyepiece. If it always points up then the camera has to be low enough so that you can get your head above it to look down on the eyepiece. That brings more foreground into image which is not always desirable. The linhof reflex viewer allows the eyepiece to be put up, down, left or right so thats not so much of a problem for me except its more comfortable to view when its in the up position.

Brian Ellis
11-Aug-2006, 19:10
I used the one made by Robert White for Ebony cameras. I didn't like it much and sold it after a few months use. The two main problems were that with any lens wider than about 135mm-150mm you couldn't see the entire image at once and it wasn't real easy to see the image except in bright light.

Capocheny
11-Aug-2006, 19:27
I use to have one for the Sinar but didn't like it for exactly the same reasons Brian mentioned.

Sold mine off too!

Cheers

Ralph Barker
11-Aug-2006, 19:32
I have a reflex viewer for my Toyo camras, purchased largely because I, too, thought it was a good idea. From experience, however, I've found that it's seldom at the right height for convenient viewing, and doesn't magnify the image sufficiently for fine focusing. I keep it, though, for the few times that it's really handy in the studio or on location. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Mahombi
12-Aug-2006, 06:58
I have had a T-20 for several years. I find it very useful and reasonably priced. As it doesn't fold down, it is slightly bulky. So, less useful if using a backpack that's short of space, as in my case. I had to modify mine to get it to fit on my Ebony. I would however, recommend using a focussing loupe for fine focussing. I don't think the magnification is enough on the T-20. At least for my eyesight. The eyepiece has a very soft and large rubber suround. So good for spectacle wearers.

Horseman makes an excellent folding binocular hood. It's top quality craftmanship, but at a price. This again can be quite bulky, even when it is collapsed down. Especially the binocular eye shade, which unclips from the main body.

Danny Burk
12-Aug-2006, 07:42
Unfortunately, Horseman discontinued their excellent bino reflex viewer some time ago. I use one with my Ebony and love it. They can occasionally be found on the used market, but they're quite scarce.

Edwin Lachica
26-Aug-2006, 11:08
Hello all,

Would anyone care to post pictures of the Horseman folding reflex viewer. My Sinar reflex is just too bulky to pack and was thinking of doing a mod or use existing parts like the mirror and magnifier to create a new one.

Many thanks.

Edwin

darr
26-Aug-2006, 12:58
Edwin, see the following thread for pixs:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005LXb&tag=

Edwin Lachica
26-Aug-2006, 14:43
Edwin, see the following thread for pixs:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005LXb&tag=

Thanks for the link dar. I've seen the pictures in the link before and have based initial sketches on them.

I haven't figured out how the mirror tilt mechanism works on the horseman folding viewer. So it would be really great if anyone is willing to post or e-mail me photos of the interiors and the tilt mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

Edwin.

P.S.
I promise to repost sketches and measurements of the mod I'll make for future reference to anyone interested.

neil poulsen
26-Aug-2006, 21:14
I wish they made one that was reversable, and at the same time could be attached via the International Graflok back attachment sliders. That would mean that it would have to come with its own ground glass, but given the expense of some of these new, it would be worth it. For one thing, it would be relatively universal, given how many cameras come with the International Graflok back feature.

For example, I considered the binocular viewer for the Arca-Swiss Classic-F, in spite of its huge expense. Then I learned from Arca (USA) that they only work in horizontal orientationl. Scratch that!

I'm pretty good at viewing images upside down and backwards; in fact, it's second nature. But using a 4x5 for architecture, it would be nice to make that double-check and know that the image is OK. Plus, sometimes one needs to show clients what the image looks like.

Any ideas?

Edwin Lachica
28-Aug-2006, 03:45
For example, I considered the binocular viewer for the Arca-Swiss Classic-F, in spite of its huge expense. Then I learned from Arca (USA) that they only work in horizontal orientationl. Scratch that!
Any ideas?

Neil,

My apologies in advance if I'm being presumptous or if I'm taking your statement out of context but I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Doesn't the Arca Swiss Reflex Viewer offer both vertical and horizontal views?

With the Sinar, I just have to rotate the groundglass to change views.

Cheers,

Edwin

Bob McCarthy
28-Aug-2006, 07:32
I don't use the T-20, but have the linhof viewer on the technika. I found it almost unusable with the standard GG. Don't test without a quality fresnel setup, which is mandatory (my opinion) when using a viewer.

Love mine BTW, but then I came from 35mm and especially med format where looking down a chimney was part of the program.

Bob

neil poulsen
2-Sep-2006, 17:46
Sorry to be so long in responding to your question.

I haven't tried it myself, but that's what I was told by the Arca-Swiss dealer in Chicago. She said that the Arca binocular viewer works only in the horizontal orientation.

I was flabbergasted, given Arca's thoughtful and intelligent design.

vicgin
5-Sep-2006, 06:35
Gerry,
I am older than you, and find a reflex hood immensely more comfortable than the cloth.
I use the Cambo model, I think its about 300.00+. Its great for compositing, and have not had difficulty focusing. I am sure there are better products, but this device keeps me out there shooting.
My neck can't handle the sine curve needed under a cloth for any lengthy focusing time.
Regards,
Herbert

darr
5-Sep-2006, 08:35
I use the Cambo Reflex Hood on my Ebony Field and the Arca Swiss Bio Hood on my Arca Monorails. I like them both since I do not like using a dark cloth. I started LF using the Cambo Reflex Hood with my first 4x5 camera (a Calumet) and when I sold the Calumet I kept the hood since I found I could have it modified for my Ebony. I probably would say I like the Arca Bio better, but I would not pass up a Cambo for $100 or less. The Cambo hood will rotate easily for horizontal/vertical compositions and I do not have a problem using the Arca in a vertical position.

Mike A
7-Sep-2006, 19:55
I had one modified for use on my 4x5, I used it once in the back yard for a test run and put it up for sale the next day, the hood was much easier for me.

Mike

Caracalla
12-Nov-2006, 20:48
I just purchased Ebony SV45U2 and as I was searching for the Horseman Bino Reflex Hood favorite by most photographers i found it to be discontinued. So, are there equivalent or perhaps better alternatives?

I am not pushing for better price vs. convenience but rather opposite.

Regards

dslater
14-Nov-2006, 10:08
Hi all,
I'm considering a linhof reflex viewer for my linhof. My only concern is that it appears to only have a 2x magnification. Is this really enough for critical focusing?