PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use a pseudonym?

Al Seyle
9-Aug-2006, 10:13
I'm curious...if you are one who uses a pseudonym (or initials or 1st name only) on this forum, why don't you use your real full name? To me you lose cred --as if you have something to hide, IMHO.

Walter Calahan
9-Aug-2006, 10:29
On another site I use a psyeudonym just because I thought it was fun.

But why should anyone care?

And why should you judge?

Everyone is free to make choices, not rules to live by.

darr
9-Aug-2006, 10:45
My legal name is Darlene. My mother said I was suppose to be named Dawn. The lady in the labor and delivery-room next to my mom named her daughter Arlene, so my mom said she messed up under the drugs and told the nurse to write down Darlene on the birth certificate. (My folks were into "D's". I have three sisters named: Debbie, Dale and Donna. Go figure.) Anyhow, as a child my family always called me "Darr", my husband of 20+ years calls me "Darr", my nieces and nephews call me "Aunt Darr", my clients call me "Darr" and solicitors call me "Darlene". When someone calls and asks for "Darlene" I usually know they are not a friend. So please, just call me "Darr."

Scott Knowles
9-Aug-2006, 10:46
I don't but it's easy to understand. It has little to do with this forum, but hackers and/or data miners search everywhere, and it's likely they've already mined this place. The forum software packages, although having some good measure of security, aren't always safe from those who know how and either want the information to use or sell or like to create damage or havoc. I'll admit this is one obsecure forum, but none are immune anymore. After all what can you do with the list of large format cameras users these days? Ok, I won't answer that, but it doesn't take much imagination.

paulr
9-Aug-2006, 10:51
because i don't want the stupid things i say to be searchable 10 years from now!

David A. Goldfarb
9-Aug-2006, 10:54
I don't but it's easy to understand. There are a lot of people out there with outstanding arrest warrants, back taxes, overdue alimony and child support, not to mention known sex offenders, inside stock traders, card sharps, etc. I just assume anyone using a "handle" falls into one of these groups and feel we should respect their privacy.

tim atherton
9-Aug-2006, 10:57
I don't but it's easy to understand. There are a lot of people out there with outstanding arrest warrants, back taxes, overdue alimony and child support, not to mention known sex offenders, inside stock traders, card sharps, etc. I just assume anyone using a "handle" falls into one of these groups and feel we should respect their privacy.

or those who don't want terrorists or others miscriants they put away (or revenge for putting under) finding out where they are now....

Donald Qualls
9-Aug-2006, 11:00
So, David, if you see me on another forum under my pseudonym, "ImageMaker", you'll assume I'm in one of those low-life classes, but I'm perfectly okay if I'm using something that looks like a real name? Seems to me there are a lot of folks like those you describe who a) use their own names, and b) are just trying to get from Tuesday to Wednesday with body and soul still together. The fact they've done something they shouldn't have doesn't always imply they'll do it again (though there's pretty strong evidence that sex offenders will). And for those caught with alimony, child support, or back taxes, their only mistake may have been to trust the wrong folks (like a lawyer, for instance).

BrianShaw
9-Aug-2006, 11:50
I didn't realize until recently that there were so many people offended by the use of psuedonyms... but htis topic seems to come up on almost every forum I read. I'll have to change mine to my real name some day!

Turner Reich
9-Aug-2006, 12:03
It's easy, if a person makes a statement or comment on more than one site then he/she is said to be trolling. The net has it's rules and you learn or burn. The assumptions about criminal activity show the distrust people have in the sites. I wonder why anyone gives there name and person information with all those criminals out there.

The one I like is when someone makes a comment about a photographer and out of nowhere that photographer come on almost immediately and demands an appology. It's like they have software they run with their name to catch anyone making a negative comment about them. That's real trolling.

Pardon me now I have to check and see if someone is saying something about me on all of the internet sites.

Turner Reich

OK it's tr

Turner Reich
9-Aug-2006, 12:04
Sorry for the mistake in word use. I should have said "their" for their name.
Picked it up when trolling for comments about my name.

tr

Ron Stowell
9-Aug-2006, 12:23
Identity thief pure and simple and if that bothers anybody too bad!

darr
9-Aug-2006, 12:33
I understand about identity theft and the reasons others have posted as well (paulr you make me wonder why I even use my nickname :) ). Curious as to how people may go about picking their pseudonym names.

paulr
9-Aug-2006, 13:40

some of us don't use our full name, but don't make it too hard to figure out what it is ... website, profile, etc. etc..

which is to say, not everyone's completely ashamed of being an inside trader, sex offender, wife beater, or horse thief.

paulr
9-Aug-2006, 13:41
if someone wants to steal my identity ... ha!

joke's on them.

maybe i can arrange for the credit card bills and grant rejection letters to go to straight to their house.

cyrus
9-Aug-2006, 14:21
I don't use a pseudonym but names are irrelevant anyway.

Privacy is an important thing, even for the non-criminals. People "accidentally" disclose way too much info about themselves as it is, and this is dangerous. You're not necessarily "hiding something" if you chose not to disclose personal info particularly if its irrelevant personal info.

robc
9-Aug-2006, 14:25
I'm curious...if you are one who uses a pseudonym (or initials or 1st name only) on this forum, why don't you use your real full name? To me you lose cred --as if you have something to hide, IMHO.

