PDA

View Full Version : Make a view camera the size of your car with this shutter

snuck
3-Aug-2006, 18:43
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gauthier-Big-Shutter-Display-in-full-working-condition_W0QQitemZ280013602205QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At first I didn't think much of it, but then I saw the rangefinder sitting beside it... Wonder where you'd find a lens that big....

Doug Dolde
3-Aug-2006, 19:22
Can you imagine what this idiot must be paying in Ebaby fees to list this? It's been on there for months. Who the hell would want it anyway? And $12,798.00 ????

Now if he would just include the camera with it maybe....

Then he has a Leitz lens for $32K and a Hassy 300mm lens for $26,880.

What a nut case

snuck
3-Aug-2006, 19:33
Can you imagine what this idiot must be paying in Ebaby fees to list this? It's been on there for months. Who the hell would want it anyway? And $12,798.00 ????

Now if he would just include the camera with it maybe....

Then he has a Leitz lens for $32K and a Hassy 300mm lens for $26,880.

What a nut case

yeah, given the amount of money, I'd rather buy a car over that. Or heck, a ULF outfit.

wfwhitaker
3-Aug-2006, 20:40
... Wonder where you'd find a lens that big....
Jim Galli, of course. Duh!!!

snuck
3-Aug-2006, 20:44
Jim Galli, of course. Duh!!!

And he would have bought it for 3 dollars too...

Mr. Galli, your infamy will live on I suspect...

Donald Qualls
3-Aug-2006, 21:38
Ole Tjugen probably has one that big, too.

Sadly, the shutter wouldn't be any help; it's a non-functioning training unit, intended to show the parts in a size large enough to see in a classroom setting without benefit of projection etc. Strictly a collector item, now that there aren't any shutter repair schools...

Ole Tjugen
3-Aug-2006, 23:42
Ole Tjugen probably has one that big, too.

Not quite that big. I think my largest lens has 14cm threads, and that one looks like about 16cm to my eyes.

I notice arsenall is selling two nice WA Aristostigmats too. I'm glad I just bought two of those, same focal lengths, for half the price he wants for one!

I wonder who buys his items? After all, he must sell something once in a while...

Donald Qualls
4-Aug-2006, 12:02
Ole, a guess: he sells everything on Second Chance offers, without paying completed auction fees because his reserve wasn't met?

harrykauf
4-Aug-2006, 13:34
Ole, a guess: he sells everything on Second Chance offers, without paying completed auction fees because his reserve wasnCt met?

Does a "Buy It Now" price count as a reserve? He is posting from a german account
and they don't have a reserve option on the german ebay.

Donald Qualls
5-Aug-2006, 10:15
No, if there's no reserve, there's no reserve fee; BIN is a separate auction, and if they don't permit reserves (which might explain why there are no major auction houses in Germany, if that rule applies to in-person auctions as well), the BIN would have to be set to disappear after first bid (with reserves, you can set BIN to vanish when reserve is met, instead, if preferred).

So, the other option is that the fellow is genuinely convinced his goods are worth what he's asking and is willing to pay repeated listing fees (not generally huge, regardless of price asked, because eBay takes a completed auction fee based on the final price) over and over to keep the items available for when the right buyer happens along. Not so much different from putting an item in a shop front, where it accounts for a fraction of your overhead cost while you keep it visible for prospective purchasers...