PDA

View Full Version : New camera?

Richard Schlesinger
3-Aug-2006, 10:06
Does anyone have information regarding the Goersi (Chinese made apparently) 'panoramic camera listed on E Bay? The photographs look quite nice, a (perhaps) neater version of Fotoman at half the price!

Ron Marshall
3-Aug-2006, 10:12
This is a link to a review:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/cameras/Gaoersi/page%201.htm

Oren Grad
3-Aug-2006, 10:51
More pix and limited info at the manufacturer's site:

http://www.focus-dayi.com/cp.php?nowmenuid=2498

Nick_3536
3-Aug-2006, 11:32
No idea. But does anybody know anything about the 6x17 back that Badger is selling? They list it with the Shen Hao stuff but it's got a different brand name on it. Also seems the new Shen Hao 5x7s have Graflok backs to take the 6x17 holder.

MJSfoto1956
3-Aug-2006, 17:41
I just purchased a Gaoersi 4x5 which will be reviewed in-depth in the premiere issue of MAGNAchrom. While I can't reveal the details of the article, I can tell you my experience with "Paul" of DaYi Camera Workshop. First of all, Paul responds generally within 24-48hrs of any email you send him. Secondly, you might as well order the camera directly from Gaoersi instead of eBay (it is the same company). In your email, you need to identify the camera, the specific lens you intend on mating to the lens assembly cone, and any accessories you want. He will then send you an email response as an "invoice" from which you will send payment via PayPal. A few weeks later your camera will arrive via Hong Kong post wrapped in Chinese newsprint and other assorted padding. You will have to mount and adjust your lens to the helical focusing lens adapter per the included instructions which they have printed from an article on the internet. As should be obvious by now, you can be assured that you are dealing with a "mom and pop" operation. The cameras are strong and cleverly designed. But many of the parts and machining are clearly hand-made instead of via CNC.

My findings: for my 75mm Rodenstock Grandagon N, the helical focusing marks are accurate at infinity through 10 meters. However, once you get to the 2 meter mark, the indicated focus is 1/2 meter out of focus!!! Closer is even worse. I verified this with a laser range finder and the BetterLight auto focusing mechanism. Thus, in frustration, I will have to paint out the focusing marks and then create my own scale if I ever want to use the indicated scale with any accuracy. My guess is that Gaoersi does not make the helical focusing mount. I also surmise that they don't make the finders either as I have seen them for sale by other Chinese companies.

In short, this is *not* a Linhof!!! (there are other issues, but you'll have to read the article to find out!) OTOH, the price is right. I can't vouch for their film backs as I already own Horseman 6x9 and 6x12 backs.