OK, so you just dismissed thousands of very famous and very credible book authors as having no credibility. Now who's got no credibility?

Marko
9-Aug-2006, 16:17

I don't leave my house open to the public either and it still doesn't mean I got anything to hide.

It's all per need to know basis - anybody who thinks they have such a need should simply ask. But chances are, if you really need to ask, you don't really need to know. ;)

Jim Rice
9-Aug-2006, 16:27
I have found horse-thieving to be a bit cumbersome.

SAShruby
9-Aug-2006, 17:34
I use mine everywhere for 15 years. If you do search by my nicknname, it's me. BTW, Hruby is my last name and SAS is a software I am working. Best soft ever built. www.sas.com. Even Ebay has the same id.

Peter Hruby

Michael Graves
9-Aug-2006, 18:17
After my daddy named me Sue, I took on this psuedonym. It looks better on the cover of my books.

snuck
9-Aug-2006, 18:28
I like being semi-anonymous, especially on the internet. That said, this is a nice forum, with relatively few flamewars, so I'm almost regretting my decision.

Cheers

JW Dewdney
9-Aug-2006, 18:34
Why the hell WOULDN'T you use an alias? In these times of decreased personal security due to the Final Solution - oops - I mean patriot act... we need all the security we can get!

robc
9-Aug-2006, 18:45
If I use aliasing on my images in photoshop do my images lose credibility?

snuck
9-Aug-2006, 19:15
Why the hell WOULDN'T you use an alias? In these times of decreased personal security due to the Final Solution - oops - I mean patriot act... we need all the security we can get!

He knows too much... send for... the cleaners

Kirk Gittings
9-Aug-2006, 19:56
But why should anyone care?
And why should you judge?

In all sincerity, I think everyone who uses a psuedonym is trying to avoid responsibility for their public statements. All these other excuses are pure BS.

Knowing to whom you are talking is basic to civility. I get 20 emails a week privately from people who want to follow up with questions about information I have shared on this forum. I willingly share information in general, but I often refuse to waste my personal time and experience on people who don't have the simple common decency to identify themselves.

Marko
9-Aug-2006, 21:06
In all sincerity, I think everyone who uses a psuedonym is trying to avoid responsibility for their public statements. All these other excuses are pure BS.

Knowing to whom you are talking is basic to civility. I get 20 emails a week privately from people who want to follow up with questions about information I have shared on this forum. I willingly share information in general, but I often refuse to waste my personal time and experience on people who don't have the simple common decency to identify themselves.

Kirk,

We are all entitled to our opinions. I am certain that you were guided by both good set of reasons and your experience by arriving to yours, just like I was with mine. My bottom line is this: I will respect your reasoning enough to not dismiss it as BS even though I may disagree with your opinion.

Now, as for my reasoning - I find publicizing my full identity on the forum as akin to plastering my business card on every lampost in the city. While I have no reason to hide my name, that is definitely not the way I would like to make it known.

Whoever wishes to strike up a meaningful conversation with me but would prefer to know my full name is more than welcome to make use of the email address that is attached to my profile. I am on the other end and will respond to it, with a few well deserved exceptions.

If I find the request reasonable and the person on the other end equally respectable, as has happened here more than once, I will not just send my full name, but also my other, more durable email and even a phone number.

I don't think this is unreasonable or BS, it's just being prudent. If you think that I am overly paranoid, you've been lucky to have had much more peaceful life experience than me. Bear in mind, though, that our life experiences are not mutually exclusive, no matter how different.

Regards,

Marko

David A. Goldfarb
9-Aug-2006, 21:30
Generally, I find that the more professionalized a site is, the less likely it is that pseudonyms are used. Take a look at the forums on this site, for example--

http://www.mycpi.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3277

Some participants may have short names or trade names associated with their e-mail addresses, but they sign their posts with their full names usually.

I follow a number of academic discussion lists, and no one--really--not one person uses a handle on any of them. Everyone signs their name, and if you're curious about someone's work or background, you can look up their publications and their university affiliation. To use a pseudonym in such a group would just appear ridiculous, as it in fact would be.

For 15 years I've been active on a BBS that predated the web (it's still accessible by Telnet and runs in text-only mode), where everyone is required to be identifiable by their real name, and somehow, we've all survived.

I was joking about arrest warrants, cardsharps and such, but Kirk is right. I take people less seriously online, if they use a handle other than their name.

raucousimages
9-Aug-2006, 21:43
It's my company name and my web site, no real secrets. My wife had an internet stalker that was scarry for a couple of years. She never found my wifes real name but she was able to figure out what city we are in and what office complex she worked in by hacking her computer use. My wife is not happy about me useing my real name on the net but it dosent bother me much.

John Bates

Bobf
9-Aug-2006, 21:44

Knowing to whom you are talking is basic to civility. I get 20 emails a week privately from people who want to follow up with questions about information I have shared on this forum. I willingly share information in general, but I often refuse to waste my personal time and experience on people who don't have the simple common decency to identify themselves.Firstly, how do I know Kirk Grittings is the name you use in your everyday life? Secondly, and far more importantly, why should I care?

