PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara Stability

Wayne Crider
30-Jul-2006, 09:09
I have off and on considered buying a 4x5 Tachihara because of the price. Now that I want to persue a particular business idea in which case a fancy looking camera like the Tachi might draw potential customers attention, I am again looking hard at the brand. In a conversation a couple of weeks back with a friend of mine that has owned two of them in the past, he complained as to their rigidity over time and how his ownership of Wista's were so much the better. I'm just looking for an update as to this issue with anyone owning a newer Tachi and their thoughts.

Ken Lee
30-Jul-2006, 09:13
Its good looks will draw people. Mine did. My older Kodak No 2 with red bellows, does so even more.

Walter Calahan
30-Jul-2006, 09:36
In the world of digital, anything sitting on a tripod with a bellows, particularly with glittery brass, will draw attention.

Paul Coppin
30-Jul-2006, 09:44
I have 4x5 Tachi and I'm very satisfied. Even if Mr. Tachihara can't spell "field". :) A wood field camera's rigidity is directly proportional to how you treat it in the field, regardless of the brand. Could it be made more rigid? Sure. And heavier, and more expensive, and made of steel, and, and... I don't see a Tachi becoming less rigid with use except through abuse or lack of maintenance when required. For the difference in price, you can buy a fair bit of film...
The 8x10 might be a different story, given its size.

a user's personal observations here (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm).

Rick Haug
30-Jul-2006, 10:11
I purchased a 4x5 Tachihara about two years ago and am very satisfied with it. From reading in the archives it would seem that earlier models of the Tachihara were not as rigid in the front standard as the more current offerings. I regularly use a Fujinon 400mm T lens (fairly heavy) and have found no problems with a lack of rigidity. Having no personal experience with other field cameras I can't directly compare the Tachi to other models.

Rick

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2006, 13:09
Wista people always say this about Tachiharas, I think it bugs them that they paid hundreds of dollars more for a camera that is no better than (and in some respects, e.g. bellows extension, worse than) Tachiharas. : - ) In a more serious vein, I bought a Tachihara new around 1996 and used it for about four years. It's an excellent camera, well built, stable, more than adequate for most purposes. Tachiharas have been around for a long time - at least 15 years, maybe longer - so there are some older ones that through use and possibly mistreatment aren't as tight as the new ones. Also, Tachihara apparently has made some improvements over the years because the weight has gone from about 3 pounds to about 4 pounds so maybe people who find them less than perfectly stable are using older ones. Like Rick, I used a Fuji 400T lens with mine and had no stability problems at all. Ray McSavaney used a Tachihara for years, Dianna Larson, John Sexton's wife, uses one, I bought mine on John Sexton's recommendation, if those "endorsements" mean anything.

Oh yes, "fiel" isn't a misspelling of "field," it has some other meaning that was once explained to me but that I've now forgotten.

Ken Lee
30-Jul-2006, 13:34
"Like Rick, I used a Fuji 400T lens with mine and had no stability problems at all."

Same here. It's a terrific camera, no problems with rigidity, and the 400T is a rather substantial lens that sticks forward quite a bit. I used mine for a lot of close work also, with the bellows all the way out. No problem there either. You really can't go wrong.

jshanesy
30-Jul-2006, 17:33
They're a little light on bellows draw (I can't use my 300mm Dagor on my 4x5 Tachihara) but they're very well made. The beautiful Hokkaido cherry hardwood always elicits compliments, even from fellow photographers.

Ed Richards
30-Jul-2006, 18:47
Can you use a 90mm and have room for movements?

Adam Kavalunas
30-Jul-2006, 19:17
I use a 75mm on my Tachi without a recessed board, and i think it's possible to use a 65mm on it, although a recessed board may become necessary at that point. Dont forget that shorter lenses need less movements to change the focal plane.

Ed Richards
30-Jul-2006, 20:12
How does it compare with the stabiity of the Shen-Hao?

