PDA

View Full Version : Once size fits all?

Don Wallace
9-Aug-2006, 11:01
I have a Wisner 4x5 and an Ansco 8x10 with which I should 8x10 and 5x7. I would like to consolidate all of this into one camera. However, shooting 4x5 on an 8x10 with a bellows of any length would likely cause the bellows to be too cramped for any movements when using shorter lenses, even a 90mm. I was thinking that one camera body, with three backs and two sets of bellows (or even three) might work. I suspect that this idea has been tried and discarded, but just in case, has anyone tried it? If so, is it worth it?

Donald Qualls
9-Aug-2006, 11:05
Doesn't seem like this would save you much weight or space over the 8x10 with reducing back for 5x7, plus a lightweight 4x5...

Nick_3536
9-Aug-2006, 11:06
I went with two cameras and one lensboard. For 4x5 and 5x7 I've got the Shen Hao 5x7. For 8x10 I've got an Ansco. Both have adapters to take Linhof lensboads. The Shen Hao actually has similar bellows length to the Ansco but goes wider.

I know you could get one of the modern 8x10s with multiple backs but I don't think you'll save any weight. Plus a wide 8x10 camera isn't that wide in 4x5 terms. Unless you intend to shoot all three formats on the same trip I'm not sure why you'd want one camera to do it all.

Kerry L. Thalmann
9-Aug-2006, 11:14
I have a Wisner 4x5 and an Ansco 8x10 with which I should 8x10 and 5x7. I would like to consolidate all of this into one camera. However, shooting 4x5 on an 8x10 with a bellows of any length would likely cause the bellows to be too cramped for any movements when using shorter lenses, even a 90mm. I was thinking that one camera body, with three backs and two sets of bellows (or even three) might work. I suspect that this idea has been tried and discarded, but just in case, has anyone tried it? If so, is it worth it?

Don,

You might want to consider a modular camera like an ARCA-SWISS line. You can start with a camera in one format and add format conversion kits (back and bellows) for the others. All formats can share a common front standard, rails and function carriers. For example, you could start with a 4x5 F-Line and add 5x7 and 8x10 conversion kits. Or, start with the 4x5 and add an 8x10 conversion kit and an 8x10 to 5x7 reducing back. Or start with a 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back and add an 8x10 conversion kit. Or, just get an 8x10 camera with bag and regular bellows and 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs. Due to the modular design of the ARCA-SWISS, the possible combinations are almost endless.

I personally started with a 4x5 F-Line and assembled my own 4x10 and 7x17 conversion kits. I have a variety of rails and front standards (a 110mm front standard for the 4x5 and 4x10 and a 171mm front standard with a 171/110mm lensboard adapter for the 7x17). I have also shot 6x12 and 6x17 roll film with this camera system. It was becuase of my ever changing format whims that I selected the ARCA-SWISS as my platform of choice. I have been very pleased with my decision. Swapping out parts and changing formats/configurations is a breeze.

Kerry

Don Wallace
10-Aug-2006, 06:04
In response to a few comments:

I shoot b&w and colour in 4x5, and only b&w in 5x7 and 8x10, and I often shoot all three formats on one trip. No matter how you measure or weigh it, one 8x10 camera with 3 backs is smaller than an 8x10, a 4x5, and three backs. Also, if I don't want to bring every format on one trip, I wouldn't need to repack. Right now, I have a pack for 8x10/5x7 and a pack for 4x5. I have to transfer all the small stuff (meters, loupe, etc.) from one to the other. For that reason, one complete kit would be nice. Also, one kit would allow me greater walking range. You can't walk very far with two, trust me. I suppose I COULD get one giant backpack, but the one I have now is pretty damn big. Maybe it is a little silly to shoot all three formats on one trip, but that's the way it is for me right now.

Kerry, I had not thought of Arca-Swiss, but I am definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.