A name is just an identifier. Whether you use the identifier that was chosen for you by your parents, or a barcode number if you like, it still identifies you. You are talking to who you are talking to. It's not a mystery: I'm me, you are you, and that bloke over there is him (the one with the loud tie - no, not him, the one just behind... yeah, that one).

How do you "know who you are talking to" just because they use one identifier over another? It's an absurd notion. I find the whole idea bizzare and illogical. If I ever need you to cash a cheque for me, be assured I will use my full name, but until that happy day....

David is entirely correct though: I for one would not take me seriously for a minute...

Cheers,

Barry F
10-Aug-2006, 02:59
I don't really know why I use one - suppose I got fed up using my real name.

Anyway my main ones are: -
a)FEETHEA - it's Greek for 'snake' I believe and was called that when I changed departments at work without telling my work colleague who accused me of "sliding out of the office under the door like a snake"
b) GONAD - my on-line gaming name. 'Nuff said really - "Gonad's gonna get ya!"

j.e.simmons
10-Aug-2006, 05:25
Some of us have names that are so common there are frequently several people with the same name on a forum. For instance, in the years I've been on APUG there have been at least two other people with my same given name. Thus, I use initials and the nickname from the Hispanic side of the family.
juan

Kirk Gittings
10-Aug-2006, 07:37
FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.

Ken C
10-Aug-2006, 09:46
FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.

Personally, I think not being able to properly spell in what is presumably one's native language and/or not being able to use a spell checker impinges on one's credibility.

Donald Brewster
10-Aug-2006, 09:53
Because I'm really Edward Steichen. Or was it Imogen Cunningham? As long as people are having civil conversation about large format photography on this forum, I couldn't care less if the participants use their real name or a nom de plume. I use my real name on this forum because of the decent people here. I don't on most other forums . . . .

Geert
10-Aug-2006, 10:21
Personally, I think not being able to properly spell in what is presumably one's native language and/or not being able to use a spell checker impinges on one's credibility.

At least he makes nice pictures.

G

Bobf
10-Aug-2006, 10:30
FWIW,

Seriously, if people want to be taken seriously on this forum it is better to identify yourself and better yet back it up with some images somewhere on the web. Even with the limitations of reproductions on the web much can be told about your interests and knowledge base by your images, all of which makes it easier to answer peoples questions more appropriately or for that matter even have a decent arguement.Again, what does any of that have to do with which name you use? You can put up a website in any name you like - I have registered domains using "bobf" in them for various purposes, as well as as several using my given name - what does either prove? I'd certainly agree that being able to see people's work, albeit filtered through the screen resolution of a computer, is useful (I post some scans of my prints on APUG for that very reason) - but how does knowing those images are the work of Robert Franklin (or Robert Furrier, or Robert Faulkner etc etc etc) make any difference from knowing them as the work of Bobf? I am genuinely confused here.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

Willie had it covered in the 16th century...

I do wonder where this fixation that some have on finding out people's given names comes from. It does seem a very strange concept that you "know" someone online by knowing the name they were given at birth (assuming the name they are using is indeed that - which you can't) and yet this same individual is suspect because they use their first names or some token they have invented for themselves.

Of course, you are perfectly entitled to feel that way, but clearly there is not, by any means, a unanimous view on the subject.

Cheers,

Bobf
10-Aug-2006, 10:39
At least he makes nice pictures.

GWell, yes: that is mainly the point. Would the pictures suddenly drop in quality if they were made by the same person who happened to be known as KirkG on the Internet?

I suspect not.

Cheers,

Nick_3536
10-Aug-2006, 11:09
Any crook can make a pretty good shopping list by just reading most days postings here. Just a thought.

The internet has had names of all sorts forever. It's had it for reasons of privacy. It's had them for reasons of equality. It's had them because some people just like to pretend .

This isn't a forum that needs to protect people from certains kinds of personal invasions. But I wonder how often somebody from Kodak,Fuji etc wouldn't mind posting here in a non-offical capacity. Without getting hassled for something a guy above them did?

I wonder how many women post as males to avoid getting hassled? Or just to not be talked down to?

BTW Unless somebody puts in some sort of check system don't believe John Smith is any more of a real name then Pluto or Snoopy. They are just a combination of letters.

Clueless Winddancing
10-Aug-2006, 20:13
My filters are not the same as yours, what I see seems true now (for me) just as what you see is true for you. As I'm in a witless protection program that precludes the use of my "real" name, I use my real name but nobody believes it. It's like the best place to hide an elephant is in the middle of a three ring circus. Recently, the moderator of a prestegious forum that requests real names be used, asked me to use a false name. (So that he would not have to deal with complainers that point out my apparent false name?) Actually, I am Clueless.

Capocheny
10-Aug-2006, 21:42
I also use a pseudonym but when people contact me directly via email... I give them my real name!

Frankly, if I communicate with one of the members here and they don't respond with their real names... I usually will ask them for it. And, I've never had anyone refuse. So, IMHO, it's not a huge issue! :)

Cheers

Ed K.
10-Aug-2006, 22:28
FWIW,

Who cares if you take them seriously or not? At least you've let it be known what the requirement is for anyone wishing to apply to your list of accepted people. It seems to me that linking ones commerical web site via the signature is well, rather commerical; a sort of advertising. Indeed, that is fair enough as many who do that (such as you, KG ) are artists as well as professionals. At first blush, I find the web site links in the signature to be much more offensive than pen names, as it appears to be a way to boost search engine rankings by having links from a popular site. In your case, Kirk, I forgive you because you are at least doing everything you can to make it in this tough business - when I first saw the links though, it did make me wince.

