PDA

View Full Version : Another Dorff Question...

Capocheny
30-Jul-2006, 18:08
Greetings again,

I have another question about the Dorff 8x10...

There are two sets of control knobbs on the back end of the Dorff. The top set racks the top bed and the bottom set racks the lower bed.

When racking the bottom bed back towards the rear... it becomes really, really tight the closer it approaches the rear. I'm concerned that it may be causing damage to the teeth and grooves of the rails.

So, my question is, "Is there an adjustment screw to modify the tightness?"

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ed K.
30-Jul-2006, 18:22
Ahem...to clarify, you did notice that the opposite side knob tightens as you move the gear knob to extend the bed, right? The locking knob tightens "automatically" as you wind the bed out. If you did notice that, is the bed square?

Capocheny
30-Jul-2006, 18:44
Ahem...to clarify, you did notice that the opposite side knob tightens as you move the gear knob to extend the bed, right? The locking knob tightens "automatically" as you wind the bed out. If you did notice that, is the bed square?

Hi Ed,

LOL... yup, sure did! :)

Even when the locking knob is fully loosened up... racking backwards is still tight.

Yes, the bed is square. The camera was refinished (although I don't know who did the work) several years back before I bought it.

Cheers

Brian Ellis
31-Jul-2006, 09:17
There is no adjustment screw on Deardorffs. You could live with it, which is what I'd do if the binding doesn't become bad until very close to the end and if you don't need the extra room for a long lens. Or if it's a real problem talk with Richard Ritter and see what he suggests in the way of DIY or having him fix it for you.

Capocheny
31-Jul-2006, 09:55
There is no adjustment screw on Deardorffs. You could live with it, which is what I'd do if the binding doesn't become bad until very close to the end and if you don't need the extra room for a long lens. Or if it's a real problem talk with Richard Ritter and see what he suggests in the way of DIY or having him fix it for you.

Hi Brian,

Thanks... I'll send Richard off a note.

Cheers