PDA

View Full Version : 4x10 metal camera?

Bruce Watson
6-Aug-2006, 08:53
Does anyone make a 4x10 metal field camera? My ideal camera would be optimized for light weight for backpacking. I'd like to see a weight down around 2.0Kg, but lower is always better. I could live without movements on the rear standard, but would need full movements on the front (so I could use the camera vertically as well as horizontally). Has such a best ever been made?

Oren Grad
6-Aug-2006, 09:37
Bruce, the closest thing I can think of is the new Fotoman 410PS (http://www.fotomancamera.com/prodect_list.asp?id=160). Unlike folding panorama view cameras, this one is well-suited to being flipped on its side for verticals. No movements, although I think they've been talking about producing shift adapters for their various models, which might help a bit.

Kerry L. Thalmann
6-Aug-2006, 10:36
Does anyone make a 4x10 metal field camera? My ideal camera would be optimized for light weight for backpacking. I'd like to see a weight down around 2.0Kg, but lower is always better. I could live without movements on the rear standard, but would need full movements on the front (so I could use the camera vertically as well as horizontally). Has such a best ever been made?

Bruce,

Nothing exactly like what you describe exists. In a metal 4x10, the Fotoman 410PS (http://www.fotomancamera.com/prodect_list.asp?id=160) Oren mentioned is the only commercially available option. However, it lacks movements. I haven't used the 4x10 model, but I have used the 6x12 and 6x17 Fotoman cameras. They are well made and quick and easy to use.

In a wooden camera, the Altview 410 WA (http://www.mpex.com/ItemDetail.aspx?SKUID=9855&SKU=30WMMS-0670&SN=NA01) comes the closest to meeting your description. It's lightwight and can be used in vertical and horizontal modes. No rear movements, and front rise and forward tilt only. It is a non-folding design. So, while lightweight, it is not very compact.

My personal 4x10 camera, the Lotus Swiss:
http://www.thalmann.com/Ebay/4X10_Lotus_Swiss.JPG

Is a hybrid wood/metal camera assembled from parts made by ARCA-SWISS and Lotus (and a few made in my garage). As shown it weighs 6½ lbs. (2.95 kg). I've made a few improvements since that photo was taken that have added a couple ounces to the weight, but made the camera nicer (geared front rise and axis tilt) and more rigid. It has full movements on the front and everything but rise on the rear. It was not designed to shhot in vertical mode, but could easily be adapted to do so. All it would require would be a second small dovetail mounting plate on one side of the rear frame that would add about 2 oz. to the weight. To get more front rise in the vertical mode, I have a spacer, made by ARCA-SWISS, that I use with my 7x17 Franken-ARCA when I need more front rise.

This camera, with the rails shown handles lenses from 90mm - 450mm. With a longer rail section, it easily handles a 600mm non-telephoto (the 600mm Fujinon C). If you don't plan on using longer lenses, you could save about 5 oz. by using the 30cm collapsible (folding) rail instead of the 30cm telescoping set (30cm extension bracket and two 15cm rail sections) shown. As I use longer lenses, I prefer the telescoping rail. For transport, I simply move the front and rear standards to one of the 15cm rail sections which then slide it out of the extension bracket. This makes it quite compact, but it is still very fast and easy to set-up/tear down. You can even leave a lens mounted on the camera during transport.

I did a two part series of articles on the 4x10 format for View Camera magazine last year. If you're interested in learning more about various 4x10 cameras and film holders (not all 4x10 holders are the same), I recommend you try to locate a copy of the Sept/Oct 2005 issue.

Kerry

Bruce Watson
7-Aug-2006, 15:42
I'm not seeing much out there. I wonder if I made a machined aluminum 4x10 similar to the Toho if anyone would be interested?

Bruce Watson
9-Aug-2006, 07:38
I did a two part series of articles on the 4x10 format for View Camera magazine last year. If you're interested in learning more about various 4x10 cameras and film holders (not all 4x10 holders are the same), I recommend you try to locate a copy of the Sept/Oct 2005 issue.
Finally uncovered the required issues of VC from my quagmire of a desk. Indeed, all the information I could wish for -- 4x10 from A to Z. I wish I'd read it when it was current, but back then I didn't give panoramics a second thought. Interesting how one's vision changes over time. Thank you very much for publishing the articles.

Kerry L. Thalmann
9-Aug-2006, 14:20
Finally uncovered the required issues of VC from my quagmire of a desk. Indeed, all the information I could wish for -- 4x10 from A to Z. I wish I'd read it when it was current, but back then I didn't give panoramics a second thought. Interesting how one's vision changes over time. Thank you very much for publishing the articles.

Bruce,

You're welcome. I'm glad you found the articles informative.

Kerry

cliff
9-Aug-2006, 18:35
Bruce,
http://www.lg4mat.net/ulfcamera.html