So what bugs one person is not universal, one mans utopia is another mans dungeon.

In some cases, the pseudonym becomes a brand itself, as the author's posts are often good. Over time, many of us deal with the various people and learn their "real" names, which is nice. If the brand, the pen name or whatever, produces good thoughts and information, that deserves some respect and some appreciation for at least the entertainment they provide along the way too. I enjoy many of the writings of many of the psuedonym people as well as those with initials and partial names.

Many of us DO have images on the web and in print elsewhere. Images that we sold as parts of jobs, images that we don't get credits for, from clients who have contracts excluding the use of their company name for vendor publicity. Some of us have private web sites that share materials that do not have sufficient property or other releases to put on a web site legally.

In my case, my account was set up that way as I didn't know whether I would be involved in this board or not. After thinking about it, I decided that my first name and last initial, which are real, are more distinctive as there are others on the net with the same name as me who do different things. Like others, my interests on this board are not professional, and I would like to keep my full name separate in the search engines from this board, for professional reasons, as well as some small added security. Camera gear is expensive, and time is valuable too. Most everyone who has written me any kind of personal letter or dealt with me knows my real name, and they had a need to know it. It's not because there is anything to hide.

Seriously though, when I evolve to the point where I feel the need to have great photographers take me seriously, if that ever happens, I'll certainly send my full name and point you to my images. I won't hold my breath as to acceptance.

This is a nice, generally gentleman/gentlelady-like board where there is a good spirit, a good deal of candor and a weath of knowledge. Does it really matter that we have full legal names and ( if you care about them being truthful ), a verification system?

Meanwhile, you can laugh at me all you want when you see a post without a web site or a full name attached - that's your choice, and count on me to defend your right to make it.

Greg Lockrey
11-Aug-2006, 06:12
Because he's a cool guy ;>)

Kirk Gittings
11-Aug-2006, 06:23
Thank you Ed, for so thoroughly illustrating my point.

Jimi
11-Aug-2006, 15:06
For some strange reason I go by my real name on this forum, but on every other one (APUG, RFF, etc) I am known as Jerevan which is my handle and has been for something like ten years or something. I don't have a problem with nicks or aliases, for me it is part of the net culture.

Namewise, you can be yourself (as in using your real name) or you can use something else you like - but in the end people know you by whatever name you may choose and bad (or good) behaviour will follow you around, no matter what nickname you may choose - word goes, indeed...

Inverse
11-Aug-2006, 15:23
I use one as I don't want people to search for my name for work-related areas, and find naked models.

T Blair.

Only joking (the name that is), but the reason is true.

JW Dewdney
11-Aug-2006, 17:58
Thank you Ed, for so thoroughly illustrating my point.

I thought Ed made an excellent and thoroughly convincing point. Are you upset because he called you out?

Ralph Barker
11-Aug-2006, 19:25
Obviously, there are different points of view on the issue. Some prefer to hide or obscure their real identity for various reasons (either valid, perceived, or nefarious), while others prefer to be up-front and "honest" in their Web postings. Even though we "officially" encourage people to use their real names on this forum (largely for the reasons Kirk stated), we understand that some feel otherwise. That's fine.

To use the reciprocal of the original question as an example, many years ago, I chose to use my real name on the Internet because:

1. I felt it was more honest,

2. I often hired models over the Internet, where being able to track the "Net personna" to a real person was an essential part of avoiding no-shows,

3. I considered whatever Net presence I might develop as part of my professional "branding", and

4. I compensated for any additional risk by installing a good, monitored alarm system and using a large safe for my camera gear. (Anyone good enough to break the six-number combination won't be going after old cameras, and those who aren't will be defeated by the 900 pound (empty) weight and the fact that it's bolted to the concrete floor.)

So, while I understand the various reasons people may have for using "handles", I also take my hat off to those who have the guts to be themselves on the Net. Besides, would any of you believe that I used the name of Alexander Gardner during the Civil War, and that I'm an imortal? ;)

Keith Laban
12-Aug-2006, 02:52
In addition to restricting access to this forum to only those using their real name I would like to suggest that we also extend this to those who can prove a level of competence in image making.

On the basis of 'those that can do and those that can’t teach' I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. Personally I'd also deny access to anyone with a name like Dirk or Dick but accept that this could be seen as a step too far.

The following link is blatant advertising and I would therefore recommend that people regard anything that I have to say as complete bollox particularly as I also demonstrate an inability to spell and tpye.

robc
12-Aug-2006, 05:29
I reckon that those who insist on real names have an unhealthy preoccupation with identity. Usually follows that looking at their web site shows their name in vastly over emphasized lettering which just says "Look at me". Something to do with ego I think and that others don't want to play by their rules. ;)

p.s. I also talk bollocks but can spell(some of the time).

