PDA

View Full Version : Question about View Camera article "bags, bags, bags,"

Matt Magruder
1-Aug-2006, 16:24
I was pointed this way that I might be able to get an answer about the article "bags, bags, bags" in the most recent issue of View Camera.

in the section on the Cabelas Fowl Proof bag its mentioned that an 8x10 fits it. What size view camera was used for the rest of the bags? Its not mentioned what size the gear is thats pictured 4x5? 5x7? or are they all in reference to 8x10? unless I just missed it. but Ive read and reread it and couldnt find it.

it was a little confusing. I found the info helpful but wondered what size field camera was used so that it would make more sense.

thanks in advance.

Ted Harris
1-Aug-2006, 18:08
Hi Matt,

I'll plead guilty to not captioning the equipment shown in the grouping as to what size camera it is since I thought it would be pretty clear it was a 4x5. I don't know of any metal folding cameras larger than 4x5 that would easily be confused with what you see in the picture, especially relative to the other equipment pictured. Not to mention that the film and holder is also a tipoff. Sorry for any confusion there. Also note that in the discussion fo the William Joseph bag I specifically mentioned that its taller 'lid' made it possible to use it with a Canham T57.

As a further clarification, the camera pictured with all the gear is a Toyo AII-L, the camera shown in the open Orvis bag is a Wista and the camera shown in the open William Joseph bag (as noted in the article) is the Canham Traditional 5x7.

Hope this helps and send me a PM if you want any more info.

Randy H
2-Aug-2006, 17:50
And if I started putting pictures of air-cooled exchangers on site, you would know immediately just by looking the pictures, the unit size, right? Just because one person is familiar with a series of products, one should not assume that everyone else is. That is how I ended up with an 8x10 Conley View for $23. Without something to gauge size by, it could as well have been a 2x3.

Ted Harris
2-Aug-2006, 18:35
Randy, great deal on your 8x10. Again, apologies for any confusion. However, in this instance there were comparison points such as the Pentax Digital Spotmeter and the Lenspen. Nonetheless, you are corect, I did assume too much. A caption would have helped.