PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable Lens board/panels

Phillip Hillier
29-Jul-2006, 12:40
Having "tasted" large format work during a photography course I decided (after 26 years in 35mm) to extend my interests and venture into large format. Being on a very tight budget I sourced a Burke & James Orbit from ebay(UK).
Unfortunately, having played with the camera and studying the forums etc, I learned the lens was incapable of providing a workable image.
I have attempted to find out which other manufacturers lens boards fit the 'Orbit' but have come up with a blank.
The B&J Orbit lens panel measures 100 x 100 mm.
Can anyone help, please?

Phil

Paul Coppin
29-Jul-2006, 13:18
I don't know the orbit specifically, but if you can find a hobby or craft shop that sells birch "Baltic" or "Finnish" plywood its generally not difficult to make your own. 3 ply is often a reasonable fit, and it can be doubled in the centre if you need more thickness.

Glenn Thoreson
29-Jul-2006, 17:55
Some cameras of this design will accept regular 4X4 inch Graflex boards. Others will not. It depends on who was making this particular camera at a given point in time. If the Gaflex "C" board doesn't fit, I have used a plain piece of 1/8 inch aluminum without problem. Beseler 23 and 45 enlarger boards will do fine, with a little trimming. You may want to contact Jim in the used department at Midwest Photo Exchange. A good source for used equipment and parts. Very helpful. http://www.mpex.com

Rick Haug
30-Jul-2006, 15:39
Hi Phillip,
I have an old monorail camera, a Calumet CC400, which uses square lensboards measuring 100 x 100mm. This camera was marketed under other names at times, including B&J Orbit. Is your camera a monorail? On the back side of your lensboard is there a narrow ridge running around the perimeter? If so you should be able to use square Calumet lensboards, often labeled in size as 4" x 4". I frequently see these offered on eBay in the U.S. Perhaps Calumet still has some of these small-size lensboards in stock. Make sure not to get the other square lensboard available from Calumet/Cambo which is larger (about 6" or 150mm square).

Jim Jones
1-Aug-2006, 19:28
My 5x7 B&J Saturn monorail uses the same 4x4 boards as 4x5 Speed Graphic Anniversary, many older models of B&J press, and countless other cameras. Such boards can be easily made of 1/8 inch Masonite, plywood, MDF, or the Baltic birch available in hobby shops. One might get by with just the 4" square, although the 3.5" square light trap seems worthwhile. The rabbet on such boards can also be cut on a router or table saw from 1/4 inch material. Temporary boards can be built up from solid cardboard.

Phillip Hillier
10-Mar-2007, 15:22
I don't know the orbit specifically, but if you can find a hobby or craft shop that sells birch "Baltic" or "Finnish" plywood its generally not difficult to make your own. 3 ply is often a reasonable fit, and it can be doubled in the centre if you need more thickness.
Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay in replying - still learning to navigate around here and busy with life.
I think I should have gone for a 5x7 myself - might 'graduate' later :)
Thanks for the info - that should come in very usefull.
I contacted my local engineering shop - they cut and drilled one to fit my lens for GB£5:00/plate.

So what's the 'Saturn' like?

Phil

Phillip Hillier
10-Mar-2007, 15:34
Hi Phillip,
I have an old monorail camera, a Calumet CC400, which uses square lensboards measuring 100 x 100mm. This camera was marketed under other names at times, including B&J Orbit. Is your camera a monorail? On the back side of your lensboard is there a narrow ridge running around the perimeter? If so you should be able to use square Calumet lensboards, often labeled in size as 4" x 4". I frequently see these offered on eBay in the U.S. Perhaps Calumet still has some of these small-size lensboards in stock. Make sure not to get the other square lensboard available from Calumet/Cambo which is larger (about 6" or 150mm square).
Hi Rick,
Yes, mine is the monorail view camera with rotating back - my main reason for purchasing this model. I have contacted a local machine shop who have cut and drilled /bored lens boards to fit camera and lens and very reasonably too.
Yes there is a ridge on the lens panel to prevent the lens board falling into the camera.
I have seen the 4x4" boards on ebay but wasnt sure if they were the correct fitting - nice to know they should be!

Thanks

Phil