Neil Chapel
12-Aug-2006, 08:00
I totaly understand why people would want to protect their identity on the internet. It has nothing to do with low-class or something to hide. It's a matter of privacy in an environment that is intrusive by nature with a great potential for abuse.

DrPablo
12-Aug-2006, 09:55
I use a pseudonym because I'm a physician, and for many legal and ethical reasons I don't want people to directly contact me for medical advice. It's happened before. If it decreases the credibility of my posts, well, that's less important to me. Besides, I'd think you'd judge the credibility of a post by its information content, not by the username.

Paul Coppin
12-Aug-2006, 10:18
I post with my real name on this forum, but I have a full blown internet identity in other places. What the govt asks me to do on their behalf makes it "smart" to not be overly identifiable or obvious in some arenas. Also, until recently, being a civil servant meant I would be harassed [by government] for my public opinion. Pseudonym allows me to say what I really think about some topics without getting into a conflict of interest. BUT, alternate identities have questionable legality, including pseudonyms, so if people really want to find out who I am when I'm not me, its not too hard to find out.
Besides, having an internet alter ego means I can have a ripsnorting blogfest without the bother of anybody else getting their opinion in ;)
When I first joined this forum, there were only a couple of active "Paul"s, and that's who I was for quite awhile. Other mother's sons with no family originality have now clouded the scene some...:D

Bobf
12-Aug-2006, 12:31
Thank you Ed, for so thoroughly illustrating my point.I have no idea what this means in the context of Ed's post :confused: Would you care to elucidate?

Cheers,

Eric James
12-Aug-2006, 12:44
Bobf,

My take: irreverent sarcasm.

Cheers,

Kirk Gittings
12-Aug-2006, 13:03
I have no idea what this means in the context of Ed's post :confused: Would you care to elucidate?

Cheers,

Being contentious, sarcastic, defensive, petty? (take your pick depending on your point of view) while hiding behind a psuedonym.

Bobf
12-Aug-2006, 13:35
Being contentious, sarcastic, defensive, petty? (take your pick depending on your point of view) while hiding behind a psuedonym.I see (or rather I don't, as I didn't read any of that in to the post - possibly a little gentle leg pulling). In any case, I'll take amusingly contentious over bad mannered insults any day of the week - at least it shows some thought has been applied to the issue.

I'm still confused as to how not using ones full given name is "hiding" and all the other assertions, but clearly I am doomed to travel through life in continued ignorance of such things. I'll add them to the list...

Cheers,

DrPablo
12-Aug-2006, 13:39
I don't understand how using a pseudonym affects credibility, as if you can go look someone up to make sure they're qualified to speak.

As said above I am protecting my privacy, and with very good reason. But that doesn't mean I'm 'hiding' in any other way, and frankly I don't care about anyone else's last name. Furthermore, the inaccurate drivel that I occasionally offer here wouldn't be any more accurate if I used my whole name.

I think for most people, though, who have been through college in the age of the computer, we've gotten used to being on networks where we have aliases. This transfers over to our general internet use. Nothing wrong with that.

JW Dewdney
12-Aug-2006, 13:51
I totaly understand why people would want to protect their identity on the internet. It has nothing to do with low-class or something to hide.

I think that when people use that sort of rhetoric - that 'you must have something to hide', etc.. that it's a form of coercion or manipulation. yuck.

robc
12-Aug-2006, 14:24
the great thing about anonimity is that it is a great leveler. Stops people using their name to assert that they are correct even when they are wrong. i.e. what you say becomes more important than who you are or what your reputation suggests you might be. Or to put it in even simpler terms. Anonimity removes the pecking order which some people don't want.

Incidentally, pre Vbulletin, anonimity was allowed and in full operation without complaint as far as I remember. Only those who chose to put their name to something had it shown.

Kirk Gittings
12-Aug-2006, 18:06
My apologies..................

Not to belabor(sp?) the point, but I feel like I let myself drift from my original thought and that is about simple civility. I know a couple of well known photographers, who participate in this forum under psuedonyms. They do so for two reasons. One is to ask questions they fear will be perceived as dumb or to say outrageous things that they will not be held responsible for.

I think both reasons are pathetic and they get my dander up every time I see them post. That unfortunately has colored my perception of everyone who uses a psuedonym here.

BrianShaw
12-Aug-2006, 18:13
I'm tongue-tied... simply tongue-tied.

chris jordan
12-Aug-2006, 18:45
I have a cleverly devised pseudonym that I use on the web that no one will ever figure out. It gives me a feeling of warm safety to know I'm anonymous and protected.

~nadroJ sirhC

Artur Zeidler
12-Aug-2006, 19:09
Kirk,

so you mean Gasteazoro is really Robert Adams?

And Petronio is John Sexton?

Damn

David A. Goldfarb
12-Aug-2006, 19:14
John Sexton sometimes logs into APUG as "John Sexton." I think he's shown up here, too, if I recall. Jock Sturges also posts under his own name occasionally on a few different forums.

JW Dewdney
12-Aug-2006, 20:56
John Sexton sometimes logs into APUG as "John Sexton." I think he's shown up here, too, if I recall. Jock Sturges also posts under his own name occasionally on a few different forums.

Now - if ya wanna talk about people who 'need to hide under a pseudonym' - Jock Sturges.... AHEM!!

