PDA

View Full Version : Filter holder

DrPablo
9-Aug-2006, 06:52
I'm trying to find a 4x4 square filter holder that will fit both my 90mm f/5.6 super angulon xl and my 210 f/5.6 apo symmar. What can I get that won't be very expensive? The Lee system designed for the 90mm is very expensive and it looks like it wouldn't fit the 210.

Brian Ellis
9-Aug-2006, 08:24
I used the Lee system (hood, adapters, and filters) with my 210 APO Symmar lens and it worked fine. Why do you think it wouldn't fit? Is there perhaps something peculiar to your camera that creates a problem? I used the Lee system with a Tachihara and two Linhof Technikas, it worked fine with both though with polarizers it was a little more convenient on the Tachihara than the Linhof. I liked the Lee system for b&w photography, it was much lighter and easier to carry around than circular glass filters for each lens or glass filters with a bunch of adapters. My only problem with it was that the filters I used scratched very easily and were a little difficult to keep clean for that reason but I think some of my filters were made by Cokin rather than Lee.

Eric Leppanen
9-Aug-2006, 09:14
I suspect the problem is that the standard Lee screw-on holder (FK) may vignette the 90mm lens when movements are applied. The Lee press-on holder (FK100, which fits lenses with a 100mm front barrel diameter) solves this problem, but won't fit the 210 APO Symmar due to that lens' much smaller barrel. The FK100 also costs twice as much new as the FK. I'm assuming Dr. Pablo doesn't use the center filter with his 90mm SA-XL, which would require the larger and very expensive Lee FK115 press-on holder (must be custom ordered).

The cheapest solution would be to use the standard Lee holder for the 210 (the Lee gel snap holder would be even cheaper, but doesn't work with ND grads), and tape the filters directly to the 90. This is of course not an elegant solution, but it works if you only use one filter at a time, or don't use an ND grad filter.

You could also purchase an FK100 and have an adapter ring made (SK Grimes will do this) to fit it to your 210. However, this will probably cost as much as buying both the FK and FK100.

If tape doesn't work, I think your best bet would be to watch EBay for good used filter holders (the FK crops up pretty regularly, the FK100 is more rare). Like Brian I like the Lee filter system. It is very flexible, readily available on the used market, and can accommodate almost any camera/lens platform you can buy.

DrPablo
9-Aug-2006, 10:03
The Lee press-on holder (FK100, which fits lenses with a 100mm front barrel diameter) solves this problem, but won't fit the 210 APO Symmar due to that lens' much smaller barrel. The FK100 also costs twice as much new as the FK.

That's the holder I was thinking of. They're all pretty expensive -- I mean the adapter ring for the 90 is $70 unto itself.

How is the Hi-Tech holder?

Eric Leppanen
9-Aug-2006, 10:41
That's the holder I was thinking of. They're all pretty expensive -- I mean the adapter ring for the 90 is $70 unto itself.

How is the Hi-Tech holder?

I've used Hitech 4x4" filters (work fine in the Lee holder) but I have never tried a Hitech holder. The Hitech wide-angle holder looks interesting in that it apparently can be used on both your 90 and 210. IIRC the main issue with the Hitech filter system is that it does not support a compendium lens hood and is relatively rare on the used market. But if you don't need the hood then maybe the Hitech is a good way to go. Visual Departures is the Hitech distributor in the U.S.: http://www.visualdepartures.com/hitec1.html.

Used Lee components are significantly cheaper than new. A Lee 67mm wide-angle adapter just sold on Ebay of $26 (versus $60 new at B&H) and you can probably get a used FK holder for around $50. Presumably you could get a used FK100 for under $100 if you are patient.

DrPablo
9-Aug-2006, 11:44
Ironically I have a Calumet compendium hood that is normally sold bundled with a filter holder, but the person I bought my equipment from hadn't bought a filter holder with it. I haven't seen a way to get that particular holder separately.

Ted Harris
9-Aug-2006, 17:17
I really need a macro for this but .... call Jim at Midwest, he often has Lee holders and filters, etc. At great prices.