PDA

View Full Version : Selenium toning

ronald lamarsh
31-Jul-2006, 08:50
Haven't been able to find anything in all my books about agitation of prints when selenium toning. would be interested in some input from the community.

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Jul-2006, 08:54
I constantly agitate the prints while in the Selenium. I usually tone two at a time, back to back and flip them over during the toning.

reellis67
31-Jul-2006, 09:36
I too agitate constantly, although I have no specific source for this technique, it just seemed like it would be a good idea and give even results.

- Randy

David Karp
31-Jul-2006, 15:48
I agree. Agitate constantly. This was John Sexton's recommendation at a workshop I took.

brian steinberger
31-Jul-2006, 16:39
Yes, you have to agitate continously so you don't get uneven toning. I always throw 5 minutes on the clock, even though most times I don't hit 5 minutes, it's just a reference. Remember to keep notes while experimenting with different times, temperatures, and dilutions!

Robert Hall
3-Aug-2006, 12:51
I would also recommend not being cheap on solution. If there is just enough to cover the print, you will get turbulance toning marks on the edges. Having a little more toner in the tray helps keep it even.

Paul Coppin
3-Aug-2006, 14:09
As an aside, I stopped at my nearest photo shop today (Canada's largest chain (no, not Black's, the other one... I said photo shop, not picture frame vendor {Cdn humour} :D) to pick up among other things, some selenium toner. Not seeing any on the shelf with the Sepia, asked the young man at the counter - Pause..."Oh, ah, film is almost, ah, dead, you should move to digital its much more fun!". He didn't have a clue what I was asking for.

Gary L. Quay
6-Aug-2006, 21:04
I agitate constantly. I think I read it first in a Kodak Data Guide printed in the 50's. I also seem to remember reading it in Ansel Adams "The Print," but since I'm not in the vicinity of that book at this time, don't quote me on it. A friend who works at Blue Moon Camera in St John's, Oregon (A wonderful, film-only shop) suggested mixing it 1:10 and keeping it in for no longer for 2 minutes for archival properties. I've been doing it that way with good results. On Forte paper, I get deep browns in a couple minutes.

Matthew Cordery
6-Aug-2006, 22:14
As an aside, I stopped at my nearest photo shop today (Canada's largest chain (no, not Black's, the other one... I said photo shop, not picture frame vendor {Cdn humour} :D) to pick up among other things, some selenium toner. Not seeing any on the shelf with the Sepia, asked the young man at the counter - Pause..."Oh, ah, film is almost, ah, dead, you should move to digital its much more fun!". He didn't have a clue what I was asking for.

Sounds like you're an agitator to me Paul. ;)