PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Ebay Surprises.....

Michael Graves
4-Aug-2006, 07:56
I picked up a set of 5x7 film holders on ebay about a week back. They were described as "nice". At the time, I didn't think I was getting a great price; just a good price. When they arrived today, they looked, felt and smelt like brand new. That was the first surprise.

I discovered they weren't brand new while cleaning them. The first three I cleaned had film loaded in them. They were notched for Tri-X. Don't use Tri-X and didn't trust unknown film, so I tossed them. The last one had perfectly exposed and developed negatives in them.

Huh?? Who puts negatives back in the film holders after developing them; and then sells them on Ebay? If any of you are looking for two interior shots you've misplaced drop me a line.

Capocheny
4-Aug-2006, 10:38
I picked up a set of 5x7 film holders on ebay about a week back. They were described as "nice". At the time, I didn't think I was getting a great price; just a good price. When they arrived today, they looked, felt and smelt like brand new. That was the first surprise.

I discovered they weren't brand new while cleaning them. The first three I cleaned had film loaded in them. They were notched for Tri-X. Don't use Tri-X and didn't trust unknown film, so I tossed them. The last one had perfectly exposed and developed negatives in them.

Huh?? Who puts negatives back in the film holders after developing them; and then sells them on Ebay? If any of you are looking for two interior shots you've misplaced drop me a line.

Hi Michael,

NOTHING is surprising on ebay these days! :)

Cheers

Paul Coppin
4-Aug-2006, 14:54
I have had this happen a few times (well, not with developed film in them). Bought 4x5 holders off ebay that came with Plus X preloaded...:) Maybe you should print those negs - good place to hide negs from prying eyes - :D

Gary Smith
4-Aug-2006, 15:18
Had the same thing happen to me. Bought 8 holders, and they were all loaded with Velvia 50, never had been exposed. Ruined one when I opened the holder the rest were fine. I will never turn down free film.

Gary

Michael Graves
4-Aug-2006, 15:55
The unexposed film didn't surprise me too much. I've had that happen before. It was the nicely exposed and perfectly developed negatives that got me. I wanted to have whoever shot them teach me technique.

Ash
5-Aug-2006, 04:37
I bought some half-plate holders. A few came with glass plates (one was cracked, but all showed fungus - I never bothered developing them) and one came with adapters to use 4x5 film. That was a pleasant surprise.

A not so pleasant surprise was that the seller shipped one of the holders knowing it had a snapped tab to pull up the dark slide. They said "I didn't think it was important"

Kevin Crisp
5-Aug-2006, 06:25
Obviously you should leave negative feedback.

Ash
5-Aug-2006, 07:00
Well I would have, if I hadn't cocked up a previous transaction (buying a camera I realised I didn't want, and had to cancel the payment with him) - I kinda called it even after that!

I left positive feedback but stated one item (of the 5) was damaged

Kevin Crisp
7-Aug-2006, 08:53
I think my comment was more along the lines of a bad pun for Michael's benefit.

Michael Graves
7-Aug-2006, 10:04
That's all right, Kevin. I caught it. It was actually kind of cute.

Michael Gudzinowicz
7-Aug-2006, 13:26
A friend once gave me an opened box of B&W film she no longer wished to use, and after developing landscapes taken in a US national park, I discovered a "mystery" negative of an Asian temple (no double exposure - very likely already developed). A few months later, while she was focusing her camera, I swapped it for one of her unexposed sheets and flipped the dark slide to the exposed position.

Matthew Cordery
7-Aug-2006, 16:43
I have better luck on Craigslist. I've scored some sweet darkroom gear in the last year off of it from people just walking away from it.

paulr
7-Aug-2006, 20:42
yeah, craigslist is amazing for things that are hard to ship. some people are happy just to have you take the stuff away.