PDA

View Full Version : Does someone know about this plastic stuff?

Paul Schilliger
31-Jul-2006, 08:43
Some years ago I saw this stuff advertised at the local DIY store, but now that I need it it has disappeared from all hardware stores! Does someone know about this plastic that comes in pellets and can be formed after a quick bath in hot water? I bet that it would be good enough to make a cheap retaining ring for an old lens. It has this quality over the two components putties that it won't stick too much to the metal and therefore can be unscrewed like a nut once cold. Would someone have a trade name for this product? Thanks!

Paul Fitzgerald
31-Jul-2006, 23:22
Hi Paul,

I have no idea about this product BUT you could wrap the threads with teflon thread tape from the plumbing or auto dept. and use the 2 part putty. It might stick to the tape but the lens unscrews from the tape, then remove the tape and re-install. Perfect threads.

Just a thought

Paul Schilliger
31-Jul-2006, 23:39
Paul,

Yes that's a very good idea! I was reluctant to oiling the threads but did not think of using teflon tape which is of course much better and more secure.

Thanks!

Barry Young
1-Aug-2006, 04:07
Hi Paul:

Would you risk a lens falling out onto the pavement to save $20 on a retaining ring?

Paul Schilliger
1-Aug-2006, 05:46
Hi Barry,

Certainly not! Not even for the $80 that a large custom made retainer costs. But if the hole is tight and the job well done, I see no reason why this should happen. And most lenses have a back element larger than the plate hole anyway. That being said, if you want to send me a 60mm retaining ring for $20, I think I will accept the deal! Thanks for your concern!

Barry Young
2-Aug-2006, 02:15
Again, retention rings are $20,,,you are going to spend about half that on JB Weld (which is what the rest of you are talking about prolly) and not have results that are half as good. So, you are really risking a lens to save the difference between some patched up hoody job and the correct method of retaining a lens. $10 in other words. And it will take you more than $10 worth of labor to build a dam and wrap the threads with teflon tape (built in slop in the finished product). I guarantee, there is no lens manufacturer who uses Silly Putty to make lens retention rings.

Barry Young
2-Aug-2006, 02:16
How many would you like Paul?

Hi Barry,

Certainly not! Not even for the $80 that a large custom made retainer costs. But if the hole is tight and the job well done, I see no reason why this should happen. And most lenses have a back element larger than the plate hole anyway. That being said, if you want to send me a 60mm retaining ring for $20, I think I will accept the deal! Thanks for your concern!

Paul Schilliger
2-Aug-2006, 04:41
Hi Barry,

How many? Well, one would probably suffice unless you recommend putting two? (sorry couldn't resists!) :)

Would you have a metric 60xM.9 retainer for a Compound #3? If so please contact me off list so we can arrange it! Thanks in advance!

Paul