Eric Biggerstaff
30-Jul-2006, 20:20
I have used my Tachi for almost 10 years and love it. It is still a great performer and I use up to my Nikon 300mm on it with no problems. Small, lightweight, well built, and wonderful to look at, not bad for the price.

roteague
30-Jul-2006, 20:27
Why not just get a metal field camera?

Rick Haug
30-Jul-2006, 21:18
Hi Robert,
In the original post I think Wayne is interested in the Tachihara because of its distinctive look and affordable price. He has questions on the stability but that doesn't appear to be his primary factor in choosing a camera. Your Toyo AII (did I get the model right?) may be as solid as they come but I think its about twice the price and it wouldn't have that same "sexy" look as the Tachi.:) See the attached pic of the Fujinon 400 T lens on the 4x5 Tachi with its distinctive cherrywood and brass look. Female viewers might be checking out the good-looking photographer rather than the good-looking camera.:D

roteague
30-Jul-2006, 22:28
Hi Robert,
In the original post I think Wayne is interested in the Tachihara because of its distinctive look and affordable price. He has questions on the stability but that doesn't appear to be his primary factor in choosing a camera. Your Toyo AII (did I get the model right?) may be as solid as they come but I think its about twice the price and it wouldn't have that same "sexy" look as the Tachi.:) See the attached pic of the Fujinon 400 T lens on the 4x5 Tachi with its distinctive cherrywood and brass look. Female viewers might be checking out the good-looking photographer rather than the good-looking camera.:D

Hi Rick,

I think you are right. The Tachi really is a beautiful camera, IMO, the most beautiful of the wooden ones. I only suggested the metal, if everyone is complaning about rigidity issues (yes, I have the 45AII). I'm hoping to see Graeme's Tachi in October, you may have a convert on your hands. :)

I agree about the photographer - he is a pretty good fellow. I'm sure he is popular with the girls. :p

Kirk Fry
30-Jul-2006, 22:43
I own one of the early ones. The front standard is not very ridgid. I bought some stick on velcro and up it on the top of the front and back standards. I have a little wooden brace that that also has velcro on it that I stick across on the velcro on the standards when everything is set up. Works like a charm. If you want tank solid for cheap buy a CC401. You get what you pay for.

Walter Calahan
31-Jul-2006, 05:16
Paul, I have an older 4x5 Tachihara field camera rigged with a pinhole shutter, and "field" is misspelled too. Grin.

Never hurt the image quality though. HA!

Steve Hamley
31-Jul-2006, 05:35
Just a side comment here; what is "adequate rigidity"? People talk a lot about it but in reading a thread like this is also important to note what people don't say. I haven't read any mention that anyone thinks their actual pictures suffer a lack of sharpness because of it. Usually they're just feeling up their camera and assuming that it isn't rigid enough. :D

I once had an 8x10 wooden Canham field that you would have sworn could never have taken a decent picture because of the "lack of rigidity" in the rear standard that many have noted. yet this camera consistently took pictures as sharp as any other cameras I've ever owned.

Steve

Graeme Hird
31-Jul-2006, 05:43
I've had my Tachi since 1998 (it was built in 1997 if the serial number is indicative). I've never had a problem with rigidity.

Oh, and the Tachi is rock-solid too. :)

Cheers,
Graeme

Richard Deimel
31-Jul-2006, 05:56
Having had several Tachiharas and several Wistas over the years, I can tell you that the Wistas are better made of better materials. But Tachiharas will give entirely satisfactory service if they are treated well, and they are very pretty. Their good looks will attract attention where the understated good looks of the Wista will be passed by. However, Tachiharas will not stand up to rough treatment, and for that reason if I bought another Tachihara I would only buy it new.

Joseph O'Neil
31-Jul-2006, 15:16
I have a new Tachi, bought it about - oh, six months ago, after almost ten years of other 4x5 cameras. A few random thoughts...

1) buy new, unless you can inspect it first hand. The used prices of Tachiharas is crazy, especially when you see the wear and tear on them. You can get a good used one, but shop carefully.