Blueberrydesk
12-Aug-2006, 21:57
Didn't you folks ever read Vernor Vinge's "True Names and other Dangers"?

Great early seventies sci-fi short stories book that not only predicted the developement of the internet but took it one step farther.

And incidentally, I'm pretty computer-moronic and hadn't realized that when I was picking a login name it was going to be used as my screen name. Just 'cause I'm a moron with computers doesn't mean I'm hiding anything.....or does it? ;)

Paul Cocklin

Randy H
13-Aug-2006, 06:37
Identity preservation/security. When you log on to the network either from home or office or wherever, is your password and screen name both the same, and is it your real full name? The name I use here is real first name, last initial. It was chosen FOR me by LF forum admins. On other sites, I use a different name (same on all of them), have an alternate e-mail on one of the free internet mail sites, and when I receive email under that name, it goes directly to trash. Simplifies life, eliminates spam and garbage.

John Louis
14-Aug-2006, 05:08
". . . . I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. . . ."

Mr Laban, I understand that you speak "with tongue in cheek"?

Many who make posts on this forum are really wanting information and if professional teachers are willing to help gratis I think their knowledge is appreciated.

Keith Laban
14-Aug-2006, 06:13
". . . . I would also like to see the exclusion of anyone who makes a proportion of their income from teaching anything and in particular photography. . . ."

Mr Laban, I understand that you speak "with tongue in cheek"?

Firmly ;-)

Wayne
14-Aug-2006, 15:49
Heck, I wish certain people who posted on this thread under their real name WOULD use pseudonyms. Their lack of civility and egotistical behavior would be much less offensive that way.

Wayne

David Aimone
15-Oct-2010, 07:49
Just joining the thread...can you change your profile name/pseudonym once established? I'd actually like to use my name, since it's in my signature anyway!

I can't see where this can be done.

David Aimone
15-Oct-2010, 07:50
and an old inactive thread it is I see...

Sal Santamaura
15-Oct-2010, 09:01
and an old inactive thread it is I see...Old perhaps but, since you've posted to it, not inactive. :)

Adding to an existing thread is a perfectly appropriate thing to do. Preferable, in fact, to starting a duplicate thread. Would that more follow your example...

Ole Tjugen
15-Oct-2010, 10:02
because i don't want the stupid things i say to be searchable 10 years from now!

You would be surprised at how often I search for information on some obscure piece of optics, only to find the answer in an old post by - myself.

Not using a pseudonym helps me to remember how much I've forgotten. ;)

Vaughn
15-Oct-2010, 11:39
"Vaughn" is unique enough that I use just it. Saves on typing! LOL!

I would rather see nicknames or whatever, and then be able to see more info in their profile if I want. It would be nice if people would at least list their location (as general as they wish), so when they ask questions or make comments, we have some idea where they are coming from.

Vaughn

Tim k
15-Oct-2010, 12:10
Perhaps David was just pondering a thoughtful response.

For a few years.

Jack Dahlgren
15-Oct-2010, 12:30
Just joining the thread...can you change your profile name/pseudonym once established? I'd actually like to use my name, since it's in my signature anyway!

Try going to "My Settings", "Edit Profile" and fill in the "Custom User Title" field.

Mike Anderson
15-Oct-2010, 12:47
This is the only forum where I don't use a pseudonym, it just seems like that is this forum's culture. Other forums hardly anyone uses their real name (that's just their culture) and other forums explicitly state "do not use your real name".

...Mike

Sal Santamaura
15-Oct-2010, 13:22
...other forums explicitly state "do not use your real name"...Do they offer any reason why one shouldn't?

Mike Anderson
15-Oct-2010, 22:12
Do they offer any reason why one shouldn't?

No. Forum in question is webdeveloper.com, and the registration form had this:

In order to be able to post messages on the WebDeveloper.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below. DO NOT use your REAL NAME or EMAIL address as username!!!

I'm not sure why they're so emphatic about that.

...Mike

Ralph Barker
15-Oct-2010, 22:38

Just send a request to the moderators via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bruce Barlow
16-Oct-2010, 05:08
As a local school board member, I often find myself defending our school system in the local newspaper's online forum against all those cowards who use pseudonyms and write falsehoods - I have no patience for "truth by assertion." I use my own name, and challenge them for concrete, positive suggestions, and have never, ever received even one. Pseudonyms allow people to be dishonest and irresponsible, but I recognize that the previous is entirely different from here.

I use my real name because I believe that's what a good member of a community does. I want this forum to be a community. Come find me. It's easy. I want to meet all of you, shake your hand, swap stories, look at your pictures, take you to some of my favorite places to photograph around here, and grow a circle of friends. And unlike fighter pilots, I think call signs here are unnecessary.

But if they are, call me "Emperor," and offer obeisance! As Emperor, I could fix it all...but you won't like it!

Kevin Crisp
16-Oct-2010, 06:29
I'm OK, I'm not that Kevin Crisp.

Richard K.
16-Oct-2010, 07:08
After reading through these posts, I've decided to legally change my last name to K.

Richard K.
16-Oct-2010, 07:44
This was a sort of interesting thread and I don't want to get into it again but I honestly never ever considered that posting my real first name and real last initial might cause someone to doubt either my character or sincerity- I just more or less randomy decided to go with that rather than Rat Vomit, say. But, enough - I just want to say that there is something that bothers me more than whether one uses a psedonym or not (and I have no problem with pseudonyms; I feel that I can get to know people from their posts whether they post as Andrew or Dagor77 or whatever, just as an invented example)(I do worry about Mark S./Squirrel Nuts though). :) The thing that I am referring to is when you click a poster's name to view their public profile, there's nothing there. I'd really like to get to know a lot of people at least that way and it's frustrating to see...nothing! Thanks for listening.

Sirius Glass
16-Oct-2010, 08:22
Generally, I find that the more professionalized a site is, the less likely it is that pseudonyms are used. Take a look at the forums on this site, for example--

I use a pseudonym for professional reasons =>
1) I do not want my name splattered all over the internet when a background investigation is done for a work assignment.
2) In fact one of my employers has told us not to use our real names in the past so that they can keep a lower profile.
3) If someone wanted to steal my identity, a pseudonym makes it a little harder so they will go after someone else.
4) If someone wanted to figure out where I live so that they can break in as steal my equipment, a pseudonym makes it a little harder so they will go after someone else.
5) My pseudonym reflects the quantity and number of very good lenses I have.

Steve

biglewsmi
16-Oct-2010, 11:15
Wow, these forums are getting more and more petty. I come here to learn and share knowledge about photography. I couldn't care less if people use their real names or not. We don't need to know why some people do and some don't. Why should that matter? If the advice makes sense, then I'll use it no matter what the person's name is. I think some folks just have way to much time on their hands if the best thing they can find to do is complain about the use of names on a photography forum. Go take some pictures and forget about it.

Sirius Glass
16-Oct-2010, 11:38

Steve

John NYC
16-Oct-2010, 11:51
I use a pseudonym because I'd prefer to let my hobby (photography) be disconnected from my professional career. I want my fun to be fun and my work to be separate. I don't do it to *hide* anything because it is bad. I don't say things here that are bad in the first place. It's just that I don't really want to feel like people who work with me or are acquainted with me (who might not even know me well) can invade and read (easily) EVERYTHING I talk about in the fun parts of my life. Just like I don't record private dinner party conversations and post them on our internal message board at work for people to review after the weekend. That would be absurd. This board to *me* is a like a big dinner party where only photographers are invited and we are here to have fun.

If my career WAS photography, I'd be using my real name here, as I do on all the boards where I do things with my real career... because I'd be trying to promote my work. I don't care if I ever make a dime doing photography. I do it because I love it, and I have another career.

The idea that everything about a person needs to be public is a very new idea, and I think it is strange that so many people are violent proponents of this idea like it is something that has been the case for ages. It has not.

It seems to me from reading this board, that some of the people here that use their real names are just as much jerks as some people that don't. So, I don't think that using a real name helps anyone be civil.

al olson
16-Oct-2010, 13:16
I don’t use a pseudonym. My name is good enough. Other than mentioning location beneath my avatar, I don’t reveal additional personal information unless I choose to include it in a post. Anonymity won’t prevent someone from tracking me down to stealing my equipment, and they are highly unlikely to be a forum member.

Interestingly, I have noticed that many of those who choose pseudonyms however reveal additional information in their posts. They will sign off with a name or put their name in the signature line. They will also mention in a post, details about the area they inhabit, although they have not specified location.

It is helpful to know where people live as it better aids in the understanding of what they are photographing. It also helps for organizing group activities if there are other members in the locality. We have networked several members in the Pagosa-Durango area. If you are in southwestern Colorado look me up. At least have coffee. I am listed in the Southwestern Colorado phone book.

I enjoy the collegiality of this forum. It is a wonderful resource for discovering information about photography. I also enjoy helping others, providing information from my personal experience and knowledge. I find it easier to relate to posters (like Sandy King, Ken Lee, Kirk Gittings, Jim Galli, Ole Tjugen, Frank Petronio, Rick “Always confused about his middle name” Denny, et al) who use their real names and who are highly respected on this forum.

I find camaraderie here similar to being in a work environment or participating in activities with friends. I find it awkward to be introduced to someone who insists on using a pseudonym. That is not being petty. It is a courtesy. I'm with you, Bruce.

Barry Trabitz
16-Oct-2010, 13:52
I use a pseudonym, but sign my posts with my name. Between my wife and myself we have 6 email accounts. My pseudonym is used for this site only. This keeps the daily emails manageable.

rguinter
16-Oct-2010, 13:55
When I first joined this forum, there were only a couple of active "Paul"s, and that's who I was for quite awhile. Other mother's sons with no family originality have now clouded the scene some...:D

Could have been worse!

You could have been named Bob.

Bob G.

rguinter
16-Oct-2010, 14:04
Didn't you folks ever read Vernor Vinge's "True Names and other Dangers"?

Great early seventies sci-fi short stories book that not only predicted the developement of the internet but took it one step farther.

And incidentally, I'm pretty computer-moronic and hadn't realized that when I was picking a login name it was going to be used as my screen name. Just 'cause I'm a moron with computers doesn't mean I'm hiding anything.....or does it? ;)

Paul Cocklin

Seems to me the concept of "handles" or pseudonyms goes way back... long before the internet or even the thought of its development. Those of us in amateur radio and CB operators from the very early days all used (and continue to use) handles as identifiers.

I use Bob G. in signing, not to be secretive, but because I'm lazy and don't feel like typing my full name all the time. And my 1960s radio handle is (somewhat) inappropriate. Bob G.

rguinter
16-Oct-2010, 14:10
This was a sort of interesting thread and I don't want to get into it again but I honestly never ever considered that posting my real first name and real last initial might cause someone to doubt either my character or sincerity- I just more or less randomy decided to go with that rather than Rat Vomit, say. But, enough - I just want to say that there is something that bothers me more than whether one uses a psedonym or not (and I have no problem with pseudonyms; I feel that I can get to know people from their posts whether they post as Andrew or Dagor77 or whatever, just as an invented example)(I do worry about Mark S./Squirrel Nuts though). :) The thing that I am referring to is when you click a poster's name to view their public profile, there's nothing there. I'd really like to get to know a lot of people at least that way and it's frustrating to see...nothing! Thanks for listening.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think rats can vomit. Can they?

Bob G.

Richard K.
16-Oct-2010, 17:47
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think rats can vomit. Can they?

Bob G.

Good question. That was the name of a rock band I was in way back in the ....um...back in...time...:rolleyes:

rguinter
16-Oct-2010, 19:09
Good question. That was the name of a rock band I was in way back in the ....um...back in...time...:rolleyes:

Good one.

I too coined a name for a rock band some time ago.

"Woofie and the Toads"

Has a special meaning for a few of us who worked together in the 90's...

But will have to wait for my next lifetime I guess for me to use it. Too much arthritis in the wrist and thumbs for me to play my guitars anymore. So the vintage Guilds and Gibsons now sitting idle in the closet.

Bob G.

Alan Davenport
16-Oct-2010, 19:09
When I have taken the title, "Emperor of the Earth" and assumed my rightful place on the throne, THEN you may learn my real name.

Until then, you shall know me only by the pseudonym seen here.

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crap....... that is my real name, isn't it? Oh well, please vote for me for emperor. There's a cushy job for whoever casts the most votes.

Sirius Glass
16-Oct-2010, 19:22
My band was a quartet named the "Nick Haters"

"Tonight we introduced as a new band of four college students. Please give it up to the four 'Nick Haters'!" :p

That would happen about once at each new venue. Go figure ...

rguinter
17-Oct-2010, 07:04
My band was a quartet named the "Nick Haters"

"Tonight we introduced as a new band of four college students. Please give it up to the four 'Nick Haters'!" :p

That would happen about once at each new venue. Go figure ...

Did you have a theme song?

Ours was going to be "My Sweet Toads" with adapted lyrics and sung to music of the famous George Harrison tune.

Again... a special meaning for a few of us and no sacrilegious intent.

Bob G.

Vaughn
17-Oct-2010, 10:48
Some friends had an air band named the Buster Hymen Band...

Winger
17-Oct-2010, 17:23
I use Winger because it's been my nickname since high school. My middle name is Wing and somehow the nickname just happened. I don't hide my identity, but I just like going by Winger (I link to my website in my siggy usually). If I'd been using my real name, my last name has changed in the years since I started hanging out on the web so that would have meant changing my sign-on name - kinda a pain on most sites.
I also use a different name when I'm on non-photography sites and I don't give out as much info there (mommy type sites).

rguinter
17-Oct-2010, 18:06
Oh darn. And I was going to ask if you were Debra Winger.

I guess not. Cheers. Bob G.

AlexanderTkatschow
18-Oct-2010, 01:01

This has bothered me ever since I joined LFPF and today I tried to change this in my profile but I must really be an ignoramus because I can't find how to accomplish changing for a pseudonym to my actual name.
So, can someone please explain how this is done?

Ralph Barker
18-Oct-2010, 06:52
This has bothered me ever since I joined LFPF and today I tried to change this in my profile but I must really be an ignoramus because I can't find how to accomplish changing for a pseudonym to my actual name.
So, can someone please explain how this is done?

User IDs can only be changed by a moderator. Just send a request to us via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

Richard M. Coda
18-Oct-2010, 07:02
"My real name is Percival Sweetwater."
Rodney Dangerfield
:)

Richard K.
18-Oct-2010, 09:08
I don't understand why anyone would object to me not using my full last name when I quite happily post my photo there on the left <<<< ....:D

Winger
18-Oct-2010, 19:23
Oh darn. And I was going to ask if you were Debra Winger.

I guess not. Cheers. Bob G.
Nope. And not related to the 80s hair band Winger (though I liked them back then).

Curt
18-Oct-2010, 20:05
Chief Karlin: So, what's your name?
Fletch: Fletch.
Chief Karlin: Full name?
Fletch: Fletch F. Fletch.
Chief Karlin: I see, And what do you do for a living, Mr. Fletch?
Fletch: I'm a shepherd.
Chief Karlin: [to the arresting officers] Officers, could you excuse us for a few moments?
Fletch: Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other.
Chief Karlin: Why are you doing this, Mr. Fletch?
Fletch: I like men. I like to be manhandled. I like you.