PDA

View Full Version : sprucing up a Deardorff 8x10

jonathan smith
28-Jul-2006, 09:57
Hello- I'm trying to find out how to replace the bellows on a Deardorff 8x10, as well as fix other smaller issues with it. There are a couple of posts on the forum that mention Camera Bellows in the UK as being an option, but I've gotten no response from them and don't know if they still exist. Does anyone have any advice on finding a good repairperson?
Is this an expensive and time consuming project to get involved in? There are used dorffs in decent condition. Also, is it true that Deardorff has started making cameras again?
Thanks- Jon

Kevin Crisp
28-Jul-2006, 10:09
I am sure Camera Bellows is fine. I used Western Bellow in Ontario, California and they did a great job making and installing the bellows on a 4X5 Special. They said they were an OEM supplier.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jul-2006, 10:12
Western Bellow Company
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

(909) 980-0606

OK, not Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga.

David Karp
28-Jul-2006, 10:17
Yes,

I believe that Jack Deardorff is back in business in Indiana making cameras under the old design. If you are interested, you might contact Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo (MPEX.com). I believe they are a dealer for the new Deardorffs.

Brian Ellis
28-Jul-2006, 11:10
Richard Ritter can probably make any repairs you need made. He fixed four or five small things on my former Deardorff for about $300.

kjsphotography
28-Jul-2006, 13:56
Do you have any contact information for Richard Ritter?

Thanks,

Kev

Bruce Barlow
28-Jul-2006, 14:00
Richard Ritter can be found at 802-365-7807.

He uses Camera Bellows in England, with fine results and good service.

Ben Hopson
28-Jul-2006, 15:10
Richard Ritter's web site.
http://www.lg4mat.net/

Robert A. Zeichner
29-Jul-2006, 10:42
I had Western Bellows re-make a bellows for my Deardorff 8x10 and they did a superb job. What you will need to do is to remove the camera back and the series of oval head nickel plated screws around the rear "box" of the camera. They hold in the rear frame of bellows. You then extend the now free bellows until you can see (feel) a series of screws that will be painted black and that hold the front bellows frame to the front standard. With those now removed, you should be able to extract the entire bellows assembly from the camera. You will need to send this to Western as they will remove the bellows from your frame and install the new one to it so it should fit perfectly back into your camera with all the screw holes perfectly aligned. That's how it worked for me and you should likewise have no problem. The only other thing I did was to pencil the word "top" on the frames so there would be no chance of error when re-installing. One word of caution: It seems rather elementary to say that you should choose a screwdriver with a blade that closely fits the screw heads. This is really important if you don't want to mar the mahogany around the screw holes or butcher the heads and particularly important inside the front of the bellows where everything is black and the heads are hard to see. If your blade is too small, you will very likely slip out of the head repeatedly and gore the surrounding area of the frame. Sounds simple enough, but you would be surprised how many cameras are bungged up because of this.

Jon Wilson
29-Jul-2006, 17:55
Robert provides you with an excellent description of how to remove the bellows and prepare it for reinstalling new bellows. I recently did the same with my V8. The only thing I would add is that installing the new bellows, I found using a very small stapler, i.e. 10mm 3/8" tapes, to attach the bellows to the V8 frame. Also, I would recommend in reinstalling the leather handle, you install bolts or other suitable item which is recessed in the frame and nuts which hold the nickel brackets for the leather handle. Thus, if you ever have to replace the handle, you will not have to remove or detach the bellows from the rear standard.
BTW, I purchased my bellows on ebay.

Good luck....I really enjoy my personally "restored" V8. Jon

Robert A. Zeichner
30-Jul-2006, 07:11
I should have probably been more specific, but when you get your bellows back from Western, the fabric will be completely attached to the your wooden frames, so you'll need only to re-fit the assembly into the camera and replace the screws. I don't believe you will have to staple or glue anything, at least I didn't.

John Kasaian
30-Jul-2006, 09:07
First you need to determin how your bellows frams are attached to the body. Most are as Robert described--look for the nickel plated oval head screws that screw from the outside of the box--and follow his directions. There are some 'dorffs out there that attach the frame with screws on the indise of the body. These are painted black and for some reason are subject to corrosion (how, I don't know) but I was told by Ken Hough that it is quite easy to strip the heads on these screws making them difficult to back out.

If you have nickle screws on the outside, you may want to proceed. If you have the inside screws instead I'd suggest going slowly or better yet, send it in to a shop that knows its 'dorff stuff.

Richard Ritter does excellent work. Jack Deardorff of course would be a good choice too. I'd be willing to bet Carol Miller could work on them as well, and Patrick Alt has done some flat out gorgeous restorations. On my last 'dorff surgery I bought the parts from Ken Hough and under his direction via telephone I got the ol' gal back in business.

Enjoy that 'dorff!

Kevin Crisp
30-Jul-2006, 19:57
Western Bellows will install it on your camera for an additional charge, which I don't remember being a huge amount more, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.