2) If you want a really distinctive looking Tachi - get the Ebony & chrome model. :)

3) The only lens I have the Tachi will not handle is my 380mm, F5.6 Wollensak tele-raptar. Now that's one HUGE lens, and it is too large both by size, and IMO, weight as well.

They are not as robust as other 4x5 field cameras, IMO, but that has not been an issue for me. If you look after it, I think it is a camera that should last a long time.

joe

Brian Ellis
31-Jul-2006, 16:07
"They're a little light on bellows draw (I can't use my 300mm Dagor on my 4x5 Tachihara)."

It sounds like your bellows may have shrunk or be a little stiff, you should be able to use a 300mm normal lens on a Tachihara. When fully extended the bellows should go to 13" so you have an extra inch to play with when using a 300mm lens. I used a 300mm Nikon M on mine. You'll be a little limited in your close-focusing ability - IIRC I could focus to about 10-12 feet - but since 300mm lenses aren't usually used for close-ups that wasn't much of a limitation.

Jon Shiu
31-Jul-2006, 16:58
I use a 300mm Germinar on my Tachihara. I use a 30mm extension board, but it will work without it. The extension helps because my camera gets a bit jerky in focusing when it is extended to the maximum.

Jon Shiu
Elk, CA

Joseph O'Neil
1-Aug-2006, 05:09
I use a 300mm Germinar on my Tachihara. I use a 30mm extension board, but it will work without it. The extension helps because my camera gets a bit jerky in focusing when it is extended to the maximum.

Jon Shiu
Elk, CA

Perhaps not all 300mm lenses are created equal? :) The reason I ask, is my old Komura Tele 300mm focused just fine, with room to spare, and the 270mm G-Claron I now use also comes to focus, with room to spare.

Also, for what it is worth, my 180mm Sironoar and my 209mm RD Artar have almost exactly the same plane of focus. So it isn't just focal lenght, but type and style of lens too I think.

joe

Paul Coppin
1-Aug-2006, 13:42
I use a 75mm on my Tachi without a recessed board, and i think it's possible to use a 65mm on it, although a recessed board may become necessary at that point. Dont forget that shorter lenses need less movements to change the focal plane.

65mm will work without a recessed lensboard - pull the front back and push the back forward and you're in the zone. Movements are quite limted with a 65.

I wouldn't agree that Wistas are built with "better" materials. The rear standard is finger-jointed, which is rigid, along as the glue holds. Costs more to make that joint - higher labour. Tachis are steel braced on the corners. Materials wise, hardwood, brass or steel, bit of plastic here and there.

There may well be more labour in a Wista - fit and finish adds cost, and the Wista is twice as much money. Not trying to slam the Wista, but I think the Tachis are taking an unwarranted hit, value for price. Short of breaking something, nothing on Tachi can't be tightened up if necessary down the road, something I've seen to be needed eventually with all wooden cameras that are used.

But then, neither of them are Ebonys, are they ;)

Kevin Klazek
2-Aug-2006, 07:33
I have had my Tachi for about 2 years now with flawless performance (at least on the part of the camera, my mistakes aside). It is stable IMO and will provide solid results. What you get with a more expensive alternative is better materials and features, but you have determine if it is worth it to you or not. I would rather put my money into additional lens. You really cannot go wrong with a Tachi.

Pat Kearns
3-Aug-2006, 10:43
About 11 years ago I purchased a Calumet 4x5 Woodfield that was a Tachihara. I have to say it is a very well built camera and it is still in use. The quick release on my tripod wasn't locked one day and the camera survived the fall when I slung it up to my shoulder. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It is a very good looking camera that draws attention and comments. I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Alan Davenport
5-Aug-2006, 14:43
Can you use a 90mm and have room for movements?
Yes, although the movements will be restricted a little by the bellows. There's plenty of tilt available with a 90mm (I use an f/8 Super Angulon) -- you'll be working against the bellows if you want very much shift. It isn't so bad that I've not been able to use the movements I need. Of course you could get a recessed lensboard and